October '15 Movie of the Month: SINISTER (2012)

Tools    

Why I nominate that flick?

Because it's one of those flick that keep on my mind since I first watch it at the theater and because I have to pick an Halloween creepy flick and this is the perfect one. The vilain is awesome very dark and obscur character. The principal character (Ethan Hawke) is great in his role of Ellison Oswalt who want to regain is old glory of writing another best-seler hit. Like you all know the director Scott Derrickson is one of my favorite working these days and the direction of this movie is pure gold. Super 8 scenes are great and some of the kills are awesome. The atmosphere and the mystery creepy mood is great. Very effective and Scary movie that I hope everybody gonna appreciate because for me it's an instant-classic that I don't hesitate to rewatch over and over again.

ps: I know somebody of you gonna be mad at me for choosing that flick but I go with my heart on this one because it's my favorite modern horror flick

ps: I know somebody of you gonna be mad at me for choosing that flick but I go with my heart on this one because it's my favorite modern horror flick

Awesome pick Derek! I had noticed you repping this movie for quite a while. I had watched it once when it first came out and remember enjoying it. I don't own the movie but I should be able to get a hold of it within a couple days to watch it again.

From what I remember, those super-8 killing scenes did creep me out a little. The one that scared me the most was definitely the
WARNING: "Sinister" spoilers below
lawnmower scene, because of how sudden the killing was and Ethan Hawke's reaction to it.

Ethan Hawke did play the main character really good, I really liked that he played a writer and, if you ever noticed my username, stories about writers really interest me.

I also liked the wife, her accent was sexy! The son was a little annoying but I liked the daughter.

I'd have to study the characters a bit more when I watch it again, I feel like I'm forgetting a lot of what they said and their interactions. I think I remember that they had some drama between them that didn't even have anything to do with the supernatural stuff.

Lastly, the Boogeyman (I think he was called that) was a very scary villain. Him only appearing in those grainy film reels did give him a terrifying aura. Whenever I saw him I thought to myself "I would not want to be Ethan Hawke right now!"

I'm very interested in seeing how I react to it the second time, with some horror movies, the second viewing is even scarier than the first. Expect to see my thoughts on my second viewing in a few days!

Oh, and lastly lastly, did you see Sinister 2? Heard it wasn't very good... at all.

Awesome pick Derek! I had noticed you repping this movie for quite a while. I had watched it once when it first came out and remember enjoying it. I don't own the movie but I should be able to get a hold of it within a couple days to watch it again.

From what I remember, those super-8 killing scenes did creep me out a little. The one that scared me the most was definitely the
WARNING: "Sinister" spoilers below
lawnmower scene, because of how sudden the killing was and Ethan Hawke's reaction to it.

Ethan Hawke did play the main character really good, I really liked that he played a writer and, if you ever noticed my username, stories about writers really interest me.

I also liked the wife, her accent was sexy! The son was a little annoying but I liked the daughter.

I'd have to study the characters a bit more when I watch it again, I feel like I'm forgetting a lot of what they said and their interactions. I think I remember that they had some drama between them that didn't even have anything to do with the supernatural stuff.

Lastly, the Boogeyman (I think he was called that) was a very scary villain. Him only appearing in those grainy film reels did give him a terrifying aura. Whenever I saw him I thought to myself "I would not want to be Ethan Hawke right now!"

I'm very interested in seeing how I react to it the second time, with some horror movies, the second viewing is even scarier than the first. Expect to see my thoughts on my second viewing in a few days!

Oh, and lastly lastly, did you see Sinister 2? Heard it wasn't very good... at all.
Great write-up here False Writer I love that film so I love to heard some good vibe about it and Sinister 2 is good but definitely not like the original James Ransone is very good in it tho

Great write-up here False Writer I love that film so I love to heard some good vibe about it and Sinister 2 is good but definitely not like the original James Ransone is very good in it tho
No prob, expect a greater one after my second viewing!

Also, it really seemed that there was no way Mr. Boogey would be scarier in the second one.

Master of My Domain

DV needs to try a lot harder if he wants me to give his favorite a rewatch.

Why I nominate that flick?

Because it's one of those flick that keep on my mind since I first watch it at the theater and because I have to pick an Halloween creepy flick and this is the perfect one.

I watched Sinister at the theatre and it was a great experience though I had some minor problems with it... Once I rewatched it, those problems were heavily reenforced and I still think it's fairly good but I wish it didn't have all those clichés and stupid jump scares, because on one side it feels original, while on the other there's is nothing new at all...

I wrote a review a while back, after I had rewatched it: http://www.movieforums.com/community...83#post1347183

But awesome that you pick a film that you like personally, Derek, I respect that!

I may be wrong, but as fast as threads disappear in this section, I thought it should be a sticky, since this thread is suppose to last a month.
Thank you for saying that! I was logging on specifically to message Yoda about doing that.

I watched Sinister at the theatre and it was a great experience though I had some minor problems with it... Once I rewatched it, those problems were heavily reenforced and I still think it's fairly good but I wish it didn't have all those clichés and stupid jump scares, because on one side it feels original, while on the other there's is nothing new at all...

I wrote a review a while back, after I had rewatched it: http://www.movieforums.com/community...83#post1347183

But awesome that you pick a film that you like personally, Derek, I respect that!
Just read your review, great job on it like always MovieMed! Thanks for contributing.

Just read your review, great job on it like always MovieMed! Thanks for contributing.
Thank you for reading it, FW! That's very much appreciated and thanks for the kind words.

I will contribute more in the following days as well as join the discussions throughout the month. I very much like this idea.

Was able to get a hold of Sinister on Blu-Ray today Derek (movie store was having a Halloween sale so it was pretty cheap)

I'm gonna watch it tomorrow then do a full review!

Was able to get a hold of Sinister on Blu-Ray today Derek (movie store was having a Halloween sale so it was pretty cheap)

I'm gonna watch it tomorrow then do a full review!
Hell Yeah!! I rewatch it tomorrow too!

Sinister Review:

As soon as I saw the opening shot, I forgot just how creepy this movie really is. The first thing you see is a family with bags over their heads being murdered, executed by hanging from a tree simultaneously in their backyard. It is unknown who murdered the family, all you see is the murder being recorded from a grainy old super 8 camera. This dark, ominous, and disturbing footage sets the perfect tone for the rest of the movie.

Right after the mysterious footage, the film shows a family named the Oswalds moving into a new house. The father, Ellison Oswald, is a true-crime writer who's far removed from his glory days as a New York Times best-seller and is looking to write one last hit. The reason for moving into the town was for Ellison to research a murder that took place there. His wife and kids are unaware what the crime is and Ellison is reluctant to tell them anything about it. It's not long that you find out why as the same tree from the eerie video is in the Ellison's new backyard.

Right before he starts researching his new book, Ellison comes across a mysterious box labelled "home movies" in the attic of his new house. To start off his research, he takes out the projector and film reels and hooks them up to see if he can find anything interesting on the home movies. What he finds are a series of gruesome family murders that sets off an investigation to solve a terrifying, supernatural mystery.

The backbone of Sinister's horror are the super 8 films that Ellison finds in the attic. Each one shows a family being murdered in gruesome and disturbing ways. The music playing during these murders amplifies the horror (especially the barbecue scene) along with the grainy video—which makes for what I believe to be some of the scariest horror footage in recent memory. At first, the film seems more like it's about a serial killer, but the supernatural elements start to gradually come into play and on this re-watch I found them to be more scary this time around than the first.

Ethan Hawke does very well playing Ellison Oswalt, the whole film revolves around him and him alone. Unfortunately, that also meant he was the only well-developed character, with all the supporting cast to be really lacking. The kids are only in a couple scenes, and in their scenes it's the usual "I don't like it here, why did we have to move?" tripe and complaining that's been said a thousand times before in movies with similar plots. The wife is the second-biggest character but even then she's just their to argue with Ellis whenever he's not acting "normal" (her accent's still sexy though so I didn't mind it all that much )

The deputy added some comic relief to the film, but even then his character oddly shifted from comic relief to an anxious, concerned informant that fed Ellison information about the murders. I don't want to give away much about who's behind the murders, but I'll just say that he seemed more like a plot device than an actual character.

Besides the supporting cast, my only other minor complaint is that the film suffers from a few horror cliches. Ellison being awakened by a strange noise seemingly every night, at the same time, and then wander around alone in his house without turning any lights on as spooky stuff is happening made me think "Why not do something different this time? Like wake up your wife or turn the lights on?" Still only a minor complaint, since sometimes you have to sacrifice logic to make the movie as frightening as possible.

Even with these small problems, I still think Sinister is a very entertaining and well-made horror film that does many things right. Though I may not think it's the best recent horror movie (I'd probably give that one to The Conjuring) I do think it's quite possibly the scariest. Derek Vinyard has picked an excellent horror film that was a lot of fun to watch this time of the year. Good job DV! And if there's anyone here that hasn't watched this yet, do give it a watch! Preferably at night, alone, and with the lights off.

d*mn this is a great review and glad you appreciate it that much !! I wish I could make review like that