Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Finished here. It's been fun.

The Earrings of Madame De...
+

My first from Ophuls - an elegant and perfectly composed film with a wonderful narrative. Rating will go up during rewatches.

Vacation (2015)

Not even close to being as good as I hoped when the first trailer dropped. But still not as bad as I feared when it got seriously panned upon release

Okay, the reason why I don't tear this apart myself is because there were moments of goodness. A few good jokes (most in trailers), some fun ideas (most underdeveloped) and a generally likeable cast (not an Ed "overacting" Helms fan). It was one of those movies I didn't hate myself for sitting through, mostly because it was tolerable though cheap entertainment. Even for those few good jokes, I only gave away two split-second laughs, a few short chuckles, while the rest was me going "oh, okay, yeah, I see the joke, nice try but try again..."

A lot of it felt like throwaway gags that had me wondering how the hell it ended up in the final film, while most of the good jokes and fun scenes were in the trailer. But still I didn't hate it enough to completely pan it myself. It was not a good movie, really, but the few good moments and likeable cast made it bearable to watch, even though their characters were plain. This may be at least half a popcorn higher than it deserves. Oh well...

-

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl - 7.5/10
Not sure about that assuring you something half way through the film... a bit like Fargo telling you it's a "true story"...
It's a cute and warm movie neverthelss.

Crimson Peak (2015)

All in all a good movie but I felt a little let down in some ways. It kinda reminds me of Bram Stoker's Dracula in the fact that the costume and set designs look great, but it kinda lacks in other departments. One of my biggest complaints is that it seemed to take a little too long to really get started. Also, it's not very scary but you find out that was actually the intention, it turns more into a sort of mystery-romance halfway through. Not gonna spoil the ending but I did kinda like the way everything unraveled in the end. It was a good movie to watch once, but still not sure whether or not I'm gonna revisit it.

Knock Knock (2015)

+

Keanu Reeves plays a guy who has it all; he's successful, and has a great wife and kids. While his family takes a quick vacation, he stays home with the dog to get some work done. Late at night, there's a knock at the door. It's two young, pretty girls who are lost and soaking wet. Let them in and help them out, right? Wrong! It takes a little effort, but the two girls seduce him. After that, things go downhill fast.

This movie had me squirming. I felt the main character's stress, and found it to be psychologically upsetting. I've got to give it to Reeves. He may not be the best actor, but I always enjoy his performances, and he's been in a lot of entertaining movies. The two girls were really good too. They played such evil see-you-next-Tuesdays, omg I wanted to strangle them. I love Eli Roth as a director. This movie is not violent like his others, but it's well made and effective. He makes trash, but he makes the kind of trash I love.

Welcome to the human race...
If you think Johnny Guitar is a standard western, you should watch more westerns!
Don't sass me.

Modern Times -

It's alright.

Knock Knock (2015)

+

Keanu Reeves plays a guy who has it all; he's successful, and has a great wife and kids. While his family takes a quick vacation, he stays home with the dog to get some work done. Late at night, there's a knock at the door. It's two young, pretty girls who are lost and soaking wet. Let them in and help them out, right? Wrong! It takes a little effort, but the two girls seduce him. After that, things go downhill fast.

This movie had me squirming. I felt the main character's stress, and found it to be psychologically upsetting. I've got to give it to Reeves. He may not be the best actor, but I always enjoy his performances, and he's been in a lot of entertaining movies. The two girls were really good too. They played such evil see-you-next-Tuesdays, omg I wanted to strangle them. I love Eli Roth as a director. This movie is not violent like his others, but it's well made and effective. He makes trash, but he makes the kind of trash I love.

You and Derek giving it a positive review has only upped my excitement.

Also, Lorenza Izzo is so hot. It just needs to be said.

Also, Lorenza Izzo is so hot. It just needs to be said.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Crimson Peak (2015)

All in all a good movie but I felt a little let down in some ways. It kinda reminds me of Bram Stoker's Dracula in the fact that the costume and set designs look great, but it kinda lacks in other departments. One of my biggest complaints is that it seemed to take a little too long to really get started. Also, it's not very scary but you find out that was actually the intention, it turns more into a sort of mystery-romance halfway through. Not gonna spoil the ending but I did kinda like the way everything unraveled in the end. It was a good movie to watch once, but still not sure whether or not I'm gonna revisit it.

That kinda stinks. Most of the reviews have been dancing around that it is beautiful, but maybe not much else.

Star Wars

Certainly not as good as everyone says. It's enjoyable enough, but the only Star Wars movie I'd consider revisiting at this point in time is The Empire Strikes Back. Essentially the same thrills, but more character development and less....space shooters.

(also coincidentally the same movie Iroquois just finished watching. What odds.)

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, while I did give it an extremely high rating I do wonder how much of that is just down to it being nostalgic fun more so than it being a genuinely great film in its own right, and I definitely don't think as highly of it as I used to (it was my #3 pick about ten years ago). I certainly had to look past the Special Edition "improvements" in this instance. I've got Empire running at the moment, which is definitely an improvement in just about every regard.

Rounders (1998) - John Dahl

- As much as I love poker this movie is the best about the subject in my opinion. Damon and Norton chemistry is awesome and they are both pretty great in the movie. The Storyline is interesting and pretty entertaining since I love playing poker with my friends and win money sometimes . I also like the fact that the term ''destiny'' surround this movie because I believe in the fact that we have our own destiny to live and it's pre-determined. The ''redemption'' ending is awesome and I heard that a sequel must be in work with the same cast and director from the first movie so I cannot wait. Awesome Job and John Dahl is definitely one of my favorite.
-

Repulsion (1965) (Dir. Roman Polanski)

Having seen Rosemary's Baby multiple times, I thought it was only right to check out the rest of Polanski's Apartment Trilogy. The great thing about a non-narrative trilogy is that it doesn't matter which order you watch them in.

I appreciate horror that grounds the roots of fear in something very real. There might be no more effective foundation for the genre than mental illness. I'd go so far to say that Repulsion fares far better in that respect than predecessors such as Psycho and Peeping Tom. It's a very natural and seamless progression here, never falling victim to same degree of cinematic affectation that the former rely on.

Gilbert Taylor does spectacular work behind the camera despite being confined almost entirely to one location. Catherine Deneuve delivers a very nuanced and disturbing portrayal of a schizophrenic break. The sound design uses organic noise better than other horror films have used their scores. More importantly it knows how to use silence, an essential ingredient in horror.

It's really a flawless picture as far as my tastes are concerned.
How unfortunate that Polanski's later life might spoil the experience for some.