Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Okay, so a friend of mine *loves* this movie and we sat down and watched it. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Sure, I didn't love it or anything but it turned out to be a fun sonuvabitch of a movie.
Yeah personally I wasn't impressed by it, didn't really find much of the jokes funny. Come to think of it, I haven't found any of Seth McFarlane's live action comedies to be any good.

Hitchcock- 8/10 Acting, story, and many other things were good, but a little to funny and cheesy at times.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Buffalo '66 - 8/10

Very good low-budget independent movie. A guy has been in jail for 5 years, and the movie starts with him getting out. That's all you need to know - it's very, very good.

Yeah personally I wasn't impressed by it, didn't really find much of the jokes funny. Come to think of it, I haven't found any of Seth McFarlane's live action comedies to be any good.
I'm not impressed by that obvious beer photoshop either.

Buffalo '66 - 8/10

Very good low-budget independent movie. A guy has been in jail for 5 years, and the movie starts with him getting out. That's all you need to know - it's very, very good.

He's so dirty and creepy looking, he makes me want to hurl every single time I see his face. He ruined Chloe Sevigny for me.

The Visit (2015)

M. Night is back, bitches. Sure, there's a twist of sorts and the little brother's arc is very similar to Joaquin Phoenix's from Signs, but this is a good stuff. Found footage horror and the Blumhouse distribution might test your gag reflexes historically, but this is a ringer. The movie is at least self aware enough about the pseudo documentary style to have the girl act as a sort of mouthpiece for the director in a tongue in cheek way. Stuff like the hide-n-seek segment really took advantage of the POV in a scary and interesting way. The mains are likeable and feel like real kids instead of a 50 year old Indian guy writing lines for two Hollywood brats. I was very impressed by just how dark it gets. I wasn't expecting that at all.

Sure, I guessed the reveal early on. Sure, I hated the rap subplot. Those few gripes didn't dampen my overall experience. I feared that M. Night was getting patronized for making something passable after all of these years, but my worries are gone. Let the Shyamalaissance begin.

WARNING: spoilers below
I thought it was very clever the way M Night threw in a second reveal. After realizing these were escaped mental patients, he leaves the fate of the real grandparents in the air. He even uses the ****** diapers as a red herring to make you think they might be alive. The moment the grandpa ***** himself during Yatzee, you realize they're dead a few moments before the teenage girl. Pretty cool. I imagine a lot of people caught that, but it's worth pointing out anyway.

http://boxd.it/9ssO

No Escape (2015)

+

Owen Wilson moves his wife and two young daughters to an Asian city to start a new career. At the airport they meet Pierce Brosnan's character; a man whose reasons for being there are unclear, but you know he's not there for the culture. While at the hotel, the family realizes there's no phone, TV, or Internet service, so daddy takes a walk in search of a newspaper. He finds himself literally in the middle of a violent civil uprising, so he bops his way back to the hotel to protect his family. The hotel becomes under siege, so the family is on the run for the remainder of the movie.

I thought the first half of this movie, up until the family escapes the hotel, was very suspenseful. A normal family in jeopardy is nothing especially original, but it had me involved and gave me a clear rooting interest. The second half, with the family sometimes needing to take a more offensive approach, and the reemergence of Brosnan's character, become more of a standard action flick. The performances are what you would expect from a movie like this-adequate. I enjoyed it, and I'd say it's worth watching for a not so demanding viewer.

Ted was fine. I'd actually go as far to say it is the best thing Seth has ever done! American Dad was good at one point, but Seth had next to nothing to do with that he was involved with the first season a bit and he provides voices but it is not his show.

Beneath Hill 60 (2010)

I love these kind of war films. The filmmakers take an extraordinary true story from the First World War and turn it into a tense and entertaining movie which also brings across a message of remembrance and respect. It probably should have more international recognition but struggles to get it as it is an Australian production.
I would give it 8.5/10.

Maze Runner: Scorch Trials - 6.5

Metal: A Headbanger's Journey (2005)

Recommended from The Gunslinger. Really nice one although I dislike the attention they gave to Slipknot which is not considered a metal band by most metalheads also when hearing their opinions they sounded just like they were aflicted with teenager angs and were oblivious about the artistic nature of metal. However, interviews with Bruce, Norwegian Black metal bands, Slayer and Dio made this documentary a winner.

Welcome to the human race...
Really nice one although I dislike the attention they gave to Slipknot which is not considered a metal band by most metalheads also when hearing their opinions they sounded just like they were aflicted with teenager angs and were oblivious about the artistic nature of metal.
I definitely don't like Slipknot - tried giving their self-titled a go a while back and found it pretty hard to tolerate - but I figure that putting them into an entry-level documentary like Metal: A Headbanger's Journey makes some degree of sense, like it's Dunn's way of providing balance against not just members of the old guard like Iron Maiden and Dio but also against the more off-putting extremists like Varg or Gaahl. Regardless of whether or not they count as "tr00 metal" or the weakness in their opinions, they definitely needed to be included as an example of what kind of metal is popular these days.

Speaking of which, have you ever seen The Decline of Western Civilisation Part II: The Metal Years? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

Lola (1961)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Once

Creed

In the Heart of the Sea

Spectre

Edgar Allan Poe

Man with a Movie Camera (1929)

My best guess would be to call this a Russian experimental documentary silent film. The director basically films everyday ordinary life, from a woman giving birth and an injured man being transported by ambulance, to a woman getting her hair washed and people working. The classical music soundtrack is spectacular, helping to not only keep the film lively, but also creating a sort of build-up. There are many incredible shots in the movie, and they seem to get more impressive as you get deeper into it's brisk 68 minute runtime. The director also gets into what I guess you would call the earliest of special effects; slow motion, split screen, and things like that. The ending, with a suddenly quick pace and that music pumping at full speed, had my heart racing. No story or narration would normally spell doom for me, but I can't help but feel like I watched a significant piece of film history. It's on YouTube.

I definitely don't like Slipknot - tried giving their self-titled a go a while back and found it pretty hard to tolerate - but I figure that putting them into an entry-level documentary like Metal: A Headbanger's Journey makes some degree of sense, like it's Dunn's way of providing balance against not just members of the old guard like Iron Maiden and Dio but also against the more off-putting extremists like Varg or Gaahl. Regardless of whether or not they count as "tr00 metal" or the weakness in their opinions, they definitely needed to be included as an example of what kind of metal is popular these days.
But they are not metal. Nirvana is closer to metal than Slipknot as well as being more popular, well, the difference is perhaps that the guys from Slipknot explicitly claim to be metal, but to my ears that is not metal as well as for people who are into metal (metal archives does not list Slipknot there, Kai Hansen and other European or South American metal musicians also don't regard any of those American bands like Slipknot as metal).

They should have interviewed more European bands like Candlemass, Hellhammer and Helloween, as they said the biggest metal community in the world is in continental Europe around Germany but they didn't interview a lot of those bands. Still that was the best part of the documentary.

Speaking of which, have you ever seen The Decline of Western Civilisation Part II: The Metal Years? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it.
I haven't but I plan to watch that, I am binge watching documentaries these days.

Videogames are a fastly developing artform and its interesting to watch a documentary about the medium but this one is really silly, dumb and amateurish in the way its executed. But still an aggressive statement for the love for the videogame culture.