Movies That Are Underrated.....

Tools    

Breaking the Waves
I watched this one a while back and threw it on my top ten upon my first viewing. It's so masterful in its telling of the main character. Emily Watson's character totally reminded me of myself in my shyness and immaturity over most of my teenage years. It really struck some chords with me because of how accurately the subject matter was presented.
Speaking of which, I feel like just about all of Lars Von Trier's films are underrated. He gets dismissed as the Miley Cyrus of arthouse cinema, and I'm not sure I understand why. I've loved every film of his that I've watched, and he's steadily becoming one of my favorite directors. His films are genius, and I think he gets unfairly dismissed for his stupidity/insanity as a person.

I agree Greg, I have a soft spot for The Iron Giant. I always bring it up and someone has to say, "Isn't that a cartoon?" To which I reply, "well, yeah". And then they do the pft remark and we move on.

I really wish more people would watch it, it has a lot of good messages in it.
The iron giant is amazing!

Multiplicity, I've always felt, is highly underrated. Didn't do particularly well at the box office, and I rarely hear anyone talk about it...but I loved it. Cracked up through the whole thing.
Very funny movie! So good to see Michael Keaton back in the spotlight!

This page is one of the best thread ever created
It's easy to know high rating movie, top list imdb
but sometimes there is movie that considered as hidden gem (get lower rating that it should be or not as popular as it is)

some of the list that imo really worth watching, give it a try

1. Following (1998) (first ever nolan movie with low budget)
2. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) (just wow !!!!)
3. A Woman Under the Influence (1974) (idk why i really love this movie)
4. Detachment (2011) (not so many people watch this !)
5. Enemy (2013) (from the director of sicario!!!)
6. Incendies (2010) (best foreign movie in my list)
7. Layer Cake (2004) (Daniel Craig before james bond)
8. Dazed and Confused (1993) (one of traction's fav)
9. Disconnect (2012)
10. The Conversation (1974) (the mighty coppola made this)
11. Cria Cuervos (1976) (8.1 on imdb)
12. A Bronx Tale (do u know de niro direct a movie ?)
13. Lucky Number Slevin (2006)
14. Seven Psychopaths (2012)
15. Paris, Texas (1984) (no oscar nom for this gold ?)

I really have a soft spot for The Aviator. Big Howard Hughes fan and I had the hardest time picturing DiCaprio in the role but he knocked it out of the park! Love the art deconess of the 20s, and the glamorous Hollywood depicted in the 30s and 40s Also I love airplanes and Martin Scorsese films in general. It's too bad these film never seemed to get off the ground. It's great cinema.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I really have a soft spot for The Aviator. Big Howard Hughes fan and I had the hardest time picturing DiCaprio in the role but he knocked it out of the park! Love the art deconess of the 20s, and the glamorous Hollywood depicted in the 30s and 40s Also I love airplanes and Martin Scorsese films in general. It's too bad these film never seemed to get off the ground. It's great cinema.
Did you see "The Amazing Howard Hughes" with Tommy Lee Jones? It's so much better.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Underrated movies
-Harry and Tonto
-Nashville
-Birdman of Alcatraz
-They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
-McCabe and Mrs. Miller
-Ace In The Hole
-Mikey and Nicky
-Johnny Got His Gun
-The Swimmer
-A Child Is Waiting
-A Woman Under The Influence
-Loneliness of a Long Distance Runner
-The Misfits
-In Cold Blood
-Home of the Brave
-The Straight Story
-The Elephant Man
-The Lost Weekend
-Tape
-Come Back, Little Sheba
-Shoeshine
-Le Jour Se Le Ve

The Machinist, orphan, 1408, identity, trans, the exam, jake's ladder

The Machinist, orphan, 1408, identity, trans, the exam, jake's ladder

I just checked out Southern Comfort, starring Keith Carradine and Powers Booth. I can't believe I never heard of it. It was way better than I expected. Made in 1981, it is set in the swamps of Louisiana in 1973. A group of national guard soldiers decide to steal a few boats from the local Cajuns and when the rightful owners discover them, one of the soldiers fires blanks at them as a joke. The Cajuns don't find this funny and shoot their captain. From there, the troop is now without compass, captain or direction with four killers hunting after them and the majority of them only have blanks in their rifles. This was so well done and maybe Booth's best performance ever. I highly recommend.

There is an existing thread that asked for underrated movies, actors and actresses. It can be found HERE.

As for some of my very favorite movies that are underrated critically as well as in a broader popular sense, here are ten I love unabashedly...

After Hours (1985 - Marty Scorsese)
Quick Change (1990 - Franklin & Murray)
Joe versus the Volcano (1990 - John Patrick Shanley)
Pennies From Heaven (1981 - Herbert Ross)
White Hunter, Black Heart (1990 - Clint Eastwood)
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974 - Sam Peckinpah)
The Life & Times of Judge Roy Bean (1972 - John Huston)
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (1998 - Terry Gilliam)
The Long Goodbye (1973 - Robert Altman)
They All Laughed (1981 - Peter Bogdanovich)
Nice to see some love for Pennies from Heaven...I love that movie.

The bridge of spies, such a good movie

groaned when i heard they going to remake them, but.. the amazing spider-man 2. it's underrated. cast, the chemistry, even what i consider a stupid villain like electro was very well executed. the visual effects, and the score (was not surprisded to hear this was a zimmer movie).