Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Super 8

Overall, I was glad the crash scene was at the beginning since I had already seen it.

It's a good movie and I was surprised by some elements that it didn't follow like the other monster/alien-thriller movies that include kids.

Basically this movie is about an underground...(?) alien who wants to build his spaceship back and go home. You'd usually think: "It's gonna be like E.T. and they (the kids) are gonna help him build the spaceship back. Well you're wrong. They barely meet the alien and
WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
they almost get eaten by it (for 2 of them).

We also barely see the alien as itself in broad daylight. It's always hidden by darkness or is only given glimpses of, which serves up more tension.

This movie entertained me and I thought it was a good concept to do a movie with kids + alien + action + thriller without shaky cam or found footage.

There are still some flaws and, yes, a LOT of flares (even though not as much as in Star Trek), but still, Imma give it a

Hot Shots: Part Deux

Overall, I died laughing. It is, in my opinion, the funniest movie parody I have ever seen, although I haven't seen the original one.

There is no way of taking this movie seriously and I think has to be viewed without the criticizing eye. It's just plain fun. This movie is in fact a ½-hour long collection of every action movie cliché and 1 hour of parodies of it.

I enjoyed the movie a lot and is listed in one of my favorite "funny" movies (I don't consider it a comedy since it's not the actor's words that make you laugh but the ridiculousness of the actions).

As I said, there's no point of seeing this movie with the critics' eye, so I give it a
of pure entertainment.

The Last Stand

Overall, surprising. I saw the 6.4 IMDb rating and kinda regretted having bought it. I watched, and I felt a whole lot different.

Certainly enough, there were some stupid elements, like
when the deputies go look for an old man that was killed only because the man hadn't done the milk delivery
and
the fact that the car with the prisoner was hijacked with a magnet-equipped crane in the middle of the town where there wasn't even work/repair to do in the building the crane was placed.
You have to admit it's pretty dumb.

However, the gunfight sequences were masterfully crafted. Using practical fake-blood in a lot of occasions and not having so much hard-editing...until the final fight. I found the final one the most disappointing since it's filled with unrealistic CGI and really HARD editing. I gave me a headache.

Still the movie pleased me and I think is quite underrated for an action film. Imma give it a

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Wrecked

(Michael Greenspan)

Brody's one man show

A man wakes up, badly injured, in a horrible car accident in the middle of the wilderness. There's a dead body in the backseat and he has no memory of who he is, or what happened. He struggles to survive the harsh elements of the wild and his own hallucinations.

This being a Canadian thriller, one can automatically accept the idea that it is low budget. This was clearly written with that in mind. The film itself has very little dialogue, very little action and relies heavily on the shoulders of the one character, played by Adrien Brody. The entire film is Brody trying to survive not only his own injuries, but the elements outside of his car. Wild animals, hunters and in many scenes, his own broken mind. Reportedly, he decided to stay in the car wreck over night in the Canadian wilderness while the crew went back to their warm and cozy hotel rooms. That dedication shows on the screen, Brody does carry the film. The film just doesn't match what Brody delivers.

There is a mystery in this film, but it never really feels compelled or driven by any of it. It's more concerned with the survival elements. Which really don't do much to keep the viewer on the edge of their seat. The entire production feels like it could really be a short story, but was dragged out into a feature for unknown reasons. By the end of the film, we know who he is, who the dead guy in his back seat was and what really did happen, but it never reaches any point of interest to be honest. I just didn't care about any of it.

Small film with a simple story, Wrecked will entertain very few people looking for either a mystery or a survival tale. Despite having both elements be key parts of the film, it never fully realizes what it wants to be. So the end results in an uneven film that won't find its place on anyone's radar.

Suspect's Reviews

Madness is the emergency exit…
III (2015)

A Russian horror-drama. Though at times it was kind of like watching Tarsem Singh's Silent Hill (!) but nothing that great either actually. The ending was the major disappointment.

--: 6/10

Landmine Goes Click (2015)

An okay rape & revenge flick, liked the ending.

--: 6/10

Extraordinary Tales (2015)

A beautifully done animated anthology of 5 Poe stories....The Fall of the House of Usher (Narrated & voice by Sir Christopher Lee), The Tell-Tale Heart (Narrated by Bela Lugosi), The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar (Narrated & voice by Julian Sands), The Pit and the Pendulum (Narrated by Guillermo del Toro) and The Masque of Red Death. Even the wraparound story, inspired by The Raven was also delight to watch.

--: 7/10

Unregistered User
My Best Friend (1999) -
+
Yellow Sky (1948) -
+
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949) -
+
Prince Of Darkness (1987) -

Mean Creek (2004) -

Anastasia (1997) -

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: 4/10 - Mediocre film with bad acting and dialogue, but the feudal Japan costumes are decent and the martial arts was a major improvement over the first two films. If I had to pick a favorite from the trilogy, it would be this one.

Blissfully Oblivious
The Devil's Advocate

This one aged well. Al Pacino is incredibly entertaining. Charlize Theron shows amazing range way before she became a big name. Keanu Reeves worked well in his last serious role before The Matrix gobbled him up. The story is genuinely compelling and is actually more enjoyable with multiple viewings once realized what the focused theme and plot really is. The subplots strengthen the main storyline. Nothing feels wasted. Part of the ending feels like it goes longer than it should but that's a small nitpick compared to the rest of the movie. Just really well done on multiple levels and I knew there were more reasons why I loved this movie after all these years other than getting to see Charlize Theron naked (even though that scene is actually really disturbing and sad and I should get my head checked).

Broken Arrow

Started off really strong but I got extremely bored in the second half. Turned it off with 20 minutes left.
I've seen this movie before like 20 years ago or whenever it came out.

The Searchers (1956)

Sorry Ford fans. Here arriving at my second Ford feature, his movies still don't do much to me as of yet...

Mainly I think the tone in his movies are a bit off-putting and despite people talking about subtle greatness and an endless amount of depth I still see it being too surfaced and missing some proper weight.

To end on a positive note, the opening and closing shots are great.

-

Finished here. It's been fun.
[center]The Searchers (1956)

Sorry Ford fans. Here arriving at my second Ford feature, his movies still don't do much to me...
Really? My apologies if I sound rude, but how can you judge a director by only viewing two of his films? Come back and view How Green Was My Valley, Seven Women, Young Mr. Lincoln, Wagon Master or The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

I don't think Ford is infallible - I don't think too highly of Judge Priest or The Quiet Man. Still, no other director in film history has created as many great films as Ford did. I agree that the humor in his films is somewhat broad, but that's such a minor qualm, in all honesty.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I agree. It's all those shots in between that are the problem.
Boooooooo!

Yeah, what other film have you seen? Was it Stagecoach? I can't remember sorry.

I can understand someone struggling with The Searchers but you shouldn't feel so pessimistic about a director after only two viewings. I think a lot of people jump in and watch The Searchers expecting to be blown away by an obvious masterpiece, but are left underwhelmed. I thought it was a great film when I first saw it, but couldn't really explain much beyond the beautiful cinematography (and the fact that I already loved Westerns as a genre helped), but when I saw it again more recently I realised that true magic and poetry behind it. I think the film has great meaning and is more powerful when viewed in the context of Ford's whole body of work, especially the myth-making earlier stuff (Stagecoach, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Sun Shines Bright etc.), I think it feels like a swansong in some ways in how it combines those elements and the analytical side of it legendary storytelling too (Liberty Valance, Two Rode Together, Fort Apache etc.), along with how it is shot and feels in general like an "epic".

Candy (2006)

Not quite great, but a very good movie about drug addiction. When done well, it's a subject that always makes me feel something. Excellent performances from Heath Ledger, Abbie Cornish, and Geoffrey Rush.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Wizard of Oz
caught this a few minutes in on TV last night. A favorite from childhood

Beyond The Sea
Kevin Spacey starred and directed this lil amusing biopic of Bobby Darrin that tipped its hat to old hollywood style moviemaking.

Riptide (1934)
++ Quite the delightful flick with an always enjoyable Norma Shearer getting caught up in a scandal with a former boyfriend played by Robert Montgomery. All to the chagrin of straight-laced husband; Herbert Marshall. Witty dialogue