Underrated Sequels

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Halloween III was meant to be a new beginning! Carpenter hated writing Halloween 2 and wanted to end Michael's story. He had a concept to turn the franchise into a big screen Halloween themed horror franchise of different Halloween themed stories with ideas, plots, new villains and all that in each standalone sequel. It was gonna be like tales from the crypt, twilight zone, Are you Afraid of the Dark or Creepshow or Tales from the Darkside with this concept.
Yeah, I'm very aware of Carpenter's own intentions regarding the franchise and, given what I've seen of the other pre-reboot sequels, I'd probably have appreciated this approach more.

The Exorcist III is the first one that comes to mind. I like Godfather II, Aliens and Empire Strikes Back more than the originals but I wouldn't consider them underrated. The people I talk to usually like T2 more than The Terminator but I like the first one more.

Nightmare on Elm Street 3 is really underrated I think. While we're on the subject of 3's, Halloween III isn't great but I prefer it to II. Call me crazy.

What do you think of the concept in mind?

Nightmare on Elm Street 3 is really underrated I think.

I love Nightmare 3 but most people I know of like it a lot and it's a big fan favorite, not exactly underrated.

Here's an updated list from me:

Ghostbusters II
Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom
Predator 2
Iron Man 2
Thor: The Dark World
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Die Hard 2
Jaws 2
U.S. Marshals
Escape From L.A.
RoboCop 2
Batman Returns

I'm tempted to add Avengers: Age Of Ultron to the list but feel maybe it's too soon for now. It still has a pretty divisive reception among several.

Iron Man 2 is still a fun movie. I don't understand all the hate it got.

Iron Man 3 on the other hand.....

I'm tempted to add Avengers: Age Of Ultron to the list but feel maybe it's too soon for now. It still has a pretty divisive reception among several.
Second Avengers was good. It might appear bad when comparing with first Avengers which was great.

It wasn't as good as the first but it came close to matching it for me. In some ways it was better, Ultron was definitely a better villain, IMO.

Here's an updated list from me:

Ghostbusters II
Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom
Predator 2
Iron Man 2
Thor: The Dark World
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Die Hard 2
Jaws 2
U.S. Marshals
Escape From L.A.
RoboCop 2
Batman Returns

My updated list is largely the same as before with a few new additions. Here's a little comment I have for each movie:

Ghostbusters II - Always loved it as much as the first and never got the hate. Always watch both of them together.

Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom - Never kept my love for this one a secret. Always been my favorite of the series.

Predator 2 - I like this better than the first which is also a big favorite of mine. The urban setting, new Predator weapons and this particular Predator is my favorite one.

Avengers: Age Of Ultron - This one has had a mixed reception since release. I loved it and it came close to surpassing the original for me. Ultron was an entertaining villain.

Iron Man 2 - Not as good as the first but still entertaining and I liked seeing a slightly more frail side to Tony Stark.

Thor: The Dark World - I actually prefer it to the original which I still like.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park - Grown on me over the years. Not as good as the original but so much better than the third and fourth combined. Not without flaws but it entertains.

Die Hard 2 - Not as good as the original but not far off from it, either.

Jaws 2 - Same as Die Hard 2.

RoboCop 2 - Same as Die Hard 2 and Jaws 2. Falls short of the original but still entertains and RoboCain is all sorts of awesome.

U.S. Marshals - Another I controversially prefer to the original, which I love as well.

Escape From L.A. - I enjoy it as much as the epic Escape From New York. Dare I say I actually may like it a wee bit more?

Batman Returns - IMO the best of the pre-Nolan era Batman movies. I admit it hasn't aged overly well but it has some entertainment value and has nostalgia for me.

Independence Day: Resurgence - Not a classic but I found it to be a harmless and entertaining alien invasion movie. Don't get the lashing it got since release.

Fright Night Part II - Never enjoyed the same status as the 1985 original but it's just as entertaining. I might even like it a little better.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret Of The Ooze - Flawed, heavily toned down from the original and not nearly as good as it, but it gets more flack than deserved. Childhood nostalgia aside, I enjoy the Turtles' dynamics and the new addition of Tokka and Rahzar.

Basic Instinct 2's probably quite underrated. I think there were some clever ideas in it, and David Thewlis is brilliant as the policeman.

Scream 2
Halloween 4
The Dark Knight Rises, while still has decent reviews and a fanbase gets allot of flack for not being The Dark Knight.
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
I agree with Both Jaws 2 and The Lost World and would extend that to Jurassic Park III, that movie has some genuinely good to great sequences.

I am no fan of terms such as "under" or "overrated". It kind of gives me the impression of "your opinions about this movie are wrong".

I prefer to see it as movies I like that others don't, which I'm completely fine with.

That said, I don't think X-Men: The Last Stand was that bad. Sure, I like X2 far more, but to me it seemed like a good ending to the trilogy.
WARNING: spoilers below
Cyclops death didn't bother me, it was a full-scale war, of course there would be losses. Charles didn't really die, as you can see at the end of the movie. The ending in which Magneto became that which he despised I really liked, such a tragic irony.

I thought X-Men Apocalypse was pretty good as well, though that one is more liked in general than X3.

Also, Ghostbusters 2 I don't think is that bad. Not as good as the original, but a solid sequel.