Guaporense and Zotis Review Animation

→ in
Tools    

Perhaps you misunderstand me. I'm not criticising content here. I'm talking about the plot. The plot was unrealistic in the sense that they do what they want to do, and they don't portray events unfolding the way they would actually unfold if they were real. The way realism in fantasy/sci-fi/fiction works is you portray your fictional component as close as you can to how it would operate if it existed. So, if there was a space fleet, and academies of mecha pilots, would they be teenagers, or would they be adults? If the two best pilots in the country were selected to go to the war fleet, would it be likely that the two best pilots in the country be teenagers, or adults? If you look at the closest example in real life, it would be fighter pilots. Teenagers at cadet camp train in flight simulators, but the professional pilots in the air force who actually are Ace pilots, are all adults. A teenager might excel at something like a video game, over an adult, maybe ten years ago. Nowadays though that isn't the case anymore. Adults play video games and over 90% of the best players in the world are adults who have been playing since they were teenagers. I'm not saying that the movie should have been as realistic as reality. But it was very far from portraying it's subject matter in a believable way. Which is fine. It's not that serious of a movie (or series technically). But I consider it a flaw unless it's done in a very intentional way, and I didn't get that impression. To me it seemed like they wanted to do what they wanted to do. There was no deeper meaning to it being unrealistic. It didn't carry some inner criticism or satire that I could detect in the way it portrayed things unrealistically.

See, the way I look at it, the content is that there are two teenagers who are the best mech a pilots in Japan, and they study at an high-school level mecha academy. That's fine. But how that content is presented is where realism in a qualitative sense separate from the content itself comes into play. There should also have been adult academies, and they should have demonstrated why these teenagers were better than adult pilots. Instead they took their premise completely for granted. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the anime was bad at all. It was good. I'm just saying that those things hold it back, in my opinion, from being exceptional.
I see. It's the same kind of criticism you made of Mad Max 4. But I personally don't actually care about realism if the movie works. In this case, realism is obviously completely ignored, the idea is to have cute girls in the plot, so they had to assume that cute girls were the best pilots Japan had to offer.

I make those criticisms of a lot of movies. I'm not the kind of person who likes suspending disbelief. Unlike Mad Max 4 though, Gunbuster was actually a good because it still had a lot of character, charm, and meaningful content.

Ocean Waves (1993)
Directed by Tomomi Mochizuki

I've heard that Ocean Waves, or I Can Hear the Sea as the original Japanese title would actually be translated, didn't do well commercially. It went over budget and didn't make enough money. Personally I thought it was very well made and an intriguing tale. The story is romantic at heart, but told through hardships. There are slice-of-life elements, but most importantly the plot delves into deeper meaningful aspects of life that the characters struggle through. The animation quality is quite good with plenty of detail and motion. The drawing style is mature and realistic which appeals to me. I'm kind of sad that this film didn't do better commercially because it really is quite a potent film and well made.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
It's a direct sequel, so I would recommend watching the first one first.
thanks, I'm actually in the third episode as I type; it's rather good. Decent pacing, amusing characters and very good artwork.

Ocean Waves (1993)
Directed by Tomomi Mochizuki

I've heard that Ocean Waves, or I Can Hear the Sea as the original Japanese title would actually be translated, didn't do well commercially. It went over budget and didn't make enough money. Personally I thought it was very well made and an intriguing tale. The story is romantic at heart, but told through hardships. There are slice-of-life elements, but most importantly the plot delves into deeper meaningful aspects of life that the characters struggle through. The animation quality is quite good with plenty of detail and motion. The drawing style is mature and realistic which appeals to me. I'm kind of sad that this film didn't do better commercially because it really is quite a potent film and well made.

That's an overlooked gem from the peak of ghibli, when the studio was making one masterpiece after another in the late 80's and early 90's. Interestingly this film was made for TV to just keep Ghibli's employees working, it wasnt sup posed to be anything good..

thanks, I'm actually in the third episode as I type; it's rather good. Decent pacing, amusing characters and very good artwork.
I haven't seen the series yet myself, only the first two movies. The first movie was made in '89, the second in '93, the third in '02, and the series in '14. I look forward to the third movie and the series. Personally I prefer watching things in the order they're made, but that's just me.
That's an overlooked gem from the peak of ghibli, when the studio was making one masterpiece after another in the late 80's and early 90's. Interestingly this film was made for TV to just keep Ghibli's employees working, it wasnt sup posed to be anything good..
It seemed to have not done very well, and I've heard a lot of negative things about it from various critics and blog reviews. I've only heard a few people praise it. I for one think it's fantastic, and I'm really sad that it doesn't get the praise it deserves. I've seen several video rental stores with Studio Ghibli sections, but they never have Ocean Waves.

Ping Pong the Animation (2014)

Superbly drawn and animated, Ping Pong was a visual delight. The story and characters were equally thrilling. I was enthralled the entire time. After each episode I couldn't wait to watch the next. I took a couple breaks watching the series over three days. The story revolved around a kid nicknamed Smile, a bit of a loner who wore glasses, and his best friend Peco. The two of them were extremely talented Ping Pong players and best friends. They'd played together since they were kids, but now in high-school the game was getting more competitive and serious. I found myself invested in the story, but also inspired to strive harder to achieve greatness in my own life at something. To put in the ball busting hard work it requires to train tirelessly, and to give every ounce of effort I possibly could to fulfil my dreams. That's what the story was really about. Besides the story though, the animation is really worth talking about. Every character is distinctly drawn, and from an absurd amount of angles. Instead of your typical cliche mainstream anime type characters with that traditional facial structure, you know... triangle for a nose, huge eyes, pointy chin, and you can only tell the characters apart by their hairstyles... this was nothing like that. It wasn't even comparable. It was like it's own genre of animation. It also didn't have that phoney polish. Instead of worrying about making every line perfectly straight, they just drew the hell out of everything! So you can notice a lot of rigid, crooked, sometimes even messed up lines, but at the same time there was so much distinction to the way individual faces looked, and other objects for that matter. When the characters would play the camera would follow insane trajectories giving you really unusual angles to observe the situation from, and they weren't shy about distorting reality for the sake of dramatic effect either. So you might see a character sprinting for five seconds just to make it to the other corner of their side of the table, just to exaggerate how intensely they sprinted to the other side to catch the ball. It was quite a joy for my eyes to behold. I even found myself watching the intro credits every time because the intro was so interesting and well drawn. There's a reason why some people say this is the greatest anime of all time. I would love to add this to my personal collection, if/when I can find it. One of my favorite parts in the series was when Peco explained Smile's nickname. Smile was known for never smiling, and people called him a robot. But Peco said he didn't call him Smile because he never smiled. He called him smile because he smiled so much when he played ping pong when they were kids.

Glad you liked it so much. It's indeed a masterpiece and the best animation of the past several years.

I also notice many similarities in theme between Ping Pong and PMMM: both series are about dealing with life, reality and your dreams. Though PMMM opts for a more conventional art style. Though still quite distinct from other series it's not as radical as Ping Pong, which basically is a style into itself.

I was kinda shocked when I found out Ping Pong was so recent. I have heard about it for so long, but I guess I must have been hearing about the manga.

I think PMMM was more intense emotionally, and had a more traditional flow to it's story, but Ping Pong tended to jump around a lot as it developed its characters backstories. It was all over the place visually and plot-wise. I liked Ping Pong more, but both were good.

43) Inside Out (2015)

This is a very important movie for mainstream American animation. In some ways it's the first Hollywood mainstream animated film with actual explicit focus on the psychological and being more introspective than any other American animations I ever watched. In the tradition of good anime even.

However, it is still very traditional Pixar movie in the way it's executed. It's very entertaining and constantly tries to grab your attention like a rollercoaster ride, like any other contemporary big budget blockbuster. We will probably never see from Hollywood another serious blockbuster film like 2001 (which was the highest grossing film in that year). Reason is that modern filmmakers have perfected mainstream entertainment to a point where more serious film cannot survive in the jungle of the multiplexes. Though it's still possible to mix into the mainstream entertainment mix deeper thematic stuff like Inside Out does, it indeed improved significantly my own impression of the state of Pixar and the potential of American animation in general.

I also should point out that while it's more mature in many ways it still is a film that is "child safe", in the sense that it doesn't push any emotional boundaries (in violent, sexual or being emotionally very intense, unlike for instance, Princess Mononoke or PMMM) and instead works as a sophisticated but still quite conservative blockbuster film.

I'm not sure if I would call it child safe. A child can watch it because there's nothing bad for them, sure, but it's definitely not made for small children. I think it's intended for adolescents going through puberty, like the main character, in the 9-12 range. Maybe some bright kids can understand concepts of confusing and lost emotions, but not in a way that they can really connect with. It's kind of like Toy Story 3, which has the fuzzy exterior of a kids movie but I would say is made for teenagers because you can't really get the concepts presented until you actually forget your childhood.

My point is that it was a children's safe movie. Not that it was a "children's movie". Also, the term children movie is problematic because it assumes children are stupid, but in fact, children over the age of 10 are as smart as adults if not smarter. Simplistic children's animated films are an insult to the children's intelligence.

It was a pretty sophisticated film that still is child safe. Hence, a film that does not insult children's intelligence. However, it's not an adult film because it doesn't go to the extremes that adult stuff does. What I mean is that it for example doesn't have any of the extreme aggression that animation for adults has, like Akira or GitS. I don't think that there are many adult animated features in existence. Most Japanese animated films are aimed at teenagers though they have way more sex and violence than any mainstream animated movies have.

My point is that it was a children's safe movie. Not that it was a "children's movie". Also, the term children movie is problematic because it assumes children are stupid, but in fact, children over the age of 10 are as smart as adults if not smarter. Simplistic children's animated films are an insult to the children's intelligence.

It was a pretty sophisticated film that still is child safe. Hence, a film that does not insult children's intelligence. However, it's not an adult film because it doesn't go to the extremes that adult stuff does. What I mean is that it for example doesn't have any of the extreme aggression that animation for adults has, like Akira or GitS. I don't think that there are many adult animated features in existence. Most Japanese animated films are aimed at teenagers though they have way more sex and violence than any mainstream animated movies have.
I'm a huge promoter of team don't talk down to kids because it insults their intelligence, but my point was that movies about a life experience that everybody goes through are only powerful when you've been through the experience. I don't know who to blame for the state of American animation, but I agree that it's terrible. Everybody only plays to extremes. It's either stuff for kids or super vulgar and sex joke stuff (South Park, Family Guy, Rogen), and that latter one isn't any more mature than the former.

Knights of Sidonia (Season 2) (2015) Action/Sci-fi
Directed by Seshita Hiroyuki

First of all I will say that my memory is a little foggy. I may have been a bit intoxicated while watching it, and it was a few weeks ago. My distinct impression was that I didn't like it quite as much as the first season, but it was still really good. It was a bit less intense in regards to characters dying, and I think just the overall dynamics of everything going on were a little more interesting. It seemed to mellow out a bit. This season the Sidonia (which is a giant space fortress inhabited by the last remnant of Humanity) goes on the offensive taking the fight to the Guana (the giant alien space monsters that have been relentlessly trying to make the Human race extinct). I'm definitely going to have to give the whole series a re-watch at some point.

Aquatine Hunger Force (Season 5) (2008) Comedy
Directed by Dave Willis and Matt Maiellaro

According to Wikipedia the two directors are the original creators and have written and directed every episode. Anyway, this show is hilarious. It's considerably crude, and pretty weird. Some of my friends have randomly seen an episode on TV and just thought it was crap and turned it off. But other people, like myself, love it. It's all about a milk shake, fries, and meat patty who are alive and have crazy adventures.

I am reading the manga for Knights of Sidonia. It's a very good manga, even won the Kodansha prize for manga of the year this year. It's not among my top favorites but I assume it's way superior to the TV series adaptation (as it's usual, the adaptations made of the best novels/mangas are always inferior).

I have watched several animated films, OVAs and series since I posted my last review but I haven't had the energy to write anything about'en.

Which ones did you watch Guap, and what would you rate them? How about that instead of reviews? I'm just actually curious if any of them were good.

Oh yeah, there is a series that's currently airing that I've seen all the available episodes for so far.

One Punch Man

It's pretty funny, and I think it's well done. I definitely noticed at some points that the drawing style and animation were really good, but at other times I noticed that they were only average, so I think it fluctuates a bit.

It's about a guy who does strength training for three years and becomes the strongest person in the world. He's able to kill anything with a single punch, and so he gets bored with fighting. No one really knows how he got to be that strong though since all he did was normal strength training. So far I'd rate it
because it actually is so funny that I was hooked and watched all 6 of the available episodes in one day.

Which ones did you watch Guap, and what would you rate them? How about that instead of reviews? I'm just actually curious if any of them were good.
The series Charlotte was pretty good. Also watched Patlabor 2 again for the HOF which is a classic. And a Space Battleship Yamato film from 2014 which is also pretty good but not quite great. I am also watching the 2003 Ghost in the Shell series, which is pretty good but not great.

Paprika
(2006) Mystery/Sci-fi/Thriller
Directed by Satoshi Kon
Written by Satoshi Kon and Seishi Minakami
Based on the novel by Yasutaka Tsutsui

The first time I watched this was years ago, and I wasn't sober. I had the impression it was okay, but not all that great. Well, I saw it pretty cheep second hand so I bought it. I think the 'dream parade' is kind of a rip off of Robot Carnival, but other than that I don't see any major flaws. It's actually a really good movie with an exceptional amount of motion in the animation, and I really like the drawing style. The mystery elements have significant depth, and the characters are well developed. The whole concept of dreams invading reality, and the way they explore the nature of reality and the nature of the dream world is intense and thoroughly thought out. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would judging by my earlier impression.