Unbreakable

→ in
Tools    

Saw this last night at a sneak preview. I had extremely high hopes for this because I loved "The Sixth Sense". Perhaps too high. I don't want to spoil anything for anybody, so I'll briefly say that the pacing in parts was extremely slow and it LOOKS very dark and dreary. Some of the scenes were very awkwardly staged, and others drew unintentional laughter. As in "Sixth Sense", if you pay attention, you'll catch on early what's really going on.

Hmmm...I loved the Sixth Sense myself, I don't know if I will go and see it right away or wait until it gets out in video.

Thanks for the tips!

Cheers!

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
My friend saw this tonight, and she said " it was soo wierd and kinda confusing at some parts.......i don't know really if i like it or not. i have never seen anything like it before" So it must be good I guess.

I just saw it this afternoon...my mother agreed with you--it was dark and depressing for her. But to me, the mood was necessary to de-romanticize the superhero, or in this case, Bruce Willis. The film took the ubermensch and made him more human, more caring, more vulnerable. My main concern was...what the heck was up with Samuel L. Jackson's hair? It was bizzare...I know they were trying to make him out to be the total freakazoid that he was, but...can someone in makeup please bring the man a comb? You go to all the trouble to have a nice art house, nice car, and fancy computers, and you can't comb your hair? But I digress...

If I were to pitch the film, I would call it The Matrix meets Blade Runner, who in turn meets The Dead Zone. Like some of you all, I thought the pacing could have been better and some of the dialogue was a bit forced, but I definitely would see it again and recommend it to others.

Peace, out.
Rhonda

Originally posted by PeskyP
You go to all the trouble to have a nice art house, nice car, and fancy computers, and you can't comb your hair? But I digress...
Ever hear of Bill Gates?

Originally posted by PeskyP
If I were to pitch the film, I would call it The Matrix meets Blade Runner, who in turn meets The Dead Zone. Like some of you all, I thought the pacing could have been better and some of the dialogue was a bit forced, but I definitely would see it again and recommend it to others.
Odd cross there, apparently! I have yet to see this, but definitely plan to. Expect a big movie weekend out here: The 6th Day and Unbreakable - wahoo!

From PeskyP:
"You go to all the trouble to have a nice art house, nice car, and fancy computers, and you can't comb your hair? "

I have to differ... you said "fancy computers". They were Apple's... fancy? (hehe)
-------
I was quite disappointed with this one... nice premise, but poor photography and weak plot... I had this figured from the moment Willis stepped in Limited Edition... yet again, my wife made me sit through the rest of the movie... *sigh* Yes, dear...

Dude, if you're nerdy enough to notice what kind of computers they have....well, anyway.

I used to be a supervisor tech for Gateway Computers (fka Gateway 2000) and have been programming / building / repairing computers since I was in middle school (about 10 years). I'm now a webdesigner so being that "nerdy" must have paid off... aside from all that, this is a forum about movies, not how nerdy I am...
[Edited by WaltSnider on 11-26-2000]

LOL - you can talk about how nerdy you are over in the new "Intermission" forum.

I just saw Unbreakable today - what a strange movie! I think it was good though, and here's why:

It made you think, and left enough open to keep things interesting. The ending left things open quite a bit - it's open to interpretation.

I was also nervous early on and in some other places - it was nerve-wracking. I found myself leaning forward to hear it all, like some others in the theatre.

As for some of the jokes: I don't think it was un-intentional - the whole theatre laughted at the gun scene in the kitchen, and at some others too! It didn't run the mood though.

All I'll say is this (trying not to spoil anything for anyone): Samuel L. Jackson looked that way because that's the way it is for, uh, that kind of person. Hopefully those who have seen the movie will know what I mean.

[red]ADMIN EDIT: SMALL SPOILER AHEAD![/red]

Yeah, but his eyes weren't that big
[Edited by TWTCommish on 11-29-2000]

Female assassin extraordinaire.
i haven't been to the movies in WEEKS ... ugh. i am jealous of you all.

walt dear, nerds are very cool. in their way they run the world. being "nerdy" is, to me, not an insult, hehe.

i wanna see unbreakable! yet, I don't. why? cause as we know it looks just like the sixth sense. they should have waited another year or something you don't do the same look, the same director, the same lead, and a similar topic back to back, you just don't. you're begging for a fall. let us simmer a while, let us ponder, let us grow to admire the craftsmanship of the original, let us forget, then remind us some time later, not so soon!

that's why hollywood is running out of topics, they're so eager to make their buck or show off or show each other up they wring a storyline or style dry within a year of the experience. part of the reality of enjoying pleasure is having it in moderation ... restraint ... waves, a little here, a little there ... no wonder we're so sick of all the space movies and all the teen movies. there was a time there where we almost had too many jim carrey movies but fate or wisdom had him pace it out a little. at least he put the grinch far enough away from the mask for it not to bother us TOO much.

same thing with 6th day ... arnold and his cloning reminds me of face/off in which something similar happened. and I just KNOW this one isn't going to be nearly as good as face/off. my best friend loves arnold so I guess we're gonna go see that too this weekend ...

anyway just a rant. thanks for listening. no back to our regularly scheduled forum reading.
_________
all the dungarees in the world can't buy you Australia. just settle for watching the croc hunter.

That's the thing, though: Unbreakable is not "The Sixth Sense" - it's just slow-moving, eerie, and has the same odd feeling to it. Not much more than that - other than a supernatural element - but heck, a lot of movies have that.

It definitely stands on it's own - trust me on that one.

I'm not insulting nerds...yeesh! People need to lighten up. I wasn't even insulting Samuel L. Jackson's hair...just observational humour. :/ I find it interesting, however, that most of the people who have posted--and most of the people that I have talked to--who did not like this movie were basing it solely on "The Sixth Sense". Unfortunately, this is a product of the marketing scheme, because they said that this was the writer for the same. I say, go into it with an open mind and let the film stand on its own merits.

[red]ADMIN EDIT: SOME SPOILERS IN THIS NEXT PARAGRAPH![/red]

For those of you who knew what was going to happen at the end halfway through the movie, you must be like Karnac because I didn't see the ending coming. I knew a few plot twists (I even remember telling my mom that I thought Willis had faked the car wreck injury), but the ending was a bit of a surprise to me. Perhaps I wasn't as astute as I should have been. In retrospect, yeah, I probably shoulda seen it. Oh, well, it's better to be surprised, nec pas?
[Edited by TWTCommish on 11-29-2000]

Didn't see it.
I didn't read this too closely because I didn't want to see any spoilers.

BUT, I think Samuel L. Jackson is bald in real life. He may not know how to comb his hair. LOL!

"that's why hollywood is running out of topics, they're so eager to make their buck or show off or show each other up they wring a storyline or style dry within a year of the experience."

Although I didn't see the movie yet I totally agree with thmilin, we are in a massive recycling era in Hollywood. I am starting to like more and more Euro movies and the indie (independant) ones.

But for now I see a lot of different opinions regarding Unbreakable that I will have to see it asap hehe.

Finally, I agree that you shouldn't have to flag your movie to attract more viewers; the movie should speak for itself.

Cheers!

Pesky! Shhhhhhh don't give any of it away! (car wreck) While it wasn't the greatest movie in the world, it still was pretty spiffy.

Yeah, you might want to go back and edit that post with something like "SPOILERS! Skip this post if you do not want to spoil this movie for yourself...", etc.

Anyway - the movie stands on its own - it's simply a marketing ploy to get more people to see it. I think it's working so far.

Sorry Peter! Don't worry: it's nothing major. You can kind of see it coming anyway - it'll only spoil one small part for you - not the movie as a whole.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Oh ok. I don't know if I'm going to see this in the theater or not. Is it one of those movies where it is only good if you see it in the theater?