Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Big Short directed by Adam McKay -
I can now say with perfect honesty and a straight face that I have seen every Best Picture Nominee for the 88th Academy Awards. I doubt I'll be able to say that again but boy was this year fantastic, and it's certainly difficult to see any of those nominees not winning. The Big Short does an amazing job at explaining and dense and difficult subject of the housing and stock market to basically anyone. And while not all of them stick, the style with which Adam McKay chooses to present those explanation sets the tone for this films bizarre fourth-wall breaking niche that does wonders for the writing and plot. It's not easy to describe something so unusually great without spoiling it all, but I can say that it's hilarious antics and humor don't ever detract from the depravity of the subject matter and all that it holds. And in fact, it perfectly balances both of those things in such a way that you can have a good chuckle, but still care about the rippling effects of all that's happening. I could not recommend this more and I am certainly interested to see if McKay continues to make films of this caliber and style. Somebody help me, I can't get this grin of my face.
I also liked it, not as much as you, but it was good.

VERY surprised it won the PGA though. Have no idea what that means for the Oscars though. It seemed like The Big Short wasn't even in the race until it snagged that one.

Master of My Domain
Sicario (Villeneuve, 2015)

I know some people were expecting an action film based on the first few scenes, then became disappointed when the story took a turn. For me, the viewing experience was a polar opposite: my facial expressions slowly shaped into a smile when some typical sequences turned into a smart thriller. Great film.

Bigger Than Life (1956)

James Mason plays a schoolteacher and family man who starts taking a "miracle drug", after being diagnosed with a life threatening health condition. He abuses the drug, and we watch how it negatively affects his life. This movie would seem to be ahead of it's time with all the addiction to prescription medication we see today. It's an effective and sad movie that feels realistic, and never goes over the top. James Mason has recently become a revelation for me; he is an exceptional actor. Barbara Rush as his wife, and Walter Matthau as his friend and colleague also give very fine performances.

Meet the Robinsons

One of the weaker disney efforts of recent-ish memory. Super short, with an incredibly muddled plot. Didn't laugh much either. The dino seemed like it was an attempt at creating a cute side character to make toys out of, but it didn't really have any relevance to the plot which is why it appears for all of 2/3 mins. That's what sprung to my mind anyway. Nothing horrible, it's not a bad movie. Just bland.

I have to return some videotapes...
The Drop (2014) - Michael R. Roskam

This film interested me because I am a huge Hardy fan, he's always so good, and it's also I believe the last major role of late actor James Gandolfini. I can't say I was disappointed because this film is really enjoyable. Hardy and Gandolfini are both very good in their roles although just so people who haven't seen it know, Gandolfini isn't in this as much as you would think. The storyline to this film is something I haven't seen before, but I didn't really enjoy the B side plot with the dog, it goes to places I don't really think are realistic. I feel the same way with some of the dialogue in this film as well, it just didn't seem right coming out of the characters mouths and it was a tad awkward at times. Just to give a shoutout to an actor that always goes unnoticed, John Ortiz, he's got a small part in this, but I wish this guy would get more work. He is great in a lot of the same roles he gets, but I always wish directors would give him a meatier role. Another thing I heard walking into this was that the ending was spectacular and while I think it's good, it didn't blow my mind or anything. Surprising? Sure, but great I don't know. Noomi Rapace's storyline in this kind of bothered me towards the end too because what ends up happening to her and Hardy, just really doesn't make much sense to me. Nonetheless, The Drop is a solid flick and it has some really subtle, but really honest performances with some cool twists and turns here and there.

++

The last movie I watched was Deadpool and I'm rating it 8/10. Nice movie.

Love and Mercy (2014)

This is the story of Brian Wilson, lead singer of The Beach Boys, and his struggle with mental illness.

I enjoyed watching this movie, but to me, there were some major negatives that I can't get over.

First, the positives-

1. I love movies that are set somewhere between the 60's and 80's, and especially when they're based on true stories.

2. The music was awesome, and I do believe that I found a new appreciation for Wilson and the band.

3. The depiction of the horror of mental illness was pretty effective.

4. It was cool watching a bit of the creative process in and out of the studio.

My big issues-

1. The performances/casting. This is a movie that demands exceptional performances, and I think if done right, some would call it Oscar bait. I didn't see any. I like Elizabeth Banks as a comedic actress, and she was ok in this as the love interest. However, she's never proven that she can give a knockout performance, and she didn't give one here. I love love love Paul Giamatti, but in this movie I got the actor in a bad wig, instead of the character he was supposed to play. He was alright, but not nearly good enough. I have always liked John Cusack, but more as a likable actor, than one who is above average in skill. What I said about Giamatti in this movie, I could say about Cusack for his entire career-he's always playing John Cusack. I thought he was mediocre in this, and more importantly, miscast. I think Paul Dano is a brilliant young actor, and he was ok in this, but this is far from his best work. This is a role that demands Oscar caliber work, but it doesn't come close. The most bothersome part of this to me, is having Dano and Cusack play the same guy. As far as I'm concerned, it should have been Dano all the way. There have been plenty of performances in which an actor ages on screen. If that wasn't a viable option for whatever reason, shorten the time period the movie portrays. Worst case scenario, play the first half of the movie with Dano and the second half with Cusack. Constantly going back and forth between the two actors distracts from a moving story. If anything, Cusack could have played his father.

2. Failure to capture an era. As I've said, I adore movies set during this time period. Unfortunately, this movie looks virtually the same set during the 60's as it does during the 80's, or how it would look if it was set today. Ok, maybe the clothes are different, but any ahole can change their shirt. Not everyone is a fan of Boogie Nights, Goodfellas, American Hustle, etc., but just see how they look and feel. If the director of one of those 3 movies made this movie, it turns out f**king awesome! That's how the big boys do it, but this is how you do a made for TV movie with a name cast. Stylisticly, a movie like this should be a goldmine, but this movie failed miserably in this regard.

I'm being harsh on the movie in relation to how much I enjoyed it, but I think it's deserved.

I don't think it's harsh, the movie is definitely flawed. I like it because I felt a personal connection to it, but yeah, it's not a perfect film by any stretch of the imagination. Just a good one.

Cospiracy.
Branagh and Tucci turn in fantastic parts among other British actors.The Wansee conference changed the world,as the world stands now the nazis got it right.
I dare you to watch it.

I've watched this movie over and over,feck off spielberg.

Lolita (1997)

Testament of Youth (2015)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Big Combo
Very solid movie. A great noir flick.

(MULTIPLE REWATCH) Open Range
The epitome of an old time western. Just love it!!

(COUNTLESS REWATCH) Reservoir Dogs
++ Been too long since my last rewatch.

Bigger Than Life (1956)

James Mason plays a schoolteacher and family man who starts taking a "miracle drug", after being diagnosed with a life threatening health condition. He abuses the drug, and we watch how it negatively affects his life. This movie would seem to be ahead of it's time with all the addiction to prescription medication we see today. It's an effective and sad movie that feels realistic, and never goes over the top. James Mason has recently become a revelation for me; he is an exceptional actor. Barbara Rush as his wife, and Walter Matthau as his friend and colleague also give very fine performances.
Sold! I never heard of it, but it sounds just like my movie. Onto my watch list it goes!

Love and Mercy (2014)

This is the story of Brian Wilson, lead singer of The Beach Boys, and his struggle with mental illness.

I enjoyed watching this movie, but to me, there were some major negatives that I can't get over.

First, the positives-

1. I love movies that are set somewhere between the 60's and 80's, and especially when they're based on true stories.

2. The music was awesome, and I do believe that I found a new appreciation for Wilson and the band.

3. The depiction of the horror of mental illness was pretty effective.

4. It was cool watching a bit of the creative process in and out of the studio.

My big issues-

1. The performances/casting. This is a movie that demands exceptional performances, and I think if done right, some would call it Oscar bait. I didn't see any. I like Elizabeth Banks as a comedic actress, and she was ok in this as the love interest. However, she's never proven that she can give a knockout performance, and she didn't give one here. I love love love Paul Giamatti, but in this movie I got the actor in a bad wig, instead of the character he was supposed to play. He was alright, but not nearly good enough. I have always liked John Cusack, but more as a likable actor, than one who is above average in skill. What I said about Giamatti in this movie, I could say about Cusack for his entire career-he's always playing John Cusack. I thought he was mediocre in this, and more importantly, miscast. I think Paul Dano is a brilliant young actor, and he was ok in this, but this is far from his best work. This is a role that demands Oscar caliber work, but it doesn't come close. The most bothersome part of this to me, is having Dano and Cusack play the same guy. As far as I'm concerned, it should have been Dano all the way. There have been plenty of performances in which an actor ages on screen. If that wasn't a viable option for whatever reason, shorten the time period the movie portrays. Worst case scenario, play the first half of the movie with Dano and the second half with Cusack. Constantly going back and forth between the two actors distracts from a moving story. If anything, Cusack could have played his father.

2. Failure to capture an era. As I've said, I adore movies set during this time period. Unfortunately, this movie looks virtually the same set during the 60's as it does during the 80's, or how it would look if it was set today. Ok, maybe the clothes are different, but any ahole can change their shirt. Not everyone is a fan of Boogie Nights, Goodfellas, American Hustle, etc., but just see how they look and feel. If the director of one of those 3 movies made this movie, it turns out f**king awesome! That's how the big boys do it, but this is how you do a made for TV movie with a name cast. Stylisticly, a movie like this should be a goldmine, but this movie failed miserably in this regard.

I'm being harsh on the movie in relation to how much I enjoyed it, but I think it's deserved.
Cricket you were harsh and I think I know why...because Love & Mercy would have been a film you really cared for if the director hadn't made so many mistakes. I agree with almost everything you said.

I sensed that this film could be a Top 10 for me, but there are way too many flaws, which pissed me off, and I get the sense it pissed you off in the same way. Great review BTW. You might have seen my review but if not here's a link (it's not a long review).
Love & Mercy

Cricket you were harsh and I think I know why...because Love & Mercy would have been a film you really cared for if the director hadn't made so many mistakes. I agree with almost everything you said.

I sensed that this film could be a Top 10 for me, but there are way too many flaws, which pissed me off, and I get the sense it pissed you off in the same way. Great review BTW. You might have seen my review but if not here's a link (it's not a long review).
Love & Mercy
I just read your review again and it looks like we agreed on a lot.

I tend to be harder on movies that I care about. I really could have loved Love & Mercy had it not had all those faults. I'll watch and post my thoughts on Bigger Than Life. I thinks James Mason is amazing in everything I've seen him in. And the last time I seen Barbara Rush she was a dish.

THE LAST MOVIE I SAW THAT I WOULD LIKE TO rate is "THE MARTIAN".

i really enjoyed the way it shows the human instinct to survive in an an environment which seems very unlikely and how the the human mind can come to together and very be resourceful. it also show with determination and hard work can pay off.

Care for some gopher?
People Will Talk (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1951) -
+

The dialogues in this movie are amazing! And how gorgeous is Jeanne Crain?