Miracle In Milan

→ in
Tools    

Miracle in Milan (1951) Vittorio De Sica

De Sica does it again. This is the third De Sica film that I've watched thus far (the other two being "The Bicycle Thief" and "The Children Are Watching"), and so far he has never, for a moment, let me down. Once I go through his entire canon of work, I might just find him to be the most consistent director ever.

"Miracle in Milan" follows the life of a baby, who was found in a cabbage patch by an old widow. She dies when he is a child, and he ends up growing into a sort of savior for the homeless. When the capitalistic businessmen come in to force the homeless off of their little plot of land, he becomes a bit of a Napoleon (or Moses), and fights them off.

The ghost of his dead mother comes down, and gives him a magical dove. The dove will give holder of it all that he/she wishes for. Many hilarious antics ensue, when he uses that power against the capitalists, and the policemen.

For a film in the fifties, it really pushed the envelope with the special effects. Throughout, we notice jump cuts, double exposures, and even some sequences that seem like they were blue screened. De Sica seemed to borrow from great filmmakers like Stroheim, Chaplin and even Buster Keaton. A really heartwarming film, that had me wearing a perpetual grin for it's entire duration.

"Miracle in Milan" walked away with the Grand Prize of the Cannes Film festival, and the Best Foreign Language Film from the New York Film Critics Circle.

I urge all film lovers to seek out all of Vittorio De Sica's masterpieces.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by Travis_Bickle
This is the third De Sica film that I've watched thus far (the other two being "The Bicycle Thief" and "The Children Are Watching"), and so far he has never, for a moment, let me down. Once I go through his entire canon of work, I might just find him to be the most consistent director ever.
Well Travis, prepare to be disappointed.

Though I haven't seen either Miracle in Milan or The Children Are Watching I've have seen a few other De Sica films.

The Bicycle Thief My favorite foreign movie.

Shoe Shine A must see.

Umberto D I love this movie, absolutely heartbreaking.

Two Women This may have been Sophia Loren's greatest performance.

Garden of the Finzi-Continis I really didn't like this movie.

After The Fox I didn't realize till recently De Sica directed this piece of crap!

I'll be sure to check out the two movies you suggested.

Thanks Trav, I will keep my eye out for this one.

I am really looking forward to seeing "Shoe Shine". I did in fact see "Umberto D", and it was a very sweet film.

Here is an interesting quote I came across from Orson Welles in interview with Andre Bazin (The editor of "Cashiers du Cinema") from 1958. Bazin, and the french critics at the time,seemed not to be impressed by De Sica.

Bazin: "Would you tell us the film directors you admire most?"

Welles: "You won't like what I am going to say, because the people who I admire are the least highly-valued by cinema intellectuals; it seems like a tragic misunderstanding to me. My favourite filmmaker is De Sica: I know I'm upsetting you. And John Ford. But the John Ford of twenty years ago, the De Sica of twelve years ago. Ah 'Sciusa'; it's the best film I ever saw".

And later on in the interview...

Welles: "In reality there are not many filmmakers who have made much of an impression on me, or rather a few isolated ones, who aren't very highly esteemed by intellectuals. De Sica for example. You ought to be ashamed of not liking De Sica."

Anyways, just thought I'd share.