Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Tools    

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
No, it's funny because they said "I'm all for Feminazis too". It's the usual "I'm not a racist but" logic but the fact that they used an actual insult to describe the group they're supposedly supporting just makes it extra absurd. That's where the real comedy is, not some tiresome joke about cornflakes.
that'd be like me with my mayonnaise complexion saying "i'm all for n-words too, but

i realize i'm practically the only girl contributing to this thread recently (i think?), so i'm going to come from a different place from you all and try to explain why i think casting Ghostbusters 3 with an all female cast is a good idea:

the female perspective-
many late 20/early 30 something year-old women such as myself grew up on cult classic movies with an overwhelmingly large amount of men in them and loved them; stuff like Ghostbusters, The Goonies, ET, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, etc. like i said, we loved them, i loved all of those movies, i would watch them over and over as a kid. but it always kind of sucked that there was usually only one character in the whole movie that represented someone i could relate to. when i was watching Star Wars, there was one really awesome female character in the mix, and she was supposed to represent my whole gender. same goes for Alien. and The Goonies. and the Power Rangers, in the 90s. etc. etc. when i would play Power Rangers with my friends growing up, i got to be the pink ranger, or i got to be no one.

when i heard they were making Ghostbusters 3, i was super excited. yes! finally, a range of female characters with all different kinds of personalities, comedy styles, looks, and one-liners! it's almost as if women are, gasp, versatile!

so, you bet your ass i'm going to see this on opening weekend. i'm not even saying it'll be guaranteed to be amazing. and i'm not even saying i think the trailer looks like a masterpiece. i'm just glad that movies like this are being created. i want representation, damnit. i want to be able to go to a fun, adventurous movie and actually have a choice on who i get to relate to. it'll be a good day.

so, yeah, it kinda makes me disappointed and upset when i see people saying s**t like "oh those damn feminazis have to ruin everything" because we demand more representation. you guys sound like whiny little babies. sorry not sorry. :/

That you consider only female characters in movies relatable is somewhat concerning.

Surely the ability to make characters relatable isn't limited to their gender or race or ethnicity or religion or whateverthehell. There are movies with asexual robot characters that can be relatable.

Men should be capable to empathizing with female characters just as women should be capable of empathizing with male characters. Their gender should be incidental. The only reason it seems otherwise is because female characters are often brushed to the side only to collect the tablescraps of effort necessary to flesh them out with personalities.

I don't believe it's so much that you have so few characters to relate to so much as there are so few female characters developed to the point of relatability.

Master of My Domain
Idk, but regardless of the gender controversy, it looks like a bad movie.

That you consider only female characters in movies relatable is somewhat concerning.

Surely the ability to make characters relatable isn't limited to their gender or race or ethnicity or religion or whateverthehell. There are movies with asexual robot characters that can be relatable.

Men should be capable to empathizing with female characters just as women should be capable of empathizing with male characters. Their gender should be incidental. The only reason it seems otherwise is because female characters are often brushed to the side only to collect the tablescraps of effort necessary to flesh them out with personalities.

I don't believe it's so much that you have so few characters to relate to so much as there are so few female characters developed to the point of relatability.
you're right.

i didn't say i didn't relate at all to the other characters, though. but i'm not sure you quite understand what it's like to very rarely see people of your own gender, except for maybe one, which is supposed to represent all of them, doing the thing. you are a guy, right?

this isn't a new theory or anything, either. men feel this way, too. ha, here's an example: after my fiance and i moved in together, i kinda sorta got him into Buffy (i love Buffy, he'd never seen it). we watched the first three seasons together and he really dug it. he likes fantasy and magic and stuff. but he made it a point to say to me, "i really love the characters in this show, they're riveting and well written, but i feel like there's none i can really relate to, because basically all the men in this show are either one-dimensional villains, whiney vampires, or mean teachers/principles; the only consistent "good guy" character is Xander, who has no sense for magic, no badassery, and is kind of, well, lame. i wish there was a more diverse male cast."

and i stared at him for a minute and was like, "i think, uh, that's kind of the point of the show. Buffy is definitely female centric to a fault, but it's a nice change of pace, right? how many other shows can you think of in this vein like this?"

and he was like

so, i dunno, i think it's a lot easier to say seeing your gender represented doesn't matter, buuut it kinda sucks. sure, i can find traits in male characters representative of myself, but it's not on the same scale as seeing another girl doing that stuff! plus, it kinda pushes the message that women aren't as capable of that badass shet as men, right?

you're right.

i didn't say i didn't relate at all to the other characters, though. but i'm not sure you quite understand what it's like to very rarely see people of your own gender, except for maybe one, which is supposed to represent all of them, doing the thing. you are a guy, right?
I won't say.

this isn't a new theory or anything, either. men feel this way, too. ha, here's an example: after my fiance and i moved in together, i kinda sorta got him into Buffy (i love Buffy, he'd never seen it). we watched the first three seasons together and he really dug it. he likes fantasy and magic and stuff. but he made it a point to say to me, "i really love the characters in this show, they're riveting and well written, but i feel like there's none i can really relate to, because basically all the men in this show are either one-dimensional villains, whiney vampires, or mean teachers/principles; the only consistent "good guy" character is Xander, who has no sense for magic, no badassery, and is kind of, well, lame. i wish there was a more diverse male cast."

and i stared at him for a minute and was like, "i think, uh, that's kind of the point of the show. Buffy is definitely female centric to a fault, but it's a nice change of pace, right? how many other shows can you think of in this vein like this?"

and he was like

so, i dunno, i think it's a lot easier to say seeing your gender represented doesn't matter, buuut it kinda sucks. sure, i can find traits in male characters representative of myself, but it's not on the same scale as seeing another girl doing that stuff! plus, it kinda pushes the message that women aren't as capable of that badass shet as men, right?
I agree, but as I said, the same argument could be reduced to apply to matters of race or ethnicity or even hair color if we wanted to get especially petty.

Diversity is most certainly important, but it should be understandable that not every work will represent every group. That shouldn't be held against the movie/tv series/whateveritis either. I think the criticism your fiance had against Buffy is unfair given the circumstances.

As far as Ghostbusters is concerned though, I'm all in favor of a female cast as well, however I fear the likely impact it will have if it releases to claims of "inferiority". I'm sure most people will emphasize that it is/was/will be the specific actors in question that make/made or break/broke the movie, but that cruelly simplified however evitable analogy of "the Girl Ghostbusters sucked" could lead to some Unfortunate Implications.

If the cast were 2/4ths or 3/4ths female, the blood might have been staunched somewhat. Assuming the worst of course.

If ask me the Black Women and The Crazy Inventor were cast the best but my feeling is Wiig seemed too be phoning in her part and really The Girl From Mike and Molly is not the only actress can do a comedy. Id rather had Amy Schumer .

I'm just happy that there will finally be another movie about people who wear proton packs all day. I have felt wildly under represented in film the last twenty years.

I'm just happy that there will finally be another movie about people who wear proton packs all day. I have felt wildly under represented in film the last twenty years.
and i expect a 4 page essay about this very topic from you by the end of the day. thanks.

Wow, the new trailer has a gender joke, a race joke and a slapstick joke all rolled into one... and a man making a joke about boobs that the women don't like.

Not Ghostbusters.

Wow, the new trailer has a gender joke, a race joke and a slapstick joke all rolled into one... and a man making a joke about boobs that the women don't like.

Not Ghostbusters.
Wow, somebody on the internet is convinced modern day comedy is the same as 80s comedy without taking into account changes in society since then.

Not an intelligent argument.

Wow, somebody on the internet is convinced modern day comedy is the same as 80s comedy without taking into account changes in society since then.
Ehm... societal change doesn't make comedies from the 80s less funny or modern comedies more funny.

Fact is there's a different writer writing the jokes this time and regardless of when either movie was created, the different sense of humor will turn off people.

Whether Rodent is overreacting or not is a different conversation.

Ehm... societal change doesn't make comedies from the 80s less funny or modern comedies more funny.

Fact is there's a different writer writing the jokes this time and regardless of when either movie was created, the different sense of humor will turn off people.

Whether Rodent is overreacting or not is a different conversation.
If it switches people off, then that's their own fault for expecting comedy to be the same as it was in the 80s. Society has changed therefore so has comedy.

It's not just the comedy, or the casting, or any of that... it's the fact that it's a remake of Ghostbusters... the fact they're doing it in such a gimmicky way is just rubbing salt into the wound.

If it switches people off, then that's their own fault for expecting comedy to be the same as it was in the 80s. Society has changed therefore so has comedy.

It's... not the 80s that's changed. It's the writer.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail came out in the 70s and people seeing it for the first time still think it's hilarious. If something with that same form of comedy came out today it would be received the same.

Similarly, failed comedies of today like Jack and Jill would be equally disdained.

Societal impressions of "what's funny" only apply when the humor itself is in some way tied to something societally relevant.

Scream's humor does absolutely nothing for someone who hasn't seen horror movies just as Easy A's humor would likely be frowned on by people who believe it's only proper for young women to wear dresses.

We're talkin' Ghostbusters here though. Where's your argument?

Did this Ghostbusters have a... writer?

From what I saw in those trailers there wasn't much writing behind it.