Sequels/prequels that retroactively ruined the originals

Tools    

I wrote this long post about the Rocky franchise which I have deleted because I got on my soapbox and I did not like it. (being on a soapbox that is) I do challenge myself, and anybody who wants to participate, to name a franchise that has not choked on its own formula. My own favorite franchise, the Godfather, blew it in number III. I think you can ruin the earlier movies in a franchise if it becomes a mere formula that is repeated until even the original film seems like a tired old rehash.. (If you all think I need to start a new thread I will).I think to be called a franchise there needs to be at least three movies in the series. I'd be interested in watching anything that you guys come up with.

Welcome to the human race...
Ok, this entire concept is impossible. A sequel cannot ruin something that came before it because you already watched and enjoyed the prequel. It's fine that there are terrible sequels (Gremils 2 is not one, it's an amazing film), but they can't actually affect the films that came before. Just freaking watch the first film(s) and pretend the sequels don't exist. I'm sorry, but Superman is still an amazing movie despite Superman IV. Terminators 1 and 2 are off the charts awesome. The Matrix is still great. This concept of retroactively ruining something is absurd.

Sheesh.
You can tell this post was made before Terminator: Genisys came out.

I have to return some videotapes...
You can tell this post was made before Terminator: Genisys came out.
Haha I was just about to say that.

The thing is, I'm not sure the original film is always ruined by the sequels in retrospect. Highlander could be said to be one film that perhaps was affected by its sequel. In the case of Alien and Predator I think they remain pretty untroubled as classics irrespective of the weaker sequels that came later.
Yes, Highlander II completely "ret-conned" all the concepts that were firmly established in Highlander I.
It effectively took a fantasy-adventure story about a "race" of human beings gifted with a mystical power of immortality and tried to turn it into a sci-fi about human-looking aliens. And it failed miserably in its attempt.

While I'm not sure if it's entirely possible for a sequel to do this to a film, Spectre sure made a run at doing it to Daniel Craig's first three Bond films.

Sinister 2... but it doesn't ruined nothing for me but still one of the worst sequel I've ever seen

Yes, Highlander II completely "ret-conned" all the concepts that were firmly established in Highlander I.
It effectively took a fantasy-adventure story about a "race" of human beings gifted with a mystical power of immortality and tried to turn it into a sci-fi about human-looking aliens. And it failed miserably in its attempt.
I think there's something in the extended cut where it's suggested that Zeist is basically Earth in the past, with the Immortals being sent forward in time; but that would still make no sense unless they could go back to childhood on arrival.

Terminator Genysis
Ghostbusters II
Staying Alive (the sequel to Saturday Night Fever...not so much ruined the original, but was just a bad movie)
Ocean's Twelve (what a complete borefest...the dialogue, the cinematography, the acting...everything was horrible)

Xxx state of the union

Literally contradicted the ******* title

"Xxx is a designation for our deepest cover operatives"

Got some early onset Alzheimer's Sammy? You called diesel xxx as a crack on his tattoo joking on him saying it was like 3 strikes EPIC ****ING FAIL

2011's The Thing, which served as a prequel for the 1982 film of the same name, was on its own merits a fairly average attempt at recapturing the spirit of the original. However, knowing that it was originally supposed to be a straight remake rather than a prequel does have its problems when it comes to the ending of both films...
Considering the Thing is FAR more intelligent in the prequel, it doesn't make any sense for it to attack itself.

Welcome to the human race...
Considering the Thing is FAR more intelligent in the prequel, it doesn't make any sense for it to attack itself.
It's been a while since I've seen the prequel and there's a fair bit that I don't remember about it, but my understanding based on the original film is that it's left a little ambiguous as to whether or not infectees can recognise each other as Things or even be aware of whether or not they themselves are infected. If each infectee functions as an independent organism (as theorised by MacReady during the blood test) then it stands to reason that two fully infected humans may still work against one another.

It's been a while since I've seen the prequel and there's a fair bit that I don't remember about it, but my understanding based on the original film is that it's left a little ambiguous as to whether or not infectees can recognise each other as Things or even be aware of whether or not they themselves are infected. If each infectee functions as an independent organism (as theorised by MacReady during the blood test) then it stands to reason that two fully infected humans may still work against one another.
The whole concept of "not knowing if you're infected" also seems debunked by the original The Thing as well as the prequel, because The Thing always seems to "infect" by force, killing and absorbing on the spot. The Thing may ACT like it doesn't believe it is The Thing, but I've never seen any reason to believe that it can subtly infect people without them knowing it.

Part of the reason I say The Thing is more intelligent in the prequel is because it doesn't blatantly give itself away unnecessarily and it can even appear to be someone normal and use them to lie as a means of cornering them. This is also part of the reason why I doubt that "infected" aren't self aware.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I agree with the mention of Saw.

I really adore the first film. The sequel was decent, by horror sequel standards. Then we got into the "franchise" aspect of the series, which was never meant to be. Once we went down that road, the series started messing with the original and RETCONNED the entire series. That's why to me, Saw is a perfect example. I can't go back to the original film without knowing what they've done to the story aspect. Can I pretend the other films don't exist? Sure, but I'm already seen them and know the outcome.

The original is still a good horror film and still packs a great shock ending....but damn.

Suspect's Reviews

The finale for How I Met Your Mother is the perfect example for TV.
The second season of Code Geass (called R2) practically ruins the first season.

The first season is so good, but it introduces characters, raises questions, and ends on a cliffhanger that is only resolved in the profoundly shitsuckingly infuriating second season. I can't think of Code Geass or say I like Code Geass without being reminded of that... heinous betrayal of a sequel series.

At least terrible sequels like Alien 3 don't impact Aliens since Aliens is a self-contained movie.

I can only pretend that Code Geass aborted midway through development and ended the entire show on a cliffhanger.

Not drag everything good about it through the dirt long enough for me to hate every single character I used to love and end on one of the greatest most profound ending sequences ever put to TV and compel me to uncontrollable tears because the context it was presented in pissed me off more than anything else I've ever seen in my entire life.

Everyone bitches about the Star Wars prequels, but what if Star Wars 8 featured Han Solo becoming a total dick, ditching Leia, recruiting Luke as his evil sidekick and naming himself the new Emporer, building a new Death Star without any vulnerabilities, and then waging a massive racist campaign intended to subjugate Wookies all because he has this secret plan for Luke to kill him because people need to see Luke kill a bad guy.

That's Code Geass R2.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
At least terrible sequels like Alien 3 don't impact Aliens since Aliens is a self-contained movie.
Some people argue the killing of the two characters at the beginning of Alien3, ruins the trials and tribulations they go through in the second. Makes everything they did and accomplished feel like nothing. Thus, ruining their enjoyment of it.

That's just some people though...

Not saying "Aliens" ruined "Alien", but these are two quite different movies. Aliens go from ninja assassin style in the first movie to mass frontal assault in the second.

Tampering with original concept of a movie is another reason why sequels usually are not as good as originals. One thing that often happens in sequels is the removal of mystery because of the need to expand story. Mystery elements are rarely to the detriment of a movie. I personally like possibility of many interpretations provided by mystery.

Dialogue from "Mulholland Drive":

"Detective Neal Domgaard: [holds up an evidence bag containing a pearl earing] The boys found this on the floor in back of the caddy.
Detective Harry McKnight: Yeah, you showed me.
Detective Neal Domgaard: Could be unrelated.
Detective Harry McKnight: Could be. Any of those dead kids wearing pearl earings?
Detective Neal Domgaard: No. Could be someone's missing.
Detective Harry McKnight: That's what I'm thinking."

The Saw sequels really tarnished the original which was amazing for being so amateur and low budget. That's as close to "ruined" as you can get and it's not too uncommon when it comes to the horror genre.