Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I can see an argument being made that some of those don't really have any films that are critically panned. But to include Lynch is hilarious, Dune is one of the most famous bad movies ever.

I can see an argument being made that some of those don't really have any films that are critically panned. But to include Lynch is hilarious, Dune is one of the most famous bad movies ever.

I like the movie Dune, but yeah not a good flick. But I refuse to take my nostalgia goggles off and not enjoy it.

Don't forget he made Eraserhead.

I like the movie Dune, but yeah not a good flick. But I refuse to take my nostalgia goggles off and not enjoy it.
I can totally see that, i remember Guap saying it is the best bad movie ever made. I went in thinking that was going to be the case for me, but sadly it was a painful experience.

I can totally see that, i remember Guap saying it is the best bad movie ever made. I went in thinking that was going to be the case for me, but sadly it was a painful experience.
And I can see how it could. The pacing is crap and the exposition dumps are enormous.

The Revenant
Alejandro González Iñárritu

I don't see how this movie is called a ''masterpiece''. It doesn't offer anything particular, especially regarding the storyline, which is very simple. Yes, Leo offered an astonishing performance (and so did the other actors) and the movie as a whole kept me thrilled and entertained, but I thought it was overlong and predictable. It's good, but not amazing.

Don't forget he made Eraserhead.
D*mn right

The Women on the 6th Floor

I also tried to watch in the same night the Korean film The Suspect but was tired and got bored with it, so it went back to the rental place because I've had it since the beginning of January... will get it out again some other time.

The Siege (1998)

Not one of Zwick's best. It has enough explosions and star power though to be a mildly entertaining political crime-drama. The movie is somewhat notorious for predicting terrorist attacks in NYC three years before 9/11 happened. Worth a watch if you have nothing else better to see; the ending was pretty dumb though.

I have to return some videotapes...
A Serious Man (2009)

I'm going to preface this mini review by saying that if you didn't know this film is considered widely as one of the worst Coen's films and also considered to be not worthy of its Best Picture Nomination. I'm also going to start this by saying this film isn't that bad and I found to actually enjoy most of it. One of the problems I had during the whole film is that a lot of the side plots I didn't feel went anywhere by the end of the film. I guess they kind of were going for that though, but it still bothered me. I also without spoilers wasn't a fan of the ending really since it just left me with more questions about whats to happen with this man's life. There is also a fair amount of bad acting in the film not from the lead, but some of the people who work around him. In the end I just felt left wondering what the point was and in some way I feel like they wanted the viewer to think that. Overall, some of the story doesn't flow and the acting can be rough, but it still has some great scenes and an interesting message that will divide viewers.

+

Finished here. It's been fun.

Blackhat
(Rw)

Keep doing ya thing, Mann. Don't let the haters stop you.

Best film of the decade.

That Obscure Object of Desire

What a way to end a career.

I have to return some videotapes...
Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)

I first took notice of this film when I started following Oscar Issac's work and I had always been curious about the whole idea of this film. I didn't know it was a Coen Brother's film until fairly recently and that made me even more curious. With all of this build up I have to say it was a pretty good film. I enjoyed a lot of the aspects of what this film represents and how it shows it to the viewer without spoon feeding them. it wants you to understand that in Llewyn's mind art is a genuine place to express one's self and its not about turning a profit, your supposed to show it more respect than that. You also really get a sense of his tragic life where everywhere he looks people are getting big all around him who aren't making the same genuine work. The character interactions are at their best I feel and the Coen's as usual did a great job with the script. There are a couple flaws I had ultimately with this film though. I wasn't a fan of the way this ended even though I understand everything that went down. It just felt too far out of left field and didn't feel earned as an ending. One of the other things I had a problem with is their are some abrupt moments the jolt the pace and then a lot of moments that are taken far too slowly; it has a clear pacing problem. Some of the scenes I think could have easily been cut so the film could flow a little more. Overall, a solid film that has a lot of great themes to explore and should be explored with a gripping main character.

Silver Linings Playbook (2012)

This movie starts by a man coming back from a mental hospital determined to reconcile with his wife who had an affair and the first half an hour or so are very strong which is why it's frustrating when it goes of the rails.

The mental illness of Pat and Tiffany is not explored at all, the movie throws it aside in order to venture into generic romantic comedy, throwing in irrelevant plots that I did not care about (I could live with the dance part, but the betting stuff were completely unnecessary).
Pat apparently has bipolar, but he shows no signs of it
The mental illness aspect honestly just seems like it is put in the movie to give some 'quirks' to the characters and that is offensive IMO.

For a film that got 4 acting nominations I wasn't overly impressed by any of the actors. De Niro was good and Cooper was fine, but he gives no depth to his character, he delivers his lines convincingly and that's it.
Lawrence was bad, she has no idea how to play a 'crazy' person with complexity, instead she just yells and grimaces, but there is nothing behind the eyes.

I think I have to go watch 'The Fighter' to wash out the bad taste of this out of my mouth.

Paisan
-

Made a badddd mistake watching this after a Mann masterpiece.

still solid neo-realism tho.