Donald Trump for President?

Tools    

It's strange missing Romney as a nominee watching that. At least Mitt Romney was a smart, greedy plutocrat.

Question for GOP Anti-Trumpers:

There seem to be 2 diverging narratives on paths to beat Trump:

a) Winnow the field, get Trump into a 1 on 1 match-up (but Trump would gain some, but likely not most, of the voters from the dropped candidates)

or b) Keep the field divided so that the vote count is low for Trump, and combine the delegates at the convention behind a single non-Trump candidate (Possibly best shot at stopping Trump from grabbing an outright majority of delegates, but solidify his front-runner status, risk alienating Trump supporters)

Which would tactic would you prefer? (Obviously the outcome you'd likely prefer is that a candidate starts pulling ahead on their own, but I mean if you are the GOP what would you do, assuming you are Anti-Trump?)

I would like to hear Yoda's analysis of Trump's positions. Not to debate, just to hear his take.
Well, the meta-level analysis is that there's no consistent position to analyze: he says whatever pops into his head and it's not tied to any coherent philosophy of what government should or shouldn't do.

I'll pick one to illustrate: healthcare. He said he was against Obamacare, but FOR the individual mandate. Already totally incoherent. Then it (somehow) gets worse: he changes his mind and says he's against the mandate, but for forcing insurers to cover preexisting conditions. Which is far worse than Obamacare even if you hate it, because only the former makes the latter feasible.

But you're right, he's not a liberal. He's not a conservative either. The most useful thing about Donald Trump is that he's reminded us that our right-left spectrum is just a loose taxonomy that does a pretty poor job of summarizing the mix of opinions most people have.

I'm still interested to know how they were known protesters when they were sitting silent. I went and read a couple articles after you posted. Feels like something is missing in the reporting. When that is the case my BS meter starts going off. Again this is coming from someone whose political position is improved the more inept Trump looks.

I would like to hear that too, or anyone's take on Trump's positions. I'm not sure even what they are? And according to the online poll that Guap posted some of Trump's policies are inline with my own views. Though I don't support him.

That is interesting! neo Nazi's are liberal on some issues? Which ones? I would have thought they were staunch right wingers?
You would be surprise. The leader of W.A.R. (White Aryan Resistance) Tom Metzger ran on the Democrat ticket in California for Congress in 1980. He won the nomination, but lost to a Republican. He is blatantly racist, a former member of the KKK, but also has views held by the environmental movement. Among a few other things I am sure.

There seem to be 2 diverging narratives on paths to beat Trump:

a) Winnow the field, get Trump into a 1 on 1 match-up (but Trump would gain some, but likely not most, of the voters from the dropped candidates)

or b) Keep the field divided so that the vote count is low for Trump, and combine the delegates at the convention behind a single non-Trump candidate (Possibly best shot at stopping Trump from grabbing an outright majority of delegates, but solidify his front-runner status, risk alienating Trump supporters)

Which would tactic would you prefer? (Obviously the outcome you'd likely prefer is that a candidate starts pulling ahead on their own, but I mean if you are the GOP what would you do, assuming you are Anti-Trump?)
Yeah, I've been asking myself this exact question.

I think you have to try a) a little longer. Through the 15th. I realize that increases the risk of b) not working, but unless Trump kills it on the 15th that should still be very plausible. And if you keep hitting him the way you have the last week, I think the odds of him racking up huge numbers of delegates on that day are fairly small.

Part of the calculation here is just how damaging you think his nomination would be. I'm convinced that enough of the party would break from him that he couldn't take the whole thing down with him. It'd be bad, but not so bad that the next nominee would be overly burdened with it, I don't think. So I'm okay with two more weeks of delegate brinkmanship, because I think the worst-case scenario of failing to stop him could be (mostly) relegated to this election cycle.

Or...if you're of a conspiratorial bent, give thought to the idea that Trump is a democratic plot. He's managed to make all of the other candidates in his party look like "losers" and he's in the process of labelling the party as the party of pissed-off, dumb white people, alienating just about any other demographic sector. His followers are people who can't see that Trump doesn't really give a sh*t about THEM but is ONLY about Trump. His message can change any time he sees an advantage to being something else. He's an illustration of the psycho-diagnostic category of "malignant narcissist".

a) Winnow the field, get Trump into a 1 on 1 match-up (but Trump would gain some, but likely not most, of the voters from the dropped candidates
This gets my vote. I still think he wins at this point, but at lesst we would know. The B tactic just seems too underhanded to me. I don't like what has happened this year but it is the system. I think the people are wrong but I am not for exploiting loopholes because of it.

Everything I'm reading is those against Trump want to get it down to one-on-one.

The scary thing is if the economy was in the toilet, he could win in November. But it isn't. It is a certain segment of the population attracted to Trump, those who were left behind in the global economy. Despite what Trump says, protectionism won't bring those manufacturing jobs back from overseas. He can't build a wall and make Mexico pay for it and he knows it. He's not stupid. But a lot of his supporters seem to be.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
I'm still interested to know how they were known protesters when they were sitting silent. I went and read a couple articles after you posted. Feels like something is missing in the reporting. When that is the case my BS meter starts going off. Again this is coming from someone whose political position is improved the more inept Trump looks.
my first thought when i read it was that they probably stuck out like sore thumbs because 1) they were a bunch of black people, and i'm pretty sure the majority of people at those rallys in support of Trump are white, for obvious reasons, and 2) they were sitting quietly. meaning, they weren't cheering, clapping, showing any kind of support, which is what everyone else usually does. those 2 things alone probably made them stick out like sore thumbs.

i'm not really sure what you mean by BS. if something more happened, i can't imagine it wouldn't have been posted to social media just like everything else.

and i mean, this is something that is happening a lot. it's a pattern. it keeps happening at these events. i'm guessing Trump's peeps are trained to look for people exactly like this at this point.

Even though I find him the most palatable of the GOP candidates, it seems like the ideal drop out at this point would be Kasich. It seems unlikely many of his supporters would go with Trump.

But there's no way he drops out before Ohio, and since that happens on the 15th (the same day as the Florida primary) his presence could cost Rubio the state, and Cruz has been preparing to jump all over Rubio if that happens.

At This State Trump Might As Well Announce Morgan Freeman as his running mate . I just dont see Trump beating Hilary and Hilary being president would send my father's coffin spinning out of the ground in protest.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I got:
Bernie 98%
Hillary 96%
Jill Stein 92% (I never knew there was a Green Party in the USA!)
Bloomberg 77%
John Kasich 51%
Gary Johnson 36%
Trump 21%
Cruz 10%
Carson 5%

You can leave out Carson. He dropped out.

If Rubio doesn't win Florida, it's going to be a Trump/Cruz race. That will be interesting.

That is interesting! neo Nazi's are liberal on some issues? Which ones? I would have thought they were staunch right wingers?
I didn't know if I should have made a thread for this news story I discovered yesterday but since you mentioned "left-winged anti-semitics" I figured to post it here.

Nazism is essentially the logical outcome of early 20th centurys most popular ideologies: Marxism, Racism and Nationalism. American "liberals" are heavily influenced by Marxism and nationalism. For instance, the Nazis heavily taxed gasoline while supporting social welfare programs and heavy government intervention in the economy. There isn't much difference between extreme right and extreme left in fact, it's like turning 360 degrees.

Trump's proposals are ludicrous though and they would involve in the violation of national sovereignty of Mexico and China as well as massive expansion of government expenditures while at the same time he is promising to cut taxes. Overall, I think that Trump is essentially trolling the Republicans and their most ignorant supporters. By the time he faces off with the Democrats his discourse will perhaps shift considerably to appeal to a more mainstream crowd. Why he is doing that? I don't know maybe he wants to get to the presidency and use that power to increase his personal fortune in some way or maybe he just wants to be president for the fun of it and is using crowd manipulation tactics to get elected.

I vote he wants to be president for the fun of it. Looks like he isn't doing too good today. Cruz is beating him.

Not a good night for Trump. Won two, lost two, but even the two he won it was tighter than predicted. Latest poll shows Kasich in a dead heat with him in Ohio. Rubio needs to win Florida and maybe he can, though the last poll shows him behind. Cruz in that poll was a distant third.. If Rubio and Kasich take their home states, it's a whole new ball game, but not one Cruz will like because it remains a three man race and he wants the other two out. Looks more and more like a brokered convention. That's this week. Next week could be different.

Nazism is essentially the logical outcome of early 20th centurys most popular ideologies: Marxism, Racism and Nationalism. American "liberals" are heavily influenced by Marxism and nationalism. For instance, the Nazis heavily taxed gasoline while supporting social welfare programs and heavy government intervention in the economy. There isn't much difference between extreme right and extreme left in fact, it's like turning 360 degrees.

Trump's proposals are ludicrous though and they would involve in the violation of national sovereignty of Mexico and China as well as massive expansion of government expenditures while at the same time he is promising to cut taxes. Overall, I think that Trump is essentially trolling the Republicans and their most ignorant supporters. By the time he faces off with the Democrats his discourse will perhaps shift considerably to appeal to a more mainstream crowd. Why he is doing that? I don't know maybe he wants to get to the presidency and use that power to increase his personal fortune in some way or maybe he just wants to be president for the fun of it and is using crowd manipulation tactics to get elected.
I wonder on the onlyh plus side mif the culture of political correctness could survive 4 years of Trump. He just has to be just like any opther scumbag president.

How can you POSSIBLY
hate a man who isn't afraid
to get all up in

Rudy Giuliani's bosom

when he's a drag queen?