Biggest frustrations watching films

Tools    

I always burn a software backup of DVDs in the event of scratches, etc. And then when you watch them this way there are NO menus or previews. Immediately starts the film.

I hate this as well and on a related note I hate that movies at the theater don't start till half an hour after the start time because of commercials and trailers. I have grown to hate trailers for the most part.
Yes, last time I went to theater I notice that they're now showing the same commercials that are on TV before the movie and interspersed with the previews. It made the theater experience that much less special and gave it a feeling of cheapness because you now have to sit through the same commercials that inundate television. I'm wondering how soon it will be before they start placing pop up ads on top of the movie while it's playing.

Today's film, even the caterer gets a credit
Gotta give an equal amount of attention to everyone, right? You're movie's star actor is just as important as the the third guy from that one company that marketed the movie in the Phillipines, right?

Most pre-60's flicks. Just choose whatever lady you find attractive.
Then I would think anything with Claudia Cardinale.

Setsuko Hara and Li Gong (from what I've seen) are other examples. However, in these cases it's actually a good think.
Gong Li's a favourite of mine.

I've just remembered the Family Guy parody of '50s love scenes, where there's a slow pan from the amorous couple to the fireside and you get the voiceover telling you that there's lots of good stuff happening off-screen.

I hate it when you put on a DVD/Bluray at home and they force you to watch a load of trailers. Some don't even let you skip them.

I don't care what you're trying to advertise, I put the disc in to watch the film!

It's the same when you get a lot of adverts at the cinema too. The only bearable advert at the cinema is the Pearl & Dean one (because no cinema experience is complete without Pearl & Dean) and if there happens to be a trailer for a film you want to see.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
I, just like anyone, can go on for hours about annoying moviegoers in cinemas.

But there was one occurrence a little less than a year ago that was just unbelievable. So I was watching Ex Machina (fantastic film), and right before the movie started, these two women that looked in there late 20s early 30s, walked in and sat down right behind me. So aside from the fact that they were talking out loud through some of the films slower moment, they also asked loudly what was going on, as if one of the strangers in the theater would answer them. They also were complaining that it was boring, but they weren't leaving, why would they, ugh, I don't know. And then, at a really intense scene, there was also some female nudity, and they were complaining through out the scene that this was the most perverted and sexist film that they've ever seen, completely ruining the atmosphere that was set up so well. And I, as well as others managed to politely ask them to quiet down with out punching them in the face. They were asked five times, they said they would four times just to continue talking, but then they finally shut up the fifth time, when there were 3 minutes left in the movie.

Sporadically changing volume levels, things like people choking or giving chest compressions during cpr... you don't bend your elbows, you just don't.

But there was one occurrence a little less than a year ago that was just unbelievable. So I was watching Ex Machina (fantastic film), and right before the movie started, these two women that looked in there late 20s early 30s, walked in and sat down right behind me. So aside from the fact that they were talking out loud through some of the films slower moment, they also asked loudly what was going on, as if one of the strangers in the theater would answer them. They also were complaining that it was boring, but they weren't leaving, why would they, ugh, I don't know. And then, at a really intense scene, there was also some female nudity, and they were complaining through out the scene that this was the most perverted and sexist film that they've ever seen, completely ruining the atmosphere that was set up so well. And I, as well as others managed to politely ask them to quiet down with out punching them in the face. They were asked five times, they said they would four times just to continue talking, but then they finally shut up the fifth time, when there were 3 minutes left in the movie.
That sounds ****in' awful. I'm sorry.

Why didn't you move away from them, or otherwise enjoy their commentary.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Why didn't you move away from them, or otherwise enjoy their commentary.
It was surprisingly a very packed theater, and even if I did move, they could be heard from anywhere in the auditorium.

That's because talking quietly and mumblingyourwordsorhavingthemrunintoeachother is considered the height of acting atm.

As much as I love it, I blame The Wire for the current assault.

As for hard of hearing screenings, there are such things so keep an eye out and maybe you'll find something near you.

I've gotten to the point to leaving subtitles on most of the time. Sometimes it's because of an accent or dialect like the Wire - it's amazing how much you actually hear incorrectly - and sometimes even miss altogether.

Like you, I often leave/put subtitles on what I watch if they're available. For those in the UK old enough to remember, I started doing it in the 80's with teletext. Page 888 was my friend.

Thanks very much for your input guys, its been really useful. The thing is, what can you / we do about it? Are there any options or other alternatives to deal with the issues?

You should have shouted directly into one of the women's earholes and seen how they liked it.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
If someone talks in a theater, give them a dead stare? I saw three movies in SF, and in every theater, even the Castro Theater when an old noir was introduced by Paul Henried's daughter, there was constant talking..... Cell phones ringing...

The overrepresentation of New York City and Los Angeles in American Cinema. Not even just as a setting, but as a metropolitan lifestyle that informs the work of the director or screenwriter.

The overrepresentation of New York City and Los Angeles in American Cinema. Not even just as a setting, but as a metropolitan lifestyle that informs the work of the director or screenwriter.
There ya go. Yeah, we get enough of that.