Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I honestly thought Antman was going to be Marvels Dare Devil. So, i'm glad that I gave it a shot because I had to watch it twice. I'd give it a 7.9.

I continue to watch some of the Noir DVDs I have not seen yet and I get another home run. A gripping whodunit that keeps you guessing until the end. Highly recommended.

That's a really good movie. Your post threw me for a second though, since I've always known that movie as I Wake Up Screaming.

ETA: I should probably read other posts before replying. Ha!

I have to return some videotapes.

The Phantom Menace

That sucked. Outside of the Darth Maul fight it was so damn cheesy and it didn't feel like it took itself seriously at all. Before this last watch I used to think Jar Jar wasn't that bad.... I was painfully mistaken.

SpaceCamp (1986)

Decided to revisit this film since it was one of my childhood favorites. Now that I'm older, it's a pretty silly movie with a weak script, bad acting, and a lot of clichés. On the bright side, it does have a fairly good musical score by John Williams.

Haven't posted in forever, so here's what I watched/remember watching :

Taken
Pierre Morel
Entertaining movie, but I really expected more with all the good feedback I've heard about it. The acting was okay, but the ending... can you make anything cheesier ? I thought I was watching a movie directed by Pierre Morel, not by Kraft.
+

Taken 2
Olivier Megaton
I seriously thought the sequel of the Taken series would bring something more to the table. Turns out it really didn't. I mean, it's pretty entertaining and fun to watch, but the script is just a copy-paste of the first installment. The ending is really predictable too. Even if I enjoyed watching it, I can't say it was a good movie.

Circle
Aaron Hann & Mario Miscione
I stumbled upon this indie film while browsing Netflix and I seriously didn't expect much. However, I must admit that even if the budget for this movie was clearly low, the directors did something pretty interesting with it. The storyline is original, and I definitely didn't expect the ending. Even if the special effects were not amazing and the acting was okay, I still had a lot of fun watching this movie.
+

Ex Machina
Alex Garland
Sometimes, a movie you didn't even want to watch ends up being something you want to rewatch as soon as the credits roll. And Ex Machina definitely falls into that category. First of all, I immediately fell in love with the director's way of telling a story, as he starts the movie the way you start a dream : as if you jumped right in the middle of it, without knowing what happened earlier on. The acting was also superb, and the storyline really original. I particularly loved the ending, even if I would have ended the movie 5 minutes earlier. Overall, this is an amazing movie, and one that I certainly will re-watch really soon.

Comet
Sam Esmail
This is another movie I watched after stumbling upon it on Netflix. Once again, I didn't expect anything at all from this movie, but was left pretty impressed with what the director accomplished in it. Even if the storyline is particularly simple, the way it is told makes it full and unique. The ending is also very interesting and leaves the viewer with a lot of questions, something I always enjoy in cinema. The acting is also pretty good.
+

Welcome to the human race...
Trading Places -

Didn't get any laughs out of me and is probably a bit too long for its own good, but still oddly enjoyable despite that.

Finished here. It's been fun.

The Village
-

One of the most conscient and poetic films of the 21st century. Such a genuine and sincere film. Beautiful.

The Village
-

One of the most conscient and poetic films of the 21st century. Such a genuine and sincere film. Beautiful.
I need a rewatch because of you! Tomorrow night for sure

The Village
-

Honestly wasn't expecting that and kind of cool that you rate it so highly. I would have agreed with you a long time ago. Not sure how I feel now, but hopefully I'd still dig it.

Brick (2005)

Excellent film noir that is unique in that it's set among a group of high school students. Brendan (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) hears that his ex-girlfriend is in trouble and when he approaches her she tells him to stay away. She
WARNING: spoilers below
ends up dead right after.
So Brendan involves himself by infiltrating the high school criminal underground, which immediately lands him in trouble. He mingles among many unsavory characters in his pursuit of the truth. He takes many beatings and applies a few of his own.

Gordon-Levitt is basically playing the detective role, Lukas Haas plays the heavy gangster-type named The Pin, Noah Fleiss is the enforcer-type muscle named Tugg, Matt O'Leary is Brendan's smart friend named, naturally, Brain, and beautiful Nora Zehetner plays the femme fatale role of Laura.

A truly great film, with unique hard-boiled detective-type dialogue all the way through that has its own life and is great to listen to. It's a murder mystery but so much more. The acting is great by all involved. See this one if you like to try different stuff.

The Lobster (2015)

A companion picture to the cult favorite Dogtooth (2009), Yorgos Lanthimos once again crafts an absurd, dystopian reality serving as social allegory, this time focusing on societal pressures on single people as well as the bizarre nature of dating/love when viewed through an animistic lens. Despite being the Greek director's English language debut, The Lobster (2015) defies the odds by wholy retaining his pitch black humor, surreal sensibilities, and emotional repression. The endless comparisons to the Coen Brothers, Wes Anderson, Charlie Kaufman etc. are easy to make and should be taken as a testament to the scale and execution of his unique vision.

http://boxd.it/7L1pj

Turbo Kid -

The movie that Kung Fury should have been.
Now this is interesting to me as the only person I saw who was excited was really let down by it. I look forward to your full review of it.