Arthouse Mafia

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
My friends in my real life generally know nothing of the type of films I watch

Also, I'd say I have an excellent understanding of Japanese Cinema. Most cinephiles I know, even the arthouse-types I meet sometimes, aren't too familiar with Japan outside of Kurosawa and Miyazaki. This is a unique perspective I think I can offer to you guys.
Pinku eiga much?
Also, I can't wait to argue frivolously about arthouse movies!
Me too. You're in!

Arthouse Mafia has 10 members now! We're getting mainstream!

February in 4 days!

What's the Movie of the Month for February?

We need a movie that is more accessible. I don't d/L and I'm stuck not watching it.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I'd like to volunteer myself...for the April selection. A Brighter Summer Day comes out in late March for the first time in greater than a poor VHS copy that's nearly unwatchable in parts. Their transfer from a 35 print will hopefully be stellar and the movie itself is one of the greatest ever made, so I think it'd potentially be a good April pick.

Minio I have a recommendation..."Valerie and her week of wonders". I know a few of us have seen it but I'm sure there are some who haven't. And I'm the one who suggested we watch one film a month.

I have a recommendation; Sinbad (1971)

Minio, please put me on Your list
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

You're in, Nemanja!

February Movie of the Month: Sinbad (1971)
March Movie: ???
April Movie of the Month: A Brighter Summer Day (1991)

Additional movie (when you already watched the movie of the month and have nothing better to do):
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970)

If and when I get my hands on Four Nights of a Dreamer, I'll review it. In the meantime I'll keep it on my to-watch list. But I haven't been able to get it yet. Senso's we-transfer didn't work. I don't know, it could be because I waited too long. But I had to go to an internet cafe.

omg, just don't visit the forum for a while and arthouse weirdos gang up...

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Quatre nuits d'un rêveur a.k.a. Four Nights of a Dreamer (1971)

My watching was a bit harmed by the very low quality of the copy, which is a shame because I liked some of the cinematography I've seen. The night lights especially seemed fascinating.
There are some really beautiful scenes here. The scene with Jacques following the girls, the pseudo-intellectual artist giving this speech about art or the naked girl looking at the mirror are truly beautiful.
That being said, I didn't quite feel engaged by the story. I wanted it to be more absorving though I can't say what went wrong. I feel that there is something on this movie calling for me but I just can't see it, relate to it or let myself be engaged by it.
Dostoievsky is one of my favourite writers but I still think that it's almost impossible to bring him to film, cause so much of his writing relies on personal interpretation. This is still a good try, and I hope I can rewatch it someday with a much better quality.

+