Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
From the little black and white film within a film at the start, I thought I was going to enjoy it. I thought it seemed like it was made by someone who loved the little details of films. It had a good quirkiness to everything whilst being totally plausible, and looked gorgeous a lot of the time. I laughed at a lot of its jokes, I thought the humour was great. Things like this in particular reminded me of Anderson:

When you had mentioned Anderson this was the image that came to mind. And I agree about the humor; kept a wistful smile throughout.

Roman Holiday (1953)
A film I had never seen and needed to and wondered "What the hell took me so long?" A lovely and very charming movie.

Blood Simple directed by Joel Coen -
As the Coen brothers first feature film, it does an outstanding job of creating a tense atmosphere and interesting story. And while it does wander a little aimlessly through the plot, there are some good performances that help develop the air of discomfort the film holds so dearly to in the third act. In my personal opinion, the movie fizzles out after the second act, but I would be lying if I said it didn't go out with a bang. I will say I'm a little disappointed, I expected something more attention getting, but once you start the grasp what the story has in store you can't really help but be compelled by it. And it has an undeniably attractive visual charm that the Coen's certainly grew into later in their careers. I probably wouldn't watch it again, but it re-solidified my love of the Coen's, and for that I'm grateful.

Blissfully Oblivious
No Deadpool ratings? I'm shocked. I'll try to have one up tomorrow as well as A Most Violent Year, Antman, Bridge Of Spies, and Infinitely Polar Bear.

Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950)

+

From the top 100 Noir's list, and I would have to agree. The story is very well executed and goes in unexpected directions. Good cast with Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney, Karl Malden, and more.

Shame (2011)

Maps to the Stars (2014)

Sin Nombre (2009)

+

Two stories become one in this movie. A family from Honduras consisting of a teenage girl, her father, and her uncle, are traveling atop freight trains to go north to the US in search of a better life. Meanwhile, we see the story of a young man trapped in the vicious gang life in Mexico. I couldn't help but think of the great City of God while watching this movie, which can't quite match the ferocious energy of that masterpiece, but is still an excellent movie in it's own right. Very far from a feel good movie with plenty of powerful moments.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
I really like that film Cricket, I gave it the same rating as you did. The story isn't too inventive, but I like how they used the MS13 in the film to really give it realism. And the acting was pretty good for what it was, I did enjoy it quite a bit

As for me.

There are days when I really must chastise myself for literally watching anything that even has a whiff of Horror. This is one of those times, where I felt almost immediately like I was not the target demographic, and perhaps a female would enjoy the film much more than I did. Basically the film revolves around a very gay fellow and a bunch of (mostly) vapid women more concerned with carousing and sleeping around like crazy. The films antagonist basically murders based on vanity and that sort of thing, I sat through the entirety of it because I always held out of hope it would maybe get a bit better, but nope. It's not really a bad movie, it is kind of cheesy and you can plainly tell it's low budget. My biggest gripe is that it's definitely not meant for someone like me. Oh well, this is what I get for never reading a synopsis first, it's always more fun to torture yourself I guess, hahaha.

Care for some gopher?
Paths of Glory (Stanley Kubrick, 1957) -
+

Hiroshima Mon Amour (Alain Resnais, 1959) -

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Spotlight

Journalist stories are always one of intrigue to me. This was a wonderful film with wonderful performances from Keaton, Ruffalo, and McAdams, the latter of which I'm happy finally grabbed an Oscar nomination. I love to see how the story unfolds and I love how the film keeps its boundaries with such a touchy subject. It was a really well directed film. Since Brooklyn won't win Best Picture, I'll be rooting for this one. This film makes me want to start a Boston HOF. Something about movies centered around that city that just seems to work for me.

Found this more entertaining and visually interesting than the last one. It also has the most conspicuous actor of all time with his huge head towering above all. James The Magnificent Stewart.

Good watch but I am not in the mood to consume more movies from the old man.

A Star is Born (1954)

I watched this because of the upcoming 50's countdown, and this movie is on MoFo's top 100 Passion's list. That doesn't mean I was looking forward to it; a 3 hour classic musical is not normally my idea of a good time. What saves the movie for me is that it's a tragic story, rather than a feel good romp. Judy Garland plays a rising star who gets her big break thanks to a mega-star played by James Mason. Mason's character has a drinking problem, but the two of them fall in love and get married, while his fame plummets. I could have done with this movie being shorter, and the musical numbers are hit or miss for me. Garland is very good, and I'd guess that this movie is mostly remembered for her, but in my mind this movie belonged to Mason. His downward spiral is the most riveting part of the movie. The movie looks fantastic and does have an aura of greatness. There is also a parallel between the movie and Garland's real life struggles that bring out a haunting quality.

Jesus Camp directed by Rachel Grady and Heidi Ewing -
It's not a particularly easy movie to comment on, because with most documentaries, the quality of it comes down to the handling of its subject and its style. Jesus Camp doesn't have anything too special in its visuals, but the way it tells its horrifying story is certainly gripping. It can be undeniably one sided, and that is the movies biggest issue, but it doesn't hold much back when it comes to its shocking truths. It all goes to show you how impressionable children are, and how manipulative adults can be. For quite a majority of the movie I sat with my jaw open, in a sort of amused daze, at just how ridiculous these people could be. Jesus Camp is nothing extraordinary, but it brings some light to the depravity of extremist behavior in the christian faith, and it does that in an interesting and compelling way.

Jesus Camp directed by Rachel Grady and Heidi Ewing -
It's not a particularly easy movie to comment on, because with most documentaries, the quality of it comes down to the handling of its subject and its style. Jesus Camp doesn't have anything too special in its visuals, but the way it tells its horrifying story is certainly gripping. It can be undeniably one sided, and that is the movies biggest issue, but it doesn't hold much back when it comes to its shocking truths. It all goes to show you how impressionable children are, and how manipulative adults can be. For quite a majority of the movie I sat with my jaw open, in a sort of amused daze, at just how ridiculous these people could be. Jesus Camp is nothing extraordinary, but it brings some light to the depravity of extremist behavior in the christian faith, and it does that in an interesting and compelling way.
After that movie I developed a fondness for speaking in gibberish ("tongues") but I don't do it very often. It's pretty easy to do although I can see how it's a talent that can be improved upon.