Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Sorry dude!

The Kill Bill's were pure self indulgence on Tarantino's part.In my opinion of course.
Probably two of the worst movies out there.
Leaving aside how Tarantino is a fundamentally self-indulgent filmmaker, how do you decide that Kill Bill is more self-indulgent than Death Proof, a film that's supposed to be a throwback to '70s exploitation movies but is still peppered to the point of distraction with Tarantino's personal trademarks?

Anyway...

For a Few Dollars More -

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Misfits - 10/10

This is the 2nd time viewing this. During the firstviewing, I watched it at around 7am, and remember that I had closed my eyes for at least 30 minutes just trying to listen, but not being able to fall asleep, but not fully taking it all in. And today was similar, though after 5 minutes, I woke myself up. I really could have used a cat nap, but the film is so great that I'd rather suffer today for that instant gratification.

One of my favorite films.. There's nothing wrong with it. Maybe Clift's role and performance, but not enough to deduct a half a point. Rated it an 8/10 the first time.

you take it away... to show them what they had
VERTIGO

i saw it when i was way younger, and didnt really like it. and didnt really remember anything so i watch it again..what an amaizing film.

10/10

Interesting post apocalyptic film which started well and then kind of tailed off. The cinematography was great. The last people left alive concept worked well - the love triangle element didn't.

The Great Mouse Detective (1986)

Underappreciated hidden gem from Disney! This revisit secured my thoughts of this film, which holds a lot of classic elements but also brings some new and refreshing stuff to the table and overall animation genre. A tighter story, surprisingly developed characters with colorful and at times unclichéd personas. Great soundtrack and clever visuals too. A wonderful film!

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace -

Nostalgia's a powerful thing and it's enough to make me feel like I can't truly hate this but I would in all probability be okay with never having to watch this again.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
saw episode I ONCE and that was TOO many times for me

did a few of The "Duke's" flicks and one cornball one I haven't seen since it came out

[REWATCH] Big Jake
Wish I could go higher, but I can't. Saw this as a little kid and while its always a pleasure to watch John Wayne, this came off a little saccharine. I don't hate it and may see it again but it could be because it followed. . .

The Undefeated
With epic camerawork and great dialogue this was a great flick to watch that I somehow never seen previously.

[REWATCH] Spaced Invaders Cornball B-Movie that is just silly @ss fun.

The Kill Bill's were pure self indulgence on Tarantino's part.In my opinion of course.
Self-indulgence is underrated as a potential quality in cinema (and art in general). It's not necessarily something negative. It certainly wasn't in the Kill Bill films, in my opinion.
It often exposes some of the deepest thoughts and desires of the artist, which can sometimes produce very interesting results.

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones -

All things considered, this might be my least favourite prequel. Revenge is semi-competent, Menace is too goofy, but this is caught in a real no-man's-land.

Self-indulgence is underrated as a potential quality in cinema (and art in general). It's not necessarily something negative. It certainly wasn't in the Kill Bill films, in my opinion.
It often exposes some of the deepest thoughts and desires of the artist, which can sometimes produce very interesting results.
Though more often it results in over long, flabby films. As it did with Kill Bill.

I'm with Iro that Clones is the worst of the prequels. I don't know how much there is between Clones and Phantom, but if I had to watch one of them again, I'd pick Phantom.

What are examples of good self indulgent films?

Though more often it results in over long, flabby films. As it did with Kill Bill.
Well, I happen to think it's four hours of fantastic cinematic entertainment, enhanced by the director's unapologetic passion for the project.

I think self-indulgence is tricky business. I think it can easily ruin a film, but at the same time, I think it can lead to extremely personal cinema.

Antichrist. It's a masterpiece.

Well, there's plenty of "self-indulgence" throughout the work of many great directors.

Three notable and obvious examples of such authors (in my opinion) are Hitchcock, Fellini and Tarantino. Most (great) directors actually have a certain grade of self-indulgence in their work (others are for instance Bergman, Woody Allen, Godard, Scorsese to a mildly lesser degree, etc...). In fact, I think the notion of (a certain degree of) self-indulgence is probably almost inherent to the auteur theory.

There are of course plenty of great directors who try to suppress their own desires and personal thoughts (or basically their whole ego) as much as they can while making a film (whether it's willingly or forced by the studios), but in almost every case, there will be glimpses of "self-indulgence" that can be spotted throughout their work.
I agree with Swan that a great portion of self-indulgence can lead to both amazing and awful results. I made my first comment about the term, because I think it is almost exclusively used in a negative sense nowadays, while I think that's not how it should (necessarily) be used or looked upon.