Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Bridge Of Spies (2015)

Steven Speilberg and Tom Hanks team up again for this exciting and captivating Cold War drama based on real events.

I enjoyed the movie very much. It's easily one of the best films you will see in 2015.

I predict Academy Award nominations in the Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Supporting Actor (for Mark Rylance who is incredible as Russian spy Rudolf Abel) categories.

So you think if this thread was placed in "Games & Tabs" where "Movie Tab II" is, everybody's rep would shrink? And yes, they are the very same thing.
I think people would use one or the other still. Seems like movie tab became the place to post multiple films for some reason. I'm cool with both. I do forget to check the tab because people don't post there as much though.

"The Visit" REVIEW
WARNING BIG PLOT SPOILER ---- YOUVE BEEN WARNED

Well I have just watched "The visit" by m night shyamalan

and still disappointed in his supernatural movies, I absolute loved his first few movies like the sixth sense and unbreakable.
but since "The Village" it just the same and you can see a mile off whats coming.

back to the visit, (and spoilers,warned twice).

A mom sends her 2 kids to her parents house for a week on their own even though the Mom hasnt seen her parents for 15 years. (and the mom goes on a cruise)

so you send your 2 kids to your mom and pappas house that you havnt seen for 15 years? and you dont go with them? instead you go off on a cruise with your boyfriend! Really?

well actually im not going to spoil the rest for you but you will know that theres always a twist with his films and these days I think he has really got lazy and just trying to make money with his name. Could off been a good film but heres my score

4/10

Come On "m night shyamalan" You Can do better!!!!!! alot better.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think people would use one or the other still. Seems like movie tab became the place to post multiple films for some reason. I'm cool with both. I do forget to check the tab because people don't post there as much though.
That's probably because after my stroke, I started doing 20 ratings at a time because I couldn't type long reviews anymore. I've got about 2,000 posts in Movie Tab II, and I'm sure that several people have never looked in there. Post wherever you want, but there's some good stuff in Movie Tab. Here are two posts I made in there when I could actually type.
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2010) -
; Art House Rating:

Uncle Boonmee is just as fascinating as it is frustrating, but even if you find it slow-moving and difficult to grasp, it's episodic enough to come to a scene you will totally get in to, and it certainly expresses universal human emotions even while filtering them through a Thai cultural and historical perspective. Director Apichatpong Weerasethakul has degrees in architecture and film so his keen eye is apparent at all times. He's also something of a pop culture junkie who is well aware of most all of Thailand's TV and film history and intermingles that with his love of movies as diverse as Star Wars and La Jetee. However, he's a long way from Quentin Tarantino, even if he plays tricks with time and has the guts to basically make a G-rated film where a princess gets it on with a catfish.

The film begins rather slowly in the jungle following a buffalo getting stuck in the mud. It resembles a leisurely documentary or the equivalent of someone taking a hike in the forest to try to get away from it all. The movie does take you to a different world and culture so it will undoubtedly split audiences between those who find it a breathtaking work of art and those who think it's a fractured film looking for a story and wanting a faster pace. I'm probably in the middle somewhere. The next major scene reminded me of my vacations in New Zealand and Alaska where we rented a car and my daughter Sarah videotaped most of our trip from the backseat. This section in the car introduces Auntie Jen (Jenjira Pongpas) who is coming to visit her brother Boonmee (Thanapat Saisaymar)at his tamarind farm before he dies from kidney disease. The director does include many autobigraphical details since his own father died from kidney failure.

The film picks up with the introduction of Boonmee's dead wife's ghost appearing, followed shortly by his long-lost son turning up but he's been transformed into a "monkey ghost" who looks like a cross between a Jawa and a naked black Wookiee, both characters from Star Wars. I believe that Apichatpong knowingly made this character that way to reinforce the audience's perceptions on how seriously to take his fantasy. Although most of the movie seems deadly earnest, the monkey ghost and catfish scenes do show the director to have a playful side. The son's story about why and how he disappeared and changed is the film's highlight, at least until we come to the Princess/Waterfall scene. That scene, shot with a filter at a lush, beautiful waterfall which John Boorman would die for, moves the film into an even farther-out fantasy level and introduces a character which seems to have nothing to do with the rest of the film, unless you consider it one of Boonmee's past lives. There are some good old school F/X here too involving mirrors passing as reflections seen by the Princess in the lake. Needless to say, the Princess's hook-up with the catfish must be seen to be believed.

There are other beautiful and bizarre scenes but I don't want to take away the mysteries revealed and created as the film progresses to its inconclusive conclusion at a karaoke bar. But I will say that the scene inside the cave is really quite spectacular and reminded me of my trip to Carlsbad Caverns, but here the interior of the cave also sometimes resembles a starry night sky although it's the sparkly reflection of the cave's ceiling. Just when the film seems to come back to the "real world" with Uncle Boonmee's funeral, things get almost Lynchian in their weirdness. Auntie Jen acts like she barely knew Boonmee although we saw her share quality time with him throughout the entire film. Then Boonmee's medical assistant turns out to be a totally different character than we ever knew. To top it all off, some of the characters are able to see themselves doing other activities as if there are two of them "living" at the same time. This bright world away from the mysterious jungle turns out to be as bizarre as the world full of dead wives and monkey ghost sons. It certainly makes the Thai culture seem vibrantly alive; either that, or they're massively deluded, but who am I to say such a thing since it's normal for them.

As usual, some will have a problem with my rating. I watched it three times and will probably seek out some other films from this director. I'm sure that some here will love it while others will think it's boring and pretentious. I enjoy it the most by thinking of it as a cultural compendium of Thai history, family life and pop culture, being conducted by an expert with an artist's eye. What it lacks in cohesion and comprehension, it makes up for originality and strangeness. Besides, it's a nice way to take an exotic vacation without the hassle of planes and cars. To give you a taste, here's the trailer.

Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (John Sturges, 1957)
+

Sturges fashions Leon Uris's script into a taut, thinking-man's western with an exciting payoff in the title incident. Lancaster plays Wyatt Earp as something of an athletic saint but Douglas plays Doc Holliday full of self-loathing and self-destruction. The film is divided into two halves, the first where Earp is the marshal of Dodge City and the second where he quits to go help his brothers in their feud with the Clantons and McLowerys in Tombstone. The theme song by Frankie Laine sets everything up wonderfully over the opening credits and Dimitri Tiomkin's great music is an asset throughout, accenting the various tense incidents which fill out the movie. The supporting cast includes Rhonda Fleming as a lady gambler whom Earp romances and Jo Van Fleet as Doc's woman who runs off with Johnny Ringo (John Ireland) when Doc gets too ill from drink and TB. Other interesting casting choices include Dennis Hopper as Billy Clanton as well as DeForest Kelley (Bones on the original "Star Trek") and Martin Milner ("Adam-12") as two of Wyatt's brothers. Lyle Bettger, Ted de Corsia, Lee Van Cleef, Jack Elam, Frank Faylen and Earl Holliman round out the cast in my vote for the best O.K. Corral flick ever.

Diary of a Lost Girl (G.W. Pabst, 1929)

I find this far superior to Louise Brooks' more-famous film by Pabst, Pandora's Box. That didn't really have the guts to show all the sex and violence inherent in the story while this film is basically a sensory overload of such dimensions that it becomes one of the most erotic films ever made. Brooks' teenager Thymian is brought up in a home where her father throws out her governess when the latter becomes pregnant. Immediately, the father employs another, even-more-attractive governess, and Thymian falls victim to her father's partner, a pharmacist who rapes and impregnates her. When she refuses to marry the pharmacist, her baby is taken away and Thymian is sent to live in a reform school and after she escapes from there, she and her new friend find themselves working in a brothel. The sets, costumes and performances are all created to play up the exotic nature of unknown sex which later translates into a world of never-ending sensuality which seems to make it easier to survive in a world without any real love. Thymian doesn't really want to be a whore, but she's been abused so many times in her young life that it's almost comforting for awhile, at least until she learns better from a rich old man who seeks nothing but to treat her with fatherly affection. The resolution of the film makes it clear that despite it all, Thymian's heart is ultimately full of both wisdom and innocence, things not possessed by the socialites who try to help girls such as she. Louise Brooks is beautiful and heartbreaking in her presence and performance here.

Drag Me to Hell (Sam Raimi, 2009)
-

Raimi's return to [relatively] lower-budget horror flicks is pretty good for what it is, although I'll admit that somehow I'm now more used to believing in a flying spider-man than I am simple curses and seances. The film begins 40 years ago in an effective scene which is later reproduced after our heroine Christine (Alison Lohman) receives her curse which will cause her to be dragged down to hell in three days' time. Now, the question becomes does she deserve the curse and is she the heroine? She's quite likeable and attractive, but she does treat the old woman quite poorly in an attempt to climb the ladder at her bank job, even though her boss and co-worker seem to be dyed-in-the-wool jerks. On the other hand, the old woman seems to overreact a bit by immediately terrorizing and cursing her. Well, we wouldn't have a movie if she didn't. Much of the film seems inspired by the original Nightmare on Elm Street in the way surrealism bleeds into everyday life, and Christine experiences things which no one else does, but then there are times when these violent, repulsive scenes become all too real and begin to affect others around her as well. I'd say the film was fair-to-middling, but it does get the benefit of the doubt from me because the last 15 minutes build up quite nicely to a definite "Gotcha" moment which makes much of the seeming craziness earlier on worth sitting through. Of course, I could be wrong since I basically don't watch "modern" horror films.

Love in the Afternoon (Billy Wilder, 1957)
+

Love in the Afternoon is a classic Billy Wilder romantic comedy which isn't mentioned as often as many of his other classics. There could be many reasons, including the fact that Gary Cooper appears to be too old to limn the dashing playboy in the film, but most people love Bogie's casting against type in Wilder's earlier Sabrina. Perhaps younger audiences don't get all the jokes and references at the beginning and end of the film. Wilder, who always loved to use topical humor, has Audrey Hepburn's father, private detective Maurice Chevalier, narrate these scenes as if he were doing a Jack Webb/Joe Friday impression which is hilarious to Brenda and me but may mean nothing to others. There is also the fact that the film is all rather simple for a comedy which is over two hours long, but as usual with most very good films, it's all in the details. The simplicity involves the fact that Hepburn's Ariane lives vicariously through her father's files which are all about other peoples' love affairs. One day, she tries to save the Cooper character from violence and becomes totally infatuated with him. The details here include that John McGiver (Breakfast at Tiffany's) has a sparkling cameo as a husband who hires Chevalier and then wants to put several bullets into Cooper. One of the funniest things about this movie is that Cooper has a Hungarian quartet known as the Gypsies who play appropriate mood music for him, not only in his hotel suite, but in boats on a lake and in the sauna too. But perhaps the greatest detail which this film has (and one which tops the ending to Sabrina) is that the actual ending is deeply-romantic and movingly-filmed by Wilder in what I would call one of his best-directed scenes ever.

The Innocents (Jack Clayton, 1961)

I've discussed this film many places around the site, including its own thread twice, so maybe this is overkill to mention it again, but I just watched it with someone who has never seen it, so I'll try to post something new and thoughtful, if I can. The bottom line for me is that this is the creepiest, scariest, most-unsettling horror film I've ever seen. It's far-more complex than Drag Me to Hell which wears its scares on its sleeves. The Innocents is so frightening because it's open to so many interpretations, and no matter which way you interpret it, it's just as disturbing as possible. It's based on Henry James' The Turn of the Screw which tells the story of a new governess, Miss Giddens (Deborah Kerr), and her effect on two angelic children who seem to be far more mature than their ages would allow. The boy Miles (Martin Stephens) is sent home from school for being "an injury" to the other boys, and the girl Flora (Pamela Franklin) seems to realize that Miles is coming home before anyone else does. This is only the beginning of many incidents which seem to possibly have more than one explanation, and as the film progresses, it becomes more-difficult to decide what the truth of the situation is. The photography is spectacular and the sound design awesomely conveys what could either be Miss Giddens' deepening madness or a presence of unspeakable evil which threatens to possess and corrupt the children in the form of two dead servants who formally helped to raise the children while freely carrying on an open S&M sexual relationship in front of them. Since the film was made in 1961, you have to pay attention to pick up all the plot nuances and possibilities, but all you have to have are eyes and ears to be transfixed and lost in another world of a large house full of rooms of whispers and scary "games" of hide-and-seek. Make sure you watch this one after it gets dark.

Red River (Howard Hawks, 1948)

Spectacular western epic about the first cattle drive along the Chisholm Trail is actually a thinly-veiled retelling of Mutiny on the Bounty. But years earlier, Thomas Dunson (John Wayne) breaks free from a wagon train with his longtime friend Groot (Walter Brennan), a wagon, a bull and some horses. Dunson tells his fiancee (Colleen Gray) to continue on with the train and that he'll send for her when he's ready. By the time the two men make it to the Red River in Texas, they realize that the wagons have been attacked by Indians. After the Indians attack them at night, young Matt arrives at their camp with a cow but he's half-crazy having witnessed the Indian attack on the wagon train before escaping. Years later, after the Civil War, Matt (played by Montgomery Clift as an adult) returns to help Dunson and Groot drive the herd of almost 10,000 cattle west to Missouri, although there are rumors that there's a railroad in Abilene, Kansas, which would eliminate the danger of Missouri raiders stealing the herd and killing the men. Dunson wants to take them to Missouri though and becomes despotic on the drive, causing many of the men to grumble and question his authority. Eventually, there is a mutiny and Dunson is left behind injured and embarrassed while Matt leads the herd to Abilene. Dunson vows to kill Matt once he recuperates and comes after him. Red River is full of action, male bonding, Indian attacks, gunfights, fistfights and the recreation of a full-fledged cattle drive where all the principal actors actually are involved in transporting a huge herd. It's also a character study of a bitter man who hasn't reconciled himself to a new postwar world where he needs more help than he ever has before but is too proud to ask for it since it will make him seem weak. I'm not going to go into the details about the films ending which has been discussed here recently, except to say that it makes total sense to me and is the only ending I can think of which does in the light of the way the two main characters have been presented for over two hours of screen time. If you want to see a father kill his son in a western, go watch The Big Country where it makes sense, but don't ask an epic western about the founding of a great cattle empire to end with one of the founders dead over a stubborn old man's misplaced sense of pride.

The Battle of Russia (Frank Capra & Anatole Litvak, 1943)

Part Five of the Why We Fight series is the two-part The Battle of Russia which not only explains the history of invasions into Russia during the 700 years leading up to WWII but goes into detail about the major battles of Moscow, Leningrad and Stalingrad where the Soviet army and strategy successfully repelled the Nazi invaders. Some early scenes even use Russian movies (Alexander Nevsky) to show how the Russians have repulsed the Teutonic Knights, the Swedes, Napoleon and various others before the onslaught of Hitler's blitzkrieg. The strategy of falling back and strengthening each line of resistance is clearly explained as well as the Nazis need to invade several countries before entering Russia in order to get natural resources and land and sea bases from which to launch their attacks. The striking imagery of actual combat footage, combined with archival footage, special effects, cartoon graphics, quick editing and Dimitri Tiomkin's stirring Russian score all add up to an educational, yet fast-paced and entertaining dissection of current events almost at the time of their occurrence. This film is about par for the series although it does contain some of the more potent images, including a haunting one showing Russian villagers hanging along the Eastern Front as the Nazis retreat.

That's probably because after my stroke, I started doing 20 ratings at a time because I couldn't type long reviews anymore. I've got about 2,000 posts in Movie Tab II, and I'm sure that several people have never looked in there. Post wherever you want, but there's some good stuff in Movie Tab. Here are two posts I made in there when I could actually type.
I love reading your old posts though I admittedly only do.it when you quote them. I look forward to your posts now as well. I will start posting back in the tab. Maybe we can get people back to it.

I don't know if this section includes TV series and I don't really care because I HAVE to talk about this!!!

Sherlock...Oh my goodness this show is epic! I just finished watching the 3rd episode and the ending was phenomenal! That [spoiler] scene where Sherlock discovers Irene's passcode...was just amazing. The soundtrack fitted perfectly and I felt thrilled to know if he was going to actually have it right or wrong.

I saw the IMDb rating of 9.3/10 and thought: "My goodness this show must be overrated", I was a thousand times wrong! Looking for thrills? Looking for interesting stories? For good character development? For new ideas? WATCH SHERLOCK NOW!!!

I read all the posts in the Tab too, although have started to use this thread recently as I haven't been watching that many movies, so I've only had one or two to post at a time. I'm starting to watch more now though, maybe I should head back, although there seems to me more rep and discussion in here for whatever reason(s). I think too many members are unaware of really what the Movie Tab is.

Welcome to the human race...
The Dark Knight Rises -

The best superhero threequel is still a superhero threequel.

Out Of The Furnace (2013) - Scott Cooper

- First It's a rewatch for me and I just want to said how much I love that flick. So d*mn underrated and I truly think that's it's one of the most hidden gem of the decade so far. The whole cast is perfection. Christian Bale and Casey Affleck are both amazing as brothers in the movie and Woody Harrelson steal the show as the vilain because he is psycho and totally hilarious. The direction is special I don't know why it's a slow movie but I feel the direction to be very well-made and I like the style of Scott Cooper. The ending is very good and the whole movie is great. A new favorite of mine.
+

Master of My Domain
I think too many members are unaware of really what the Movie Tab is.
Hey, we're just keeping up with the times man.

Just kidding, well, at least I know how awesome Movie Tab is. Sure, when you're posting you might wanna access Rate the Last Movie you Saw for the rep (that would be me ) but overall Movie Tab has a bit more quality to it. The writing is superb thanks to a few people, and I have very fond memories of posting a joke there that got cricket to nominate it for a Best Post Mofie. Other people post some interesting stuff too, my favorite is when meaty recommended Spielberg films to mark - that was hilarious. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is, for those of you who haven't checked out Movie Tab yet, please do.

The Babadook (Rewatch)

This movie gets better the more times I watch it. Previously I believe I gave it a 4/5.

The Evil Dead (Rewatch)

Another movie I'm growing to appreciate more. There's more to it then shock value. I don't know what it is, but its constant barrage of gore actually helps it be a much better movie then it would otherwise be. Previously gave this a 3/5.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Amores Perros a.k.a. Love's a Bitch (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2000)

The debut movie of one of the best directors in business.
It's very similar to Babel in the way the different stories are merged into a single happening (I hear that 21 Gramms is about that aswell, it'll probably be my next watch). It's also similar to other Iñárritu's works in the heavy and psychologically draining story held solely by a flawless non-linear script and terrific acting (in particular, a young Gael Garcia Bernal).
Pulp Fiction has clearly a strong influence on it though I wouldn't compare Tarantino to Iñárritu, as the latter has a much more heavy and brutal style.
Overall, it's not an easy movie to watch and it's not an easy movie to stop watching. I will revisit Babel and watch 21 Gramms and Biutiful soon!

Welcome to the human race...
What are the weaknesses?
Stuff that doesn't really hold up on repeat viewings, such as the love triangle between Bruce/Harvey/Rachel or the fact that the film's structure does feel a bit loose and has to keep throwing in different plot strands to keep things moving along (e.g. the Coleman Reese sub-plot) in a way that doesn't quite feel coherent enough to support a 150-minute movie. The action sequences are pretty good more often than not, though the opening bank heist proves a hard act to follow (even with the admittedly impressive armoured car chase that comes at the halfway mark) and by the time the film reaches its climatic set-piece it's more concerned with playing out the whole two-ferry situation than staging an actual action sequence where Batman confronts the Joker and his goons. Besides which, Nolan seems to falter a bit when it comes to depicting actual person-on-person fighting instead of chases or heists.

Finished here. It's been fun.

News From Home

a great idea on paper, executed in a not so good way. would work better as a short film. i do admire what Akerman was going for.

Scattered Clouds
+

This is the type of film that slowly grows on the viewer. Probably the most esoteric melodrama I've seen yet, and probably the most opaque Naruse I've seen thus far. Also, this is one of the most visually appealing color films I've ever seen. A strong final film from an underseen master.

Zombie
+

woah man

i'm gonna need more Fulci in my life, cause this was rad

Hell (2011) - Tim Fehlbaum
Rather unoriginal German post apocalyptic film that ends up being worth watching - it does a good job of creating tension and despite a small budget it looks pretty good. Basically, most of its ideas are stolen but it's still a good watch if you like these types of films (which I do).

+