Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures (Jan Harlan, 2001)

I wish I had seen this before the Docs Countdown, because it would have definitely made my list. I think pretty much everyone here knows how I feel about Stanley Kubrick and I think this is a very good insight on his work and life.
It still doesn't top Frederic Raphael's book Eyes Wide Open because it could dig deeper into what was most fascinating about Kubrick: his mind and way of thinking, but it's amazingly enlightening! The almost 2 and half hours just went flying watching this!
Calling him the most brilliant mind who ever looked into a camera is almost underrating him and I just wished he was alive and still producing masterpieces!

Deadpool (2016)

If you've seen the trailer, then you pretty much know the whole plot. This is a very straight-forward superhero revenge story with an R-Rated twist. Half of the jokes and action scenes were already shown in the trailer. It really wasn't about plot though, it was about the masses finally getting their wish and seeing the actual Deadpool on the big screen. Even though it was very cliche, I must admit that it was VERY entertaining.

The Visit

M. Night Shyamalan the name had forever been tainted ever since Unbreakable, I was reluctant to see this movie to say the least. Surprisingly it was pretty good not at Sixth Sense level but still good to watch. The 2 young actors were enjoyable to watch especially the young boy with his raps. The actor who played the Nana was good and she added the creepy vibe to it all. i found this to be a bit more of a dark comedy than horror/thriller but it did not take anything away from it. Also traditional of M.Night he does have a twist at the end which I didn't really pick.

3.5/5 Stars

Robocop 2014:

I know that PG-13 remakes of 80s movies are the worst thing to happen since the Berlin Wall, but I thought this was pretty decent. It makes Robocop a real character, which is great. The plot has conveniences, and the satire is kind of heavy handed, but the original had those problems too. The movie is not worse in any way because it doesn't have gory 80s violence, but admittedly it is hurt by mediocre CGI effects. Chasing down criminals is fun. Fighting the big bad CEO is uninteresting. Acting is pretty strong from Oldman and Kinneman, but anybody could have played their roles. The little kid wanting to watch hockey with his father hit me hard personally. On its own it's a fine action film to rent for a casual watch.

Ant-Man (2015) - Peyton Reed

- Definitely one of my favorite Marvel character and movie. It's a very enjoyable and entertaining flick with a lot of likeable character. Paul Rudd fit perfectly in the role of Ant-Man and the rest of the cast is pretty solid especially Michael Pena who is completely hilarious. The Storyline is nice and was well-made (better than average super-hero movie storyline). The ending is cool and it was a nice viewing. I appreciate this flick.

I'm fairly new here, so I was wondering what you guys personally tend to use the "like" button for, other than to indicate that you agree with the poster's rating, and how often is it that you use it for other reasons? I mean, do you use it because:
1) you find the poster's review cool, insightful, funny, well-written, etc., even if you don't agree with the actual rating;
2) you find the review useful because it's a movie you haven't seen, and you're on the hunt for new movies to watch;
3) you simply like the fact that someone else watched that movie, period;
4) you dig that cool poster
5) insert you option.

Memento (2000) 5/5

Whiplash (2014) 2.5/5

Master of My Domain
Memento (2000) 5/5

Whiplash (2014) 2.5/5
You're off to a bad start girl. At least you gave Memento a proper rating.

Master of My Domain
The Quiet Man (Ford, 1952)

I watched a Ford film, and got one. First of all, the film is tightly written, with plenty of quotable dialogue and appropriate pauses inserted as a tension-builder or comedic relief. And there's something about old Hollywood films that makes conversations very entertaining. As for imagery, The Quiet Man is indeed a beautiful film, filled with lavish photography and Ford's brilliant usage of the surroundings he is given, however, as we all know, beauty is subjective, and the film's overall look did not blow me away.

-

Death Sentence (2007)

Kevin Bacon is a successful at work and at home, but while stopping at a gas station one night, his eldest son is savagely murdered by a gang. The person who physically did it is caught, but when Bacon learns that he will only get about 3 years due to lack of evidence, he purposely develops memory loss so the guy can go free. Of course, this is only so he can exact his own bloody revenge. However, there are other gang members he has to deal with. I enjoyed this a little bit as I'm a sucker for sweet revenge, and there's some pretty decent action. I have to say though that this is probably the dumbest movie I've ever seen, from the actions of the characters, to the dialogue, the soundtrack, the lighting, and everything in between. Kevin Bacon has never been worse, and John Goodman looks awful, like a walrus who shed his tusks. Imagine a cop saying, "you went to war with the wrong dawg". Holy crap.

Boldly going.
A walk in the woods 8/10

Story of a writer getting on in his years (played by Robert Redford) who just decides to hike the entire Appalachian Trail, which will take about 6 months. His wife - after citing all the dangers of such an adventure - only agrees to letting him go after insisting he takes someone with him. He ends up with an older, crusty, old friend with a slight limp (played by Nick Nolte). Funny and beautifully photographed, this movie was a joy to watch. The book was good too. Often true stories are the best.

Unregistered User
Death Sentence (2007)

Kevin Bacon is a successful at work and at home, but while stopping at a gas station one night, his eldest son is savagely murdered by a gang. The person who physically did it is caught, but when Bacon learns that he will only get about 3 years due to lack of evidence, he purposely develops memory loss so the guy can go free. Of course, this is only so he can exact his own bloody revenge. However, there are other gang members he has to deal with. I enjoyed this a little bit as I'm a sucker for sweet revenge, and there's some pretty decent action. I have to say though that this is probably the dumbest movie I've ever seen, from the actions of the characters, to the dialogue, the soundtrack, the lighting, and everything in between. Kevin Bacon has never been worse, and John Goodman looks awful, like a walrus who shed his tusks. Imagine a cop saying, "you went to war with the wrong dawg". Holy crap.

Agree.

Finished here. It's been fun.

The Blue Angel

Moral of the story:

These hoes ain't worth it.

Finished here. It's been fun.

The Green Ray

Couldn't care less about the "plight" of the main character. Boo hoo I'm lonely and single.

Photography was killer, tho.

I just saw Deadpool over the weekend and I give it a A-. I honestly did not expect Deadpool to be this good, I thought it would be an average action movie instead it delivers a fun, action packed, above average movie. The jokes are hilarious especially the many, many fourth wall breaks and references to other films (When Deadpool saws off his hand he says “Ever seen 127 Hours? Spoiler alert!”). Even if not all of the jokes hit the mark, Deadpool makes up for it by being fantastically fun.
You can see my full review on KaiTheCritic.com.