Favorite Screenplays/Screenwriters?

Tools    

Been writing a lot lately. A bit obsessed.

I need to start reading good screenplays again though, because I know how much that can help. I remember back in maybe 2012, I was writing a lot and read half of Tarantino's produced screenplays. Because of that, for better or worse my own writing is influenced by him. Not that I mimic him entirely. Mostly what I take from Tarantino is his writing process. The guy just lets loose with his notebook and pen. It's almost like he thinks up two characters, places them in a room and sees what happens. And it just evolves from there. I love that. I used to plan my ideas and visions out completely, problem was I would start to get precious about my vision then and would end up writing very little of it. Personally prefer to just sit and let go, and tell a story, not worrying about whether it's good or bad, whether it has filler or too much exposition or anything.

Anyway... I could go on. Aside from writing I've been pondering the very process and art of writing screenplays. I could write a freaking screenplay about writing screenplays. Oh wait, Kaufman already did that. Damn you Kaufman!

First one that comes to mind is Synecdoche, New York. Might very well be my fave.

I also love Paul Thomas Anderson as a screenwriter. I think he's great at writing interesting characters that feel really human, and he's a big inspiration for me in that regard.

I also love Ingmar Bergman for a few reasons. One of the main ones is his way of weaving philosophy into his cinema. If storytelling is about expressing your inner humanity and thoughts, Bergman is one of the best.

So I guess my favorite screenwriters right now are Charlie Kaufman, Paul Thomas Anderson, Ingmar Bergman, and Quentin Tarantino. Not only because what they write resonates with me, not only because I think what their writing is very good, but also because, and maybe more important, they just inspire me so greatly.

So what are your guys' favorite screenplays? Favorite screenwriters? I would love to discover some new favorites thanks to this thread.

I have to return some videotapes...
I would agree with Tarantino, although Hateful 8 was a disaster of a script. I also enjoy the works of Kaufman, Sorkin, Landis, Innaritu, Korine, Allen, Crowe, Linklater, Hughes, and Coppola.

Oh, Sorkin's a great one. The Social Network is one of my favorite films in many ways, including on a script level.

I have to return some videotapes...
I like to write a lot too and if you want I can send you some of my work, but a script that really helped me kind of get my groundwork is Raging Bull (1980). For some reason I watched it and immediately started reading the script afterward and it really helped me in understanding how to delve into the psyche of a character.

I like to write a lot too and if you want I can send you some of my work, but a script that really helped me kind of get my groundwork is Raging Bull (1980). For some reason I watched it and immediately started reading the script afterward and it really helped me in understanding how to delve into the psyche of a character.
That'd be cool.

I've been meaning to rewatch Raging Bull, but now that you mentioned this I might read the script and then give it a rewatch.

That's a good one, Derek. That man definitely knows how to write comedy.

Master of My Domain
My favorite screenwriter is obviously M. Night Shymalamadingdong

Just kidding, off the top of of my head: Coen bros, Terry Gilliam, Park Chan Wook, Orson Welles. If I were to choose a favorite screenplay, it's a tie between 8 1/2, The Network, and Pulp Fiction.

Great stuff Gatsby. Pulp Fiction, I own the script and have read it, fantastic. 8 1/2 would be worth a read, and actually, I know Network is PTA's favorite script and favorite film.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Sofia Coppola daughter of Francis Coppola is one of the better screenwriter. You can through her work to know more about it.

Quentin Tarantino.
Quentin stands out for me.

I believe that the script for Withnail & I has been used as an educational reference for screenwriting because it ticks all the boxes of how it's supposed to be done well. I like the bit about the shot putter "Jeff Wode" who's soon to be back "tossing his orb about".

I have to return some videotapes.
Off the top of my head

Pulp Fiction
The Social Network
American Beauty
Reservoir Dogs
Moneyball
Tropic Thunder
Memento
L.A. Confidential
The Town
Good Will Hunting
Zodiac
Dazed and Confused
Chinatown
Apocalypse Now
Goodfellas

If you're learning how to write/write again stay away from Tarantino. He breaks a lot of rules when it comes to screenwriting but can get away with it because, well he's Quentin Tarantino. But lots of new writers look up to him and try to imitate his style, often to disastrous results. I hate to break it to most, but you are not Tarantino.

As for good screenplays to read, I strongly suggest you also get into the habit of reading scripts for movies you are VERY familiar with. Your favorites or movies you've seen hundreds of times. Knowing what the finished film looks like will help you visualize the script better and allow you to understand how they are written.

Aaron Sorkin, specifically Steve Jobs and The Social Network. I know his style isn't for everyone but I really appreciate how paced out and dialogue heavy his scripts are, without being too overbearing.

You guys have mentioned a lot of my favorites but I want to give Kenneth Lonergan a shout out. Can't wait to see his new film this year.

Top 10 Screenplays
  1. Heathers (1988)
  2. Mean Girls (2004)
  3. Young Adult (2011)
  4. Barton Fink (1991)
  5. Adaptation (2002)
  6. The Big Lebowski (1998)
  7. Bridget Jones's Diary (2001)
  8. American Psycho (2000)
  9. Barfly (1987)
  10. Tropic Thunder (2008)