Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Dr. Zhivago - 4/10

David's definitely not lean! Very slow-paced... Too much emphasis on setting, snow, people marching, etc., but not much being said. I didn't feel anything for the characters - I felt no love in this "love story". And for such a slow-paced movie, it wasn't that easy to follow.. I also don't care for propaganda of any sort.

EDIT/ADD: Also, the sound editing was bad. Too many times, the external sounds (trains, marching, weather) was much louder than the dialogue.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Dr. Zhivago - 4/10

I know a sweet lil' lady that would take you to task on that one.

Paris, Texas - 8/10

A special thanks to hello101 and samoan lawyer for the recommendation on the "Best films about loneliness" - which ALL have been great.

This was a great film.. I will watch it again in a week or so, as I was interrupted by my neighbor who once again knocked on my door, no phone call, in hysterics. I've just been to chicken to tell her to never come over unless I'm expecting her. I keep my phone turn off, and it means I don't wanna be interrupted! After she left, I made a few more pauses, was a tiny bit distracted.

Also, I think the film accelerated something I've been telling a girl in subtle ways, a 13-yr off and on relationship (mostly off), telling her not to contact me again (but this time I mean it, seriously).

That's the power of film, the great ones are universal, and each person can be an observer, and sometimes close to the film. For kids and adults, not just escapism, but a confrontation of life, to be inspiring. This movie certainly has a lot of powerful moments. I once saw this many years ago, but not being as open-minded, after watching a guy wander in the desert, I changed the channel. And it did take a few minutes before the film got going, and it was great. The scene where father is showing his son pictures in their first intimate alone moment was so realistic, and the panopticon scene. Really good story.

I'm really late to this one but I just finished Ghost in the Shell. Still processing the subject matter it brought up so cannot really rate it, god what a great movie!

He's saying both American Film (in general) and Anime (in general) can not really be described as genres, so in that sense he's perfectly consistent. I personally think he's actually right about this.
It's super obvious that Japanese animation and American film are not genres. Argue about it is ludicrous.

BTW, Guap, what do you think about NGE? I loved it more than PMMM. Please, don't scold me!
NGE is in my top 3 TV series. Really great and powerful. I watched when I was 12 and it left a very deep impression. Glad you liked it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I find the first 13 or so episodes just your ordinary mecha anime with some genius hints from time to time (that freakin' long take of Shinji in the background at the platform) and then after this the show goes all bonkers and crazy psychological drama/thriller. I liked the last two episodes of the series more than the full-length film, but this one rocks, too. Oh, and Pen Pen freakin' rocks!

Dat music in Misato's house + Pen Pen appears = best anime ever.

The Thin Blue Line (Errol Morris, 1988)

From a film making perspective this is definitely a triumph, an excellent presentation of the facts, using the medium to combine testimonies, recreation, new items etc. in an informative and powerful way. It confused me a little in its presentation of everything though, in that everything from the start seemed to point that Adams was innocent, everything seemed like it was filmed after he had been released, not whilst he was in prison, the suspense of the documentary felt lesser in the fact that this did not seem so much like a top secret cover up Morris had stumbled across, but something glaringly obvious, I think at the time it would have been a more effective and relevant piece of work in actually exposing what happened to the people.

Nights of Cabiria - 8/10

I saw this in 2010, and loved the film more as it progressed. Of course, Giulieta Masina stole my heart, again. Just like Lola did in "Come Back, Little Sheba" yesterday. Come to think of it, I've watched some great emotional films.

I feel any mention of this film is a spoiler. A prostitute who just wants to be loved, but is treated like junk and taken advantage of.

Patlabor 2

Great animation. Exploring the potential of highly realistic animation. Cinematography is spectacular. Highly philosophical content as well. The plot is not cristal clear though.

The Score (2001) - Frank Oz

- This movie was on my watchlist for almost 3 years and I finally decide to give it a try and I'm very not disapointed. The cast as expected is totally awesome Norton, De Niro and Brando are astounding. The storyline is great and it's the kind of crime movie that I like. The ending is my favorite part of this one because it's brilliant.
-

Shane Carruth's Upstream Color is a mystifying abstraction. A fiction too specific for any detail to be random. The core truths are kept close to the heart, suspended in an intricate web. The enigma of Primer with a new emotional and philosophic dimension. Trading a technological wonder for an earthy one. I might not have solved the entire puzzle in one sitting, but the corners were satisfying enough.

The Gift (2015) - Joel Edgerton

- Joel Edgerton directional debut is totally A.W.E.S.O.M.E. I love it all way through and it's definitely is my top 3 of 2015 so far. The Casting is so good especially Joel Edgerton which make an astounding job. The storyline is impressive and really well-made. The atmosphere is very good and creepy per moments. The ending is my favorite part, Brilliant job. I have a deep respect for Blumhouse Production and they again prove me why they are the best with this flick. Props guys !
-

....the suspense of the documentary felt lesser in the fact that this did not seem so much like a top secret cover up Morris had stumbled across, but something glaringly obvious.
Isn't this part of the power and the point, though? It wasn't some hush-hush, high level cover up that people didn't/couldn't know about. This was, in your own words "glaringly obvious".

Night and the City (1950)

I liked a lot about this movie, but it never really got me excited. I already kind of feel like I need to see it again. Great atmosphere and setting, a nice fight scene, and Richard Widmark is great playing a weasel. I may have had a bad viewing.

Welcome to the human race...
Sugar Hill -

In the wise words of Childs from The Thing, "this is a bunch of voodoo bullsh*t".