Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

Your review didn't look familiar, either my memory is worse that I remember or I didn't see your review. But it sounds great and if you really liked it, I'm sure I will at least enjoy it.

Never heard of it, but, I just looked up and it sounds interesting. I'll add that one too my watch list too, thanks
Yep. GBG summed it up in her review - you'll laugh, you'll cry.
It's one of those life-affirming movies that leaves you a little better than before you watched it. (Plus, who doesn't want to see Charles Grodin when he was still acting?)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Your review didn't look familiar, either my memory is worse that I remember or I didn't see your review. But it sounds great and if you really liked it, I'm sure I will at least enjoy it.
I'd be surprised if you don't like it. You should also check out the Robert Downey Jr. movie Chances Are. It's not quite as good, but it's also a great movie.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...19#post1332419

Oh Charles Grodin is in it? Do you guys like him? I never did.
I haven't seen Charles Grodin in a lot of movies, but I like him in Seems Like Old Times and Midnight Run.

I use to see Grodin on David Letterman, he was funny in a know-it-all type of way, but I think that was just an act. I'm sure he'll be OK in the film.

Didn't you recently watch The Tender Trap?

Oh Charles Grodin is in it? Do you guys like him? I never did.
I'm not really familiar with a lot of his work (for instance, I've never seen a single "Beethoven" movie - the ones about the dog). But I liked the fact that Grodin played low-key, dead-pan, usually neurotic characters. He was good in The Heartbreak Kid (1972) & Midnight Run (1988) and I especially liked him in The Lonely Guy (1984) with Steve Martin.

I absolutely love his character in Heart & Souls. I'm not a huge fan of anyone in particular in the movie, but it works so well and is such a wonderful film.

I use to see Grodin on David Letterman, he was funny in a know-it-all type of way, but I think that was just an act. I'm sure he'll be OK in the film.

Didn't you recently watch The Tender Trap?

Yes, I watched The Tender Trap recently, but Charles Grodin isn't in it.

But Debbie Reynolds was, she was totally wrong for the part too. I'm not a fan of hers. And I can't believe for a second that Sinatra's character would fall in love with her. She was basically annoying. I would have went with Celeste Holmes.

Captain, I just added The Lonely Guy to my watch list, which is getting bigger But you guys have steered me to some really great films

But Debbie Reynolds was, she was totally wrong for the part too. I'm not a fan of hers. And I can't believe for a second that Sinatra's character would fall in love with her. She was basically annoying. I would have went with Celeste Holmes.

I liked Debbie Reynolds in The Tender Trap. Not as much as I like her in some of her other movies, but I didn't think she was wrong for the part.

Are you watching it now? (It sounds like you may not have gotten to the end yet.)

I watched it last night, I had seen your review and so I got it. I had seen it before it's a really good film.

I just don't see a swinging bachelor like Sinatra choosing her, she was young, naive, silly about the way she planned out her whole future and had a personality of a cold fish. As we know Sinatra didn't care much for the fish.

I watched it last night, I had seen your review and so I got it. I had seen it before it's a really good film.

I just don't see a swinging bachelor like Sinatra choosing her, she was young, naive, silly about the way she planned out her whole future and had a personality of a cold fish. As we know Sinatra didn't care much for the fish.
Yeah, but she was cute, and he seemed to be attracted to her from the first time he met her. She was the one who wasn't interested in him at first.

I didn't think she was cute, Poppy the first girl was cute. I could see Shirley MacLaine in Reynolds role...or better yet Shirley Jones.
Shirley MacLaine yes, but I'm not so sure about Shirley Jones.

You don't like Shirley Jones? or just don't see here in the part?

Oh, I have to agree with you, the opening song The Tender Trap by Sinatra is very cool! Love that song.

On the DVD was a short 15 documentary on Frank Sinatra in the 50s, called "Frank in the Fifties" if you can find it, it's interesting. Did you know Columbia records dropped him early in his carrier? And that he walked out on MGM as he didn't like the roles he was getting.

You don't like Shirley Jones? or just don't see here in the part?
I like Shirley Jones, just not for that part.

Oh, I have to agree with you, the opening song The Tender Trap by Sinatra is very cool! Love that song.

On the DVD was a short 15 documentary on Frank Sinatra in the 50s, called "Frank in the Fifties" if you can find it, it's interesting. Did you know Columbia records dropped him early in his carrier? And that he walked out on MGM as he didn't like the roles he was getting.
I know there were problems with Sinatra as an actor. He was a good actor, but I've always liked him more as a singer than as an actor.

Did you know that he was originally cast to star in the movie Carousel, but he walked off the set when he found out that some scenes would have to be filmed twice for Cinemascope? The irony is that they found a different way to film it after he left, and the scenes only had to be filmed once.

Did you know that he was originally cast to star in the movie Carousel, but he walked off the set when he found out that some scenes would have to be filmed twice for Cinemascope?

The irony is that they found a different way to film it after he left, and the scenes only had to be filmed once.
That's interesting, I didn't know that. I know he really hated doing second takes on his movies.

I agree with what you said about the time travel. Not only that but it is a form of catharsis for me. Maybe I'm going through a break up, or surgery, or a death in the family and I don't know how to handle any of those situations. Suddenly I might want to hang out with one of my favorite movie buddies Travis Bickle, The Man with no name, or Jules. Maybe they can give me some insight on the situation, or simply relieve me of my emotional burden.

Have you ever seen Heart and Souls (1993), Rules?
I'm not a big Robert Downey Jr. fan, but I really liked that movie.
(Haven't seen it in a long time so I hope it's held up as well as I remember it.)
On the subject of Robert Downey Jr., I would also recommend The Pick Up Artist, Tropic Thunder, Iron Man, Zodiac, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and Wonder Boys.

I liked Debbie Reynolds in The Tender Trap. Not as much as I like her in some of her other movies, but I didn't think she was wrong for the part.

Are you watching it now? (It sounds like you may not have gotten to the end yet.)
I liked Reynolds in The Tender Trap, but she had NO chemistry with Sinatra.