Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Martian (2015)

This was a great movie experience. Matt Damon delivers a superb performance as an astronaut stranded on Planet Mars after his crew leave him behind in the midst of a storm, assuming he's dead.

Venus in Fur, Roman Polanski
Well what can I say, I probably would have liked it way more if I liked theatre. Unfortunately I'm not its greatest fan so all I can do is praise the performances from the two actors.

Sinister, Scott Derrickson
A nice horror movie which, despite a few cheap jump scares, I found to be more so unsettling than scary, especially in the Super 8 parts. I definitely didn't expect it to end the way it does and I was happy with that.

Team America, Trey Parker.
Bahah, extremely funny spoof of America's international policies. The animation was superb (gotta love the way the marionettes move around) and it's not ashame of being rude and extremely stupid.
8/10

Could do with a few less TV scenes. I get it's supposed to be subtext, but it doesn't mean I should care. Elsewise a hell of a good first zombie movie.

The TV scenes, as with the b&w is to make it seem more like a tv news broadcast. While there wasn't any attempt to make the viewer (of the time) think that it was real, it was used to give it a sense of immediacy and reality.

The TV scenes, as with the b&w is to make it seem more like a tv news broadcast. While there wasn't any attempt to make the viewer (of the time) think that it was real, it was used to give it a sense of immediacy and reality.
_

I get it's supposed to be subtext, but it doesn't mean I should care.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Hable con ella a.k.a. Talk to Her (Pedro Almodovar, 2002)

Absolutely brilliant!!!
The script is extremely well thought, the direction is great, the acting is amazing and the dubiety of both man sexual orientation adds the Almodovian touch that I can't stop loving! The way Almodovar portraits such a surrealistic reality in such a normal universe is outstanding, with an impressive attention to details. There's few directors in the world with the ability to make visual and aural masterpieces and have a superb script at the same time.
Also, a standing ovation to Alberto Iglesias for a genius sountrack!
By far, the best Almodovar and even the best spanish movie I've ever seen!

+

Manos: The Hands of Fate

I'm really confused why this is considered the worst movie ever created. It's really not terrible, per se. Just kind of boring and cliche. I actually enjoyed it for the most part.

Master of My Domain
Anti Christ (Von Trier, 2009)

What a hard film to write about. It's beautiful and brutal at the same time. I don't get shocked by on-screen imagery but man this was a whole new level of physical/psychological grief, pain, and despair. Lars Von Trier achieves his goal to have you dazzled and repulsed by his artistic craft, however after all that what's it in for me? There are tons of films that explore human nature better than Anti Christ with a less reliance on violent imagery and more on story and character.

Duel (1971)

If Hitchcock had ever directed a road movie this would be it... It even has the Psycho-ish soundtrack to go with it. Anyways, for a TV movie this is absolutely brillant filmmaking, where Spielberg shows what you can do with a tight budget and a short shooting schedule. He creates a tense little flick out of almost nothing, with a solid performance by Dennis Weaver and an even greater peformance by the villain of the film; the truck. At times it does have that low budget feel to it and some things like the voice-over didn't quite work, but after all it seems clear that Spielberg was still learning here. But man do those 90 minutes drive by you fast!

+

Scarface

9/10

Duel (1971)

If Hitchcock had ever directed a road movie this would be it... It even has the Psycho-ish soundtrack to go with it. Anyways, for a TV movie this is absolutely brillant filmmaking, where Spielberg shows what you can do with a tight budget and a short shooting schedule. He creates a tense little flick out of almost nothing, with a solid performance by Dennis Weaver and an even greater peformance by the villain of the film; the truck. At times it does have that low budget feel to it and some things like the voice-over didn't quite work, but after all it seems clear that Spielberg was still learning here. But man do those 90 minutes drive by you fast!

+
have you seen Joy Ride man ? Way better than Duel imo and in the same style

Yeah, I've seen Joy Ride, Derek.

It was okay to me but I understand why you like it a lot. I actually think I gave it about the same as Duel, so yeah, pretty good entertainment.

Welcome to the human race...
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith -

Yep, I hold the highly controversial opinion that this is actually the least awful prequel.