What is your best mind boggling movie?

Tools    

I have to return some videotapes...
So many...

Donnie Darko (2001)
Primer (2004)
Enemy (2014) - Brutally under seen, I strongly encourage anyone who hasn't seen this to please watch this.
American Psycho (2000)
Videodrome (1985)
The Shining (1980) - Probably my favorite one to think about because I do it everyday. That ending is a work of genius.
Mulholland Dr. (2001) - 2nd to Shining

To respond to the ones above, I wouldn't call Butterfly Effect, Identity, Memento, or Shutter Island are really mind boggling because they all have a clear ending and I could tell you what each of them definitively means. Also Shutter Island's mind boggling element ruins the movie because it's just so silly when you think about it rest of the film is genius tho. I think what makes a good mind boggle is a movie that keeps you thinking about a strange ending.

Trainspotting.
It puts you right in the middle of heroine addiction.
Most of you youngsters won't understand it,French is easier.

Welcome to the human race...
Trainspotting.
It puts you right in the middle of heroine addiction.
Most of you youngsters won't understand it,French is easier.
What a mind-boggling post.

my favorite of them all Glad you like it
I need to watch it again. There are a few things that bother me about it and there are legitimate complaints people have leveled, but my memories are largely positive.

Actually, I think a big thing that bothered me about it was the downer ending, but the ending I saw was like... one of three they shot. Kinda like how Army of Darkness has polar-opposite endings depending on where you see it.

I originally saw the "I slept too long!" ending and liked it, but the supermarket ending is also pretty special in it's own way.

Originally Posted by colejwalker
I wouldn't call Butterfly Effect, Identity, Memento, or Shutter Island are really mind boggling because they all have a clear ending
Depending on the ending. >.>

But also, Memento is pretty mind-boggling just to keep track of. You have to organize the scenes in your head if you want to keep track of events chronologically.

Incidentally...

Originally Posted by colejwalker
Primer (2004)
I thought this movie sucked. It's 50% technobabble and 25% WTF IT'S OVER?

So many...

Donnie Darko (2001)
Primer (2004)
Enemy (2014) - Brutally under seen, I strongly encourage anyone who hasn't seen this to please watch this.
American Psycho (2000)
Videodrome (1985)
The Shining (1980) - Probably my favorite one to think about because I do it everyday. That ending is a work of genius.
Mulholland Dr. (2001) - 2nd to Shining

To respond to the ones above, I wouldn't call Butterfly Effect, Identity, Memento, or Shutter Island are really mind boggling because they all have a clear ending and I could tell you what each of them definitively means. Also Shutter Island's mind boggling element ruins the movie because it's just so silly when you think about it rest of the film is genius tho. I think what makes a good mind boggle is a movie that keeps you thinking about a strange ending.
Maybe Possession (1981).

Memento, sixth sense,

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I definitely agree with Possession (1981) that was beyond weird, in a good and effective way!

Mulholland Drive (2001)

Love Exposure (2008) Brutally underrated, please go and see it! It's so long but so compelling.

Most of Argento's films, particularly Inferno (1980) and Phenomena/Creepers (1985)

Enemy (2013)
Bug (2006)
Synecdoche, New York (2008)
Naked Lunch (1991)
Holy Mountain (1973)
Eraserhead (1977)
Mr. Nobody (2009)
Alice (1988)
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970)
An Andalusian Dog (1929)

I also second Possession (1981) as well as other Zulawski pictures such as The Devil (1972) and That Most Important Thing: Love (1975). He drives actors and actresses to their limits. It's incredible what he gets out of them.

Oh, and this:

The Last Temptation of Christ (1988) - I mention this because in the last act, the film uses the same reality bending scenario as in Donnie Darko - but that's not all - in Donnie Darko there is a scene that shows a movie marquee advertising The Last Temptation of Christ! Somebody was having a little wink with perceptive members of the audience.

Jacob's Ladder (1990)
About Time (2013)

The Last Temptation of Christ (1988) - I mention this because in the last act, the film uses the same reality bending scenario as in Donnie Darko - but that's not all - in Donnie Darko there is a scene that shows a movie marquee advertising The Last Temptation of Christ! Somebody was having a little wink with perceptive members of the audience.
Sneaky.

Chris Nolan's Following was too good and probably had one of the finest and mind blowing climax.