Things that annoy you...

Tools    

The use of a single opening quotation mark instead of an apostrophe for abbreviated words.
Actually I thought this was a recent thing that's come about because of computer keyboards, but I was really surprised to see a trailer for The 'Burbs that makes the same mistake. The probably fan-produced poster on this site demonstrates the same thing:

http://showbizgeek.com/what-ever-hap...-of-the-burbs/

Speaking of grammar... I've been hearing this everywhere lately, but don't remember hearing it as common parlance in times past...
When people answer a question with the first word being "So."

Q. Can you describe to us the kind of technology your company is developing?
A. So, what we've been doing is interfacing blah-blah-blah.

It seems anyone asked a question these days starts out their answer with the word "so."
I know it's not a big deal or anything, but it sounds somehow rude or sloppily informal or something to me.

Starting with "so" to answer a question sounds like you were already talking, the questioner interrupted you, and now you're trying to continue with what you were saying. Because, when interrupted we usually say, "So, anyway..." or "So, as I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted...." But they're using it as the first part of an answer to direct questions:

Q. What kind of work did you do before this?
A. So I was working at a pharmaceutical company.

It just doesn't sound right.
It reminds me of valley-girl-speak or stoner-speak or something!
The answer should be "I worked at a pharmaceutical company."

Using "so" sounds like your were already in the middle of a thought, statement or story.

What's funny about that Caprain Steel is that I've noticed many people ending sentences with the word so, as if they had more to say. You don't see it in text, but I hear people say it a lot.

Another thing is people who use the word like for absolutely no reason. I'm like, can you please stop sounding like a moron?

Master of My Domain
Another thing is people who use the word like for absolutely no reason. I'm like, can you please stop sounding like a moron?
(The following is read in a Californian accent) And like, she was like, oh my god, like a total bitch, and btw I like met this hot guy on the beach and like...

Agree, it's very annoying when someone uses like at every other word.

(The following is read in a Californian accent) And like, she was like, oh my god, like a total bitch, and btw I like met this hot guy on the beach and like...

Agree, it's very annoying when someone uses like at every other word.
Even worse... put "so" and "like" together all the time!
So like you know what I mean?

How about people who end every sentence as a question - teenage girls are infamous for this, but it gets hard to take when adults are still doing it. It demonstrates a lack of confidence in what they're saying, where they have to seek validation for every statement, therefore everything is framed as a question.

How about people who end every sentence as a question - teenage girls are infamous for this, but it gets hard to take when adults are still doing it. It demonstrates a lack of confidence in what they're saying, where they have to seek validation for every statement, therefore everything is framed as a question.
It's known as the Australian question intonation. This also has the use of "like."

I also wonder if it might have something to with the amount of travel and immigration over the last 20 to 30 years. If English isn't your first language, then it makes some sense if you ask questioningly, rather than make a statement. If you listen to F1 driver (or anyone in the F1 world) being interviewed, even the English speaking people use words in a questioning manner. Such as adding a yes or no at the end of a sentence to enforce how they feel about something.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
When people have conversations in doorways because I either have to do acrobatics to get past them, or wait fifteen minutes checking my phone until they stop, because I don't have the balls to interrupt them

Speaking of grammar... I've been hearing this everywhere lately, but don't remember hearing it as common parlance in times past...
When people answer a question with the first word being "So."

Q. Can you describe to us the kind of technology your company is developing?
A. So, what we've been doing is interfacing blah-blah-blah.

It seems anyone asked a question these days starts out their answer with the word "so."
I know it's not a big deal or anything, but it sounds somehow rude or sloppily informal or something to me.

Starting with "so" to answer a question sounds like you were already talking, the questioner interrupted you, and now you're trying to continue with what you were saying. Because, when interrupted we usually say, "So, anyway..." or "So, as I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted...." But they're using it as the first part of an answer to direct questions:

Q. What kind of work did you do before this?
A. So I was working at a pharmaceutical company.

It just doesn't sound right.
It reminds me of valley-girl-speak or stoner-speak or something!
The answer should be "I worked at a pharmaceutical company."

Using "so" sounds like your were already in the middle of a thought, statement or story.
It's a new low in communication and offputting in exactly the ways you describe. A worthy successor to that horrible upward inflection placed on the end of sentences.

Air travel.

The bag search at airports.
The last bag search I had the moron took my toothpaste but left my razor and lighter.

Kids on planes.

Slow golfers.

When people are ignorant about subjects that they should know.

Case in point: I work at a vet clinic.

Recently the staff have noticed that a crow has been constantly attacking the window of a nearby empty building. One of my coworkers who has worked at the office for over a year and who worked at another vet clinic prior to that said to me "I think that crow has rabies."

When I told her that wasn't possible (rabies is a disease that only affects mammals), she responded by saying "But aren't birds mammals?"

I'm a mammal and proud of it! (I'm also a primate and, I don't know about the rest of you, but I evolved from apes... in fact, my grandfather was a primate... both of them!)

I eat something - and still feel hungry The worse is feeling hungry, eating something and then feeling even more hungry after...
I call this the hunger response.
I can go long periods without eating and not "feeling" hungry, but pop one small morsel and it's like a trigger - suddenly I'm ravenous. This is also behind my occasional binge eating, where once I start, I don't want to stop.

I'm a mammal and proud of it! (I'm also a primate and, I don't know about the rest of you, but I evolved from apes... in fact, my grandfather was a primate... both of them!)
I'm not a primate, I'm a hominid.

I'm not a primate, I'm a hominid.
You're both!
Taxonomy: your Order is Primates, your Family is Hominidae!
You can be a Primate without being a Hominid, but you can't be a Hominid without being a Primate.
(know-it-all Capt.)