Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Martian (2015)

-

I wasn't sure about this one as I rarely enjoy outer space movies, but a story about someone being stranded can be involving in any setting if done well. I always like Matt Damon who was very good, and so was the supporting class. It's a movie that's easy to enjoy, but I did think it dragged out a little bit. I love the disco songs on the soundtrack, but I wish they'd be saved for a different kind of movie. My wife was loving it until she fell asleep about halfway through.

Merrily We Live (1938)

Screwball comedy from the same year as Bringing Up Baby, although not as famous as that film. The stars are Constance Bennett, Brian Aherne, Alan Mowbray, Billie Burke, Ann Dvorak, Clarence Kolb, and Bonita Granville. Some of these people were big stars of the era, especially Bennett, Aherne, Dvorak, Granville, and especially Burke, whom you'll remember as Glinda the Good Witch from The Wizard of Oz.

This is a tale about a rich family where the mother (Burke) is really ditsy and has a habit of taking in bums and giving them jobs around the house. The bums end up ripping them off of this or that, the last bum having made off with the silverware. The butler is constantly packing his bag, threatening to quit, the oldest daughter is constantly staving off the attentions of her pushy ex-boyfriend, the younger daughter always offers to give out the latest house gossip for fifty cents (yep, big money back then), and the dad is somewhat shallow, rubbing elbows with senators and the like.

Into this household comes someone who is mistaken for a bum, and of course the mom sets him up right away with a job as the chauffeur. And that's just the beginning of the goofy happenings. And like a lot of the screwball comedies, there's a love story attached, and a case of mistaken identity. This is well-worth seeking out.

The Divergent Series: Insurgent (2015)

Second film in the "Divergent" series, which picks up where the first left off, with Tris having made good her escape from the city, along with her love, Number Four, her brother Caleb, and total jerk Peter. They find sanctuary in Amity, a peace-loving compound. But things never stay peaceful in the dystopian world of the Divergent series. The escapees are constantly being hunted and those who help them are being hurt or killed. And there is a sort of MacGuffin in this one, one that revolves around Tris, although neither she nor the evil Jeanine know it...yet.

Shailene Woodley is good, again as the powerful and prone to violence Tris; Kate Winslet is pure evil, but nattily dressed as Jeanine; Theo James and Miles Teller are solid as Four and Peter, respectively; Octavia Spencer lends a strong presence as Amity leader Johanna; and new arrival Naomi Watts is on hand as Evelyn, someone who has a close relationship to someone in the story. This is another of those rare second installments of a series that makes me want to see the third. Doesn't really end on a cliffhanger as much as making you want to know "what's next?"

Re-watch:

Hooper (1978)

After the success of Smokey and the Bandit, director Hal Needham and stars Burt Reynolds and Sally Field got together for this action-comedy about movie stuntmen. In a movie about stuntmen making a movie (is that meta?), you know there's going to be tons of action and stunts and that's what you get, but there's lots of laughs, too. This has Brian Keith, James Best, Robert Klein, John Marley, and Adam West along for the ride, too. In a small appearance, there's also Terry Bradshaw as a brawling fellow who gets into it with Reynolds and gang. And Bradshaw has a full head of hair! Excellent fun.

Watched a few more 2015 films over the past few days.

Anomalisa -

Incredible! My second favourite from last year so far after Going Clear and if it holds up on a second viewing one of my very favourite animated films.

Carol -

Wasn't sure what to expect here, i thought it turned out pretty great again one of my favourites from last year. Curious to check out more from Haynes now.

Brooklyn -

Big disappointment for me i was expecting this to be one of my favourite best picture nominees but it is actually the one i've liked least out of the four i have seen. Saoirse Ronan was great though.

Welcome to the human race...
The Editor -

Being a parody of giallo movies, it looks amazing, but I'm not entirely sure it works all that well as a comedy.

Rewatched Edge of Tomorrow.. for like the 6th time.

Still not exactly sure whats wrong with the final act. I know it's too dark. It's just not nearly as exciting or funny as the rest of the film.

Care for some gopher?
Rebel Without a Cause (Nicholas Ray, 1955) -
+

Shoot 'Em Up (Michael Davis, 2007) -

13 Ghosts (1960)

A fun film that was far more entertaining than the 2001 effort. This one employs a gimmick where you too can see the ghosts by using special googles. A warning would appear on the screen to use the googles and you could choose which filter to look through to either see the ghosts or not see them.

Yes, for those who might recognise her, that is Margaret Hamilton (The Wicked Witch of the West) at the left of the picture.

3/5

The Black Dakotas (Ray Nazarro, 1954)

Decent enough "B-Western" that I caught on TV one morning. It's just over an hour long, and there's nothing to substantial or memorable about it, but there's enough twists and turns and decent enough performances to keep you interested. I've started waking up earlier in the day recently, and I've noticed that a lot of the movie channels show these cheap, obscure Westerns throughout the morning/day, it's a shame they don't regularly make Westerns any more.

The Great Silence (Sergio Corbucci, 1968)

I mainly watched this because of Swan, who gave it the same rating as me. I had previously seen Corbucci's Navajo Joe and Django, which I thought were "meh" and "decent", but this one is on another level to them for me. Really great film. I can see the comparisons with The Hateful Eight, mainly in the film's stylistic choices. The snowy setting works well, Kinski makes a fantastic villain, and Trintignant is cool as the unusual hero. The films bleak attitude and bloody violence hit hard, and although some scenes/editing could do with refining, perhaps as a product of their time/production, there's something attractive about this grittiness that makes this film appealing, a statement which I guess applies to Spaghetti Westerns in general. This is the type of film you perhaps wish was shot on Ultra Panavision 70mm.

Glad you liked Il Grande Silenzio, Daniel!!! One hell of a movie!
Yep, about time I got to it. By the way, I was planning on watching Wild Strawberries very soon, so I'll be sure to post in here as usual what I think.

My wife was loving it until she fell asleep about halfway through.
Did she mutter Swan's name in her sleep?

Finished here. It's been fun.

Deadpool
-

It was fairly entertaining, but it's not nearly as clever as it thinks it is.

That's the impression I've been getting from the trailers/marketing. Always going to be difficult to actually be cool, when it's trying so obviously to be so.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Merrily We Live (1938)

Screwball comedy from the same year as Bringing Up Baby, although not as famous as that film. The stars are Constance Bennett, Brian Aherne, Alan Mowbray, Billie Burke, Ann Dvorak, Clarence Kolb, and Bonita Granville. Some of these people were big stars of the era, especially Bennett, Aherne, Dvorak, Granville, and especially Burke, whom you'll remember as Glinda the Good Witch from The Wizard of Oz.

This is a tale about a rich family where the mother (Burke) is really ditsy and has a habit of taking in bums and giving them jobs around the house. The bums end up ripping them off of this or that, the last bum having made off with the silverware. The butler is constantly packing his bag, threatening to quit, the oldest daughter is constantly staving off the attentions of her pushy ex-boyfriend, the younger daughter always offers to give out the latest house gossip for fifty cents (yep, big money back then), and the dad is somewhat shallow, rubbing elbows with senators and the like.

Into this household comes someone who is mistaken for a bum, and of course the mom sets him up right away with a job as the chauffeur. And that's just the beginning of the goofy happenings. And like a lot of the screwball comedies, there's a love story attached, and a case of mistaken identity. This is well-worth seeking out.

Re-watch:

Hooper (1978)

After the success of Smokey and the Bandit, director Hal Needham and stars Burt Reynolds and Sally Field got together for this action-comedy about movie stuntmen. In a movie about stuntmen making a movie (is that meta?), you know there's going to be tons of action and stunts and that's what you get, but there's lots of laughs, too. This has Brian Keith, James Best, Robert Klein, John Marley, and Adam West along for the ride, too. In a small appearance, there's also Terry Bradshaw as a brawling fellow who gets into it with Reynolds and gang. And Bradshaw has a full head of hair! Excellent fun.

Merrily sounds similar to a Capra flick or in the same vein as My Man Godfrey with Powell and Lombard, which is a favorite. Can't remember if I've seen this or merely that it has a similar plot from another film I've seen Burke as a lovable ditzy mom; but I will be adding it to my watchlist, regardless.

And Hooper is great. Haven't seen that one for decades - need a rewatch of that one.

The Great Silence (Sergio Corbucci, 1968)

I mainly watched this because of Swan, who gave it the same rating as me. I had previously seen Corbucci's Navajo Joe and Django, which I thought were "meh" and "decent", but this one is on another level to them for me. Really great film. I can see the comparisons with The Hateful Eight, mainly in the film's stylistic choices. The snowy setting works well, Kinski makes a fantastic villain, and Trintignant is cool as the unusual hero. The films bleak attitude and bloody violence hit hard, and although some scenes/editing could do with refining, perhaps as a product of their time/production, there's something attractive about this grittiness that makes this film appealing, a statement which I guess applies to Spaghetti Westerns in general. This is the type of film you perhaps wish was shot on Ultra Panavision 70mm.
Watched The Great Silence for the 60's countdown and it made my list. I remember quite a few people praising it at the time ( for good reason) which prompted me to check it out. Glad to hear you enjoyed it Daniel.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Where The Sidewalk Ends (1950)
. Saw Cricket's review and found it on youtube. A true noir classic that I'll be putting on my 50's list.
THANKS Cricket!!

WARNING: "I actually thought that--" spoilers below
his partner and the new lieutenant we on the pay from the gangsters at one point. It definitely had the setup for it. I wonder if they were in the book this came from?

Along with the great cast I noticed that one of the "thugs" named Steve, was played by Neville Brand who I recognized from Stalag 17, which was kinda cool to see.

Mixtape King
The last movie I saw was "Windsor Drive". It's not terrible, but it's definitely not anything great. It seems to be a step up from a Cinemax movie. All the girls in the movie are hot, but there is not nudity, so it's not one of them files. The movie really has no point until the end, I'm not gonna spoil it.