Lets Talk Football

Tools    

Interested only in English premier league. At the moment there is only one team for me and that is Leicester City. Seriously can't think of any other team.
Are they the club you support or you just want them to win this year?

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Yes, anyone but Juventus. My family supports Torino and it rubs off on me.
I see... Juve will win it

History tells us that Juve won't win the title this year. However, I still think they will but I'd like Napoli to do it.

Good results for United this week, but the bare minimum required. Some United fans seemed to think last night was a great win rather than 80 odd minutes of worrying that they'd get another goal before a couple of late goals finished it. Despite that, considering what was at stake, it certainly was a great relief to win. I still don't think LVG would've gone if we'd lost, though.

I did love seeing the kids out there doing the business, though. Congrats to Rashford. When I saw Martial limp off in the warm up my heart sank, but Rashford did a great job. Still rather have Martial facing Arsenal on Sunday, though. Riley had a cracking game, too.

The next round is going to be epic. Don't expect 20,000 empty seats that night.

Man Utd- Liverpool is massive.

Great result tonight beating the Arse 3-2 with a team full of youngsters.

Real Madrid, Wolfsburg, Benfica, and PSG so far...

City is likely to be the only English team remaining in the competition.

You know it's bad when you lose 2-0 to Liverpool and think you were lucky. Considering the importance of the fixture, you'd have thought that the players would've shown up rather than send their lookalikes.

Unregistered User
You know it's bad when you lose 2-0 to Liverpool and think you were lucky. Considering the importance of the fixture, you'd have thought that the players would've shown up rather than send their lookalikes.
Yeah, it was terrible to watch. This is a shell of a club now. Losing to them is bad enough but the manner of the defeat last night was disgraceful. LVG seriously has to go.

Actually I might've been too hard on the players there. Probably not and, given the performances this season they deserve it, but I don't know if I should be quite so harsh when you look at what and where they were asked to play. What was the point of any of them? What were they there to do? All the pairings were poor and about half of them out of position. If you're not going to try and outwork/hustle Liverpool by pressing them, then you hit the ball long, yes? So Fellaini up top or, if they play a high line, play over the top for pacey strikers to run on to? Nope, he plays midfield and Rashford on the right. Even if injuries mean we don't have a right sided midfielder, change the formation to adapt. Y'know, like it's your job or something. Rashford on the right would look a bad idea on FM, let alone in real life.

I know I've said it before, many times, but this is exactly what I feared after Fergie. Not because he was so great (though he was) but because he was the only one holding everything together. Since the Glazers moved in the money has moved out and at the expense of the team. Football has changed at the top but United are still in the 90's, with the board thinking the reason they can't see the competition is because they're so far behind them. If the board turn around they'll see them way out in front. Not just Barca, Real and Bayern, either. Juve, Altletico, PSG, Dortmond and Napoli are all easily way ahead. That's not including the English teams which are ahead of us, nor Benfica, Porto, Sporting, and another half dozen teams across Europe which would all fancy their chances and with good reason atm.

By the end, Fergie was like Oz, hiding behind the curtain fooling everyone in a weak league because they're so rarely challenged. 2009/10 was the last season I thought we could win the league and it really is the last time we should've and we didn't even win it that year! That he won another two after that is little short of a miracle. Or it would be, if the only other challengers hadn't thrown it away.

Now we have a league which is (hopefully) going to be between Leicester and Spurs and, while it will come across as disrespectful, that's how weak this current season is and United are struggling for European qualifications, let alone CL. In a Fergie season I honestly think we'd be top and I say that as a comment on the league, not on Fergie's ability. I've not seen the stats, but I wouldn't mind betting this is one of, if not, the lowest amount of points the leaders have had after this many games.

I'll end with another thing which has become apparent to me over this season. United need to decide what kind of team they want to be. If you want to be at the top table, then you modernise and forget the romance. Big managers for a season or two, big stars for big money. There is no reason for failure and everyone is vulnerable. Or we're the team which gives managers time, give youth a chance and allows people to make mistakes and gives them time to rectify them. Of course there other ways of being, but these seem to be the two which are at odds currently.

I think it's obvious which one the board/Woodward wants, but if that's the case, then he's the first that needs to be sacked because he's failed miserably.

Unregistered User
Nice rant HK, unfortunately I have no time/too depressed to put down my thoughts but I totally agree with what you say. Fergie produced miracles at the end of his days of management. Lots couldn't see it but it was very obvious that he was doing wonders.

UCL Quarter-final draw result..
Benfica vs Bayern, Barca vs Atleti, PSG vs City, Real vs Wolfsburg

Easy draw for Bayern & Madrid, PSG vs Man City and Barca vs Atleti look exciting.

__

From Reddit via Twitter
Which is best for PSG vs Man City?
- El Cashico
- Oil Classico
- The Abu Derby
- El Plastico
- Oil & Gasico!

UCL Quarter-final draw result..
Benfica vs Bayern, Barca vs Atleti, PSG vs City, Real vs Wolfsburg

Easy draw for Bayern & Madrid, PSG vs Man City and Barca vs Atleti look exciting.

__

From Reddit via Twitter
Which is best for PSG vs Man City?
- El Cashico
- Oil Classico
- The Abu Derby
- El Plastico
- Oil & Gasico!
They're all lame.

I really was not expecting to win that, let alone for it to be pretty easy. City must be a hell of a lot worse than I thought and I didn't think they were good. That said, I knew we'd get a couple of good chances when I saw Demichelis was playing. Honestly, that he still plays for a team like City is more baffling to me than when Arsenal had a second rate keeper for 10 years.

Today the news that we lost a legend and an all-time great.

Johan Cruyff, Dutch footballing legend, dies aged 68

Holland legend Johan Cruyff has died at the age of 68 following a battle with cancer.

A statement on the World of Johan Cruyff website read: "On March 24 2016 Johan Cruyff (68) died peacefully in Barcelona, surrounded by his family after a hard fought battle with cancer. It’s with great sadness that we ask you to respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief."

R.I.P. Johan. Thank you for everything.

Very sad news – I was only thinking about him the other day when Frank Sinatra Jr died, due to the kidnap attempts in both cases (Sinatra's succeeded).

I've always liked Holland and their players and I support them if England get knocked out of tournaments.

I really was not expecting to win that, let alone for it to be pretty easy. City must be a hell of a lot worse than I thought and I didn't think they were good. That said, I knew we'd get a couple of good chances when I saw Demichelis was playing. Honestly, that he still plays for a team like City is more baffling to me than when Arsenal had a second rate keeper for 10 years.
He wouldn't be playing if they had any other healthy CB. He's gone at the end of the season.