Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Interview with a Vampire (1994)

Care for some gopher?
Höstsonaten Autumn Sonata (Ingmar Bergman, 1978) -

What an absolute fantastic movie! Great characters and very powerfull performances. Especially Liv Ullmann's is an instant favourite. I really liked it how Bergman used mainly long close-ups to increase the intensity of the portrayed emotions. My favourite Bergman, so far.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (again) directed by Zack Snyder -

My curiosity drove me to see this a second time, and much to my surprise it actually got worse. Those few good scenes I held on to in the first viewing were ultimately bogged down by a unnecessarily depressing and serious jumbled mess that lacks purpose and structure. Any character that exists within the movie is given such a paper thin motivations that whenever something supposedly suspenseful or emotional happens, I lack any interest in the outcome of the horrifically bland events that unfold. I don't recall any of the actors or actresses being this bad, and maybe it's due to the horribly paced and forced writing, but every line of dialogue feels almost tortuous to try and sit through. And don't even get me started on how ridiculously this movie tries to force itself into have a shared universe, by cramming down our throats pointless scenes of character building for heroes we won't even see for the next two years. Hopefully Suicide Squad holds more hope for the DCU than this monster.

Passion of the Christ directed by Mel Gibson -

Throughout the film there are moments that I really started to lose interest in what was happening, there's no room to breathe in the movie. Once the brutality starts to begin you feel for it, and the discomfort they wanted to achieve was successful. The issue comes when you keep laying on the graphic violence to the point that the audience is numb to it, and it has no effect on them anymore. Not to mention how in a bizarre way it tries to intertwine flashbacks to add the potential levity, the problem is those flashbacks feel pointless and confusing without the prior context of the Bible. And that is an issue with other scenes as well. In the end it comes down to being a movie that isn't awful, but nothing deserving of praise, and not something I'll be watching anytime again, simply due to uninterest.

Passion of the Christ directed by Mel Gibson -

Throughout the film there are moments that I really started to lose interest in what was happening, there's no room to breathe in the movie. Once the brutality starts to begin you feel for it, and the discomfort they wanted to achieve was successful. The issue comes when you keep laying on the graphic violence to the point that the audience is numb to it, and it has no effect on them anymore. Not to mention how in a bizarre way it tries to intertwine flashbacks to add the potential levity, the problem is those flashbacks feel pointless and confusing without the prior context of the Bible. And that is an issue with other scenes as well. In the end it comes down to being a movie that isn't awful, but nothing deserving of praise, and not something I'll be watching anytime again, simply due to uninterest.

I watched this last week and these were my thoughts almost exactly. Numb is the proper word for the second half of the film.

God's Not Dead 2:

It's not just a horribly made, incoherently plotted, overacted movie. It's also an offensive and potentially dangerous piece of propaganda. This is hateful and ignorant, and it only exists to reinforce beliefs that the target audience already has. I could say the same things about the first one, but that was stupid enough to laugh at. This is just offensive.

What up!!

I just watched 5th wave at imoviesworld.com , Depends on what you like but ill give it a 7.5 worth a watch.

Peace

God's Not Dead 2:

It's not just a horribly made, incoherently plotted, overacted movie. It's also an offensive and potentially dangerous piece of propaganda. This is hateful and ignorant, and it only exists to reinforce beliefs that the target audience already has. I could say the same things about the first one, but that was stupid enough to laugh at. This is just offensive.
Yeah, when people overstate their case to an audience that already agrees with them it can be pretty frustrating.

Care for some gopher?
Ice Age 4 (Steve Martino/Mike Thurmeier, 2012) -

Better than the awful third movie but still not nearly as good as the first one.

The Royal Tenenbaums -

I took a little break from movies and came back to watch something. This is another movie that Redwell recommended me and i thank him. Easiest thing to say about this movie is good but not perfect, i felt it needed a little more push and it would be on point. Otherwise i reccomend to all of you take a watch of it.

Spotlight (2015)

I probably wouldn't have watched this had it not won the best picture Oscar. Living in Boston, this is a story I had already knew plenty about. It was never a story that interested me much, but rather one that would just make me shake my head when I saw the headlines. For most of this movie, I was more into watching the investigative journalism process. By the end of the movie, I was a little bit teary eyed. I thought it turned out to be a very well done and finely acted movie. I also loved the shout out to Santarpios, my favorite pizza place for the last 27 years.

Starred Up -

I heard allot of praise for this movie and gave it a shot. The story itself seemed decent, but i felt like it was quite short and at some points of the movie i was even bored. On the other point there were many great parts that made up for it. Jack O Connel (Eric Love) was amazing and Ben Mendelsohn (Neville Love, his father) did pretty good to but not at the same level as Jack did. If you like prison movies you will like this for sure, if not then so so.

Ant Man

I really wanted to like this, but it's just not working for me. Paul Rudd and Michael Pena give great comedic performances, but they don't have a lot of funny things to say. The visuals are great. They were very creative in handling the size changes. The plot was pretty much a redo of the first Iron Man, except less effective because the script isn't as funny and the villain is worse. The villain is an undeveloped nothing, as is the norm for Marvel movies. Evangeline Lilly's character was a waste. Apart from that annoying trope where the woman is the most qualified to be the hero but isn't because the studio wants a male hero, she had no chemistry with any other actor. It's not bad, just as not entertaining as I wanted.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Boy
First time seeing a film from Oshima, so wasn't sure what to expect. It's an impressive film that's beautifully filmed and happens to features one of the best child performances I've ever seen. It shows the destructive effect poor parenting has on children. In this particular film, the parents make the child get hit by cars, so they can extort money from people.
+

Princess Yang Kwei-Fei
One of Mizoguchi's weakest films, but it still has numerous redeeming qualities. The color is used effectively, the camera movements are impressive, and there are a few very powerful sequences.
-

I watched this last week and these were my thoughts almost exactly. Numb is the proper word for the second half of the film.
Yeah, this is an important piece of cinema...I saw it, am glad I saw it, but have never been into discussing it and have NO desire to re-visit it...ever.

* indicates a rewatch

The 5th Wave
J Blakeson | 2016

Annie Hall *
Woody Allen | 1977

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Zack Snyder | 2016

Fifty Shades of Black
Michael Tiddes | 2016

Hello, My Name is Doris
Michael Showalter | 2015

Justice League vs. Teen Titans