The Resident Bitch's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

I guess this is another one of those agree-to-disagree deals. I find it pretty watchable for the most part, but it struggles to keep my interest as it heads towards the end.
Do you guys really need to disagree on engagement?

It's not exactly something you can really argue over.

"This movie bored me to sleep."

"I disagree, it did not bore you."

"ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Wow this seems like the place to be, this is where it's all happening. I'm definitely not jealous about that at all.

No I'm very glad to see you've gotten so into it and that you're getting a good response. As for your recent films, Mean Girls I've only seen once or twice and not for a good 10 years probably but I remember really enjoying it. I'll need to give it another watch at some point soon perhaps.

As I've said to you before I used to love Gladiator but hadn't seen it in so long that I wasn't sure anymore. I finally rewatched it last year at some point, and while I still liked it it's not one I love anymore, certainly not based on that viewing anyway. The stuff about Rome, the backstage drama and the politics, I found to be a bit of a drag. For me the film didn't really get going until Maximus found himself in chains. The scenes in the fighting pits and at the Coliseum are still great theatre however, as are the face-offs between Maximus and Commodus.

Oh and I agreed pretty much entirely with what you said about The Third Man. I loved the look of it in terms of its angles, lighting, use of shadows etc but didn't engage as much with the story and characters. Also like you though it's one I want to revisit at some point

Wow this seems like the place to be, this is where it's all happening. I'm definitely not jealous about that at all.

No I'm very glad to see you've gotten so into it and that you're getting a good response. As for your recent films, Mean Girls I've only seen once or twice and not for a good 10 years probably but I remember really enjoying it. I'll need to give it another watch at some point soon perhaps.

As I've said to you before I used to love Gladiator but hadn't seen it in so long that I wasn't sure anymore. I finally rewatched it last year at some point, and while I still liked it it's not one I love anymore, certainly not based on that viewing anyway. The stuff about Rome, the backstage drama and the politics, I found to be a bit of a drag. For me the film didn't really get going until Maximus found himself in chains. The scenes in the fighting pits and at the Coliseum are still great theatre however, as are the face-offs between Maximus and Commodus.

Oh and I agreed pretty much entirely with what you said about The Third Man. I loved the look of it in terms of its angles, lighting, use of shadows etc but didn't engage as much with the story and characters. Also like you though it's one I want to revisit at some point
You mean the best stuff? Loser.

It's All About Love (Thomas Vinterberg, 2003)
Imdb

Date Watched: 02/27/16
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: It's the only Phoenix movie I hadn't seen (disregarding the films he did as a child)
Rewatch: No, although I've attempted it once or twice before

The Premise: In the near future, a man flies to New York to get his wife - a world renowned figure skater - to sign divorce papers. All around him, strange things are happening. People are dropping dead in the streets. Temperatures around the world are plummeting. Gravity has lost its hold in some places and people are "flying." And there is a conspiracy to murder his wife.

Dead people are ignored and stepped over in the street or tossed into the garbage. The news reports thousands are freezing to death worldwide, reporters interview people who plead that they don't want to fly like angels, there's talk of a "freshwater freeze" that will be instant but last only about two minutes. There are encounters with girls who look identical to the man's wife. And the man's older brother - once terrified of flying - now cannot stay on the ground, switching from one airplane to another as he rants on his cell phone about life and love.

I'm gonna come right out and say it: I did not understand this movie at all. I know that it's meant to be a metaphor for something. Perhaps a comment on moral decay, selfishness, and greed? I'm not sure. What I do know is that the film - despite its gorgeous images and capable cast - seems to stumble on its abundance of ideas and lack of focus. Nothing is given a satisfactory explanation and the motivations of its characters and the reasons for its events are muddled at best. The title may say that it's all about love, but for me it was all about confusion.

Gladiator is great, but it's been a long time. I should probably rewatch it soon.

I wasn't a fan of The Third Man. I loved the last chase and the visuals were fun and uniqie. Didn't feel the music though and the story only got interesting once
WARNING: spoilers below
Harry showed up

Good write-ups.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Glad you liked The Third Man! It's All About Love seems interesting and I like Vinterberg so I'm adding it to my watchlist!

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
I'm gonna come right out and say it: I did not understand this movie at all. I know that it's meant to be a metaphor for something. Perhaps a comment on moral decay, selfishness, and greed? I'm not sure. What I do know is that the film - despite its gorgeous images and capable cast - seems to stumble on its abundance of ideas and lack of focus. Nothing is given a satisfactory explanation

O_o This sounds familiar.

Master of My Domain
Eh, seems like another movie that's muddled in it's own 'grand' vision. I'm not adding it to my watchlist.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (John Cameron Mitchell, 2001)
Imdb

Date Watched: 02/28/16
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: Hedwig is a reason unto itself
Rewatch: Yes

Behind the glamorous wigs and glittery makeup, Hedwig and the Angry Inch is at its core a story about the search for one's identity, the need for love, and the pursuit of dreams.

Struggling to cope with the physical and emotional scars of a botched sex change operation and her abandonment by her husband, Hedwig - born a boy named Hansel - takes babysitting jobs to pay the bills and turns to music to vent her pain. And it is through one of these odd jobs that she meets and falls in love with a 17 year old boy named Tommy, who is struggling to find his own identity. But like the men who've passed through Hedwig's life before him, Tommy ultimately betrays Hedwig and she is left to pick up the pieces.

But this is no melodrama. Hedwig and the Angry Inch is ripe with hilarious dialogue, thick with innuendo, and bursting at the seams with a fantastic soundtrack of songs that entertain, enlighten and work to move the story forward. Director, writer, and star John Cameron Mitchell is glorious as Hedwig, reveling in her exaggerated and flamboyant stage persona, delivering her sarcastic lines with a razor wit, and letting her vulnerability and humanity show in the quieter moments.

But his is not the only strong performance. Miriam Shor is fantastic as Yitzhak, Hedwig's long suffering and neglected partner and band member who envies the glamorous Hedwig, while also yearning to breach the emotional wall Hedwig has built. And of course Michael Pitt is a wonder as Tommy Gnosis, the boy whose very identity was a gift from Hedwig and who repaid her by stealing her songs and claiming them as his own.

Hedwig is a movie that dazzles with its glamour, but also with its color and creativity. Everything about this film pops and moves. Nothing you see on the screen is accidental or insignificant. Its imagery is evocative and enlightening and probably not moreso than the crudely beautiful animation that accompanies the philosophical "Origin of Love."

It's also a film that shifted my ideas of what a musical can be. It has made me recognize that a musical need not feature random bursts of song with choreographed dancing. It can incorporate music in a way that compliments the story and provides exposition without feeling gimmicky or at all out of place. I still generally dislike the genre but with its great humor and emotional impact, I cannot help but love this particular musical.