Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Oculus (2013) - Mike Flanagan

This was, rather, a welcome break and a breath of fresh air...it's always good to find a horror flick that has something new to offer...it is possible to find one or two loopholes in the plot but in the end they don't really matter that much...it might have something to do with fact that it ends well...

8 out of 10

Oh, you did watch Saw! That's awesome, roy. I give it the same rating, so I can't disagree on that.

And man am I glad to see you really liked Oculus! That movie is so underrated and one of my favorite modern horrors.

And man am I glad to see you really liked Oculus! That movie is so underrated and one of my favorite modern horrors.
One of the best horrors of the last five years. And I'm not just saying that because I have a crush on Karen Gillan.

Finished here. It's been fun.

The Big Sleep

+

All the great noir elements are here: Bogey being Bogey, a strong atmosphere, ice-cold dames, shady characters, and a whole lot of razor sharp one-liners.

One problem though...my Blu-Ray player kept freezing.

I enjoyed the film a lot, I just need to see it again without any interruptions. Every 15-minutes the disc froze and I had to power off the system and rewind. Hella frustrating.

Spy (2015)

I just can't do these American comedies, especially not Paul Feig's work. There's a few I like (21, 22 Jump Street, Superbad), but they all have the same problems though some handle it better than others. The main problem I have with American comedy is the fact that they always drag the jokes further than an old man's balls hanging to the floor, further than a d*ck up your tight ass you little whiney bitch, further than uranus which means your anus if you get that you limp d*ck motherf*cker c*nt bitch, you got that mr wise guy I-look-like-I-came-out-a-90-year-old-womans-vegina aka bug ass idiot you know who I am god damn bullsh*t fagg*t I f*** your mother bitch... Uh, you get the point now I hope.

It's just not funny to hear a joke told in 5 different ways in what seems like five different takes which should have been outtakes but somehow ended up in the movie. It's like the director just let his actors and actresses go and made a movie out of on-the-spot humor. Well, of course there are some good jokes in here and I did laugh, but the movie is also way too long for a comedy relying on dragged out jokes and titty humor... This is just not good enough. It's lazy and uninspired and I'd much rather watch a British comedy with intelligent writing that actually sounds like they tried.

But I'm not going to give this a totally hate rating, since I did enjoy at least 1/3 of it and there was some action to entertain as well. But this was a disappointment to me, because it looked pretty good in the trailers. But so did many of Feig's movies and I always end up disliking them. And Melissa McCarthney... I don't hate her, I see a lot of potential in her comedy to be honest, but she can also be annoying and I bet she would be brillant with the right material.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Two For The Road - 7/10

So many 60's films waste time on style, jump-cuts, playing with continuity, being cute, when simple any narrative with great writing is great enough. Drags on at times, but a good film on different levels of the same relationship. Shows that love is fickle, and that perhaps traditional social mores kept people repressed and living a lie. Shows the illusion of marriage and relationships in general, how sex is the primary target, and the rest is an excuse, killing time, pretending they're happy in-between sex.

I noticed the music to "The Way We Were" sounds very much like the theme song to this film.

It's like the director just let his actors and actresses go and made a movie out of on-the-spot humor.
Isn't that Judd Apatow?

I think they're all copying him, though. From what (little) I know, that is actually what he does. Lots of improv and ad-libs.

I think they're all copying him, though. From what (little) I know, that is actually what he does. Lots of improve and ad-libs.
Yeah, he has done it for years too and made 40 year old virgin.

Actually, he is also the only one who have made movies I enjoyed. Ad-libbing and improve can be great, but you need to use it right and have a solid script next to it too instead of relying on a script appearing out of the blue.

That's also why I think Seth Rogan became worse later on, when he departed from a director above him (which was Apatow for a long time) and chose to direct himself. He was missing control and planning and someone to tell him to move along or stick to the script.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I think they're all copying him, though. From what (little) I know, that is actually what he does. Lots of improve and ad-libs.
What's to copy? If someone is going to copy, go copy Robert Riskin, Robert Towne, Robert ________... I won't bother watching, but I see a trailer and it seems anything with the name "Sandler" or "Apatow" will make money. They all look like the same movie. I saw a few of them, and gosh they were awful.

I have to return some videotapes.

The Fighter: REWATCH

Christian Bale, man... no words. His performance was just amazing. I'd consider it a top 5 performance from him easily, and the best of 2010 (Renner in The Town was a very good one as well). Outside of his performance it's a very well done movie and one of my favorites.

A top 5 performance from Bale, Cole? Just curious what would the other four be? I personally would only have American Psycho ahead (possibly equal) of it.