Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Tools    

Wow, they got everybody back for cameos! Too bad they didn't just, you know, make them the stars of the movie instead.

I doubt it will be that bad. Ridiculously unneeded, but not that bad.
If it does succeed I'll gladly eat my words.

I can't see this appealing to anyone though - I think the female cast will turn off fans of the original, and there isn't enough interest in Ghostbusters for it to appeal to younger audiences who didn't grow up with the original.

So other than Melissa McCarthy fans who are going to watch it if she's in it not even caring that it's "Ghostbusters" I don't see who the target audience is (bar the exception of angry feminists).

The fact that the director is losing his cool with the audience is already a bad sign - I think that even he's afraid it's going to bomb.

I'm finding this really upsetting...I just can't get on board reviving this franchise without Harold Ramis, I'm sorry.
Be careful - you might be a self-loathing female misogynist and not even know it

Off to a political correctness reeducation camp with you to remove your patriarchal indoctrination.

The cameos are the real gimmick. The cameos of all the original actors - Dan Aykroyd, BILL MURRAY, Ernie Hudson, Sigourney, Annie Potts - are what's gonna get people to go to the movies and see this.

If they weren't doing cameos, the movie would do a lot worse, because I think ultimately, an all female Ghostbusters IS a bad idea. The cameos are just crutches for this movie. They're just there to get people interested in seeing it.

The cameos are the real gimmick. The cameos of all the original actors - Dan Aykroyd, BILL MURRAY, Ernie Hudson, Sigourney, Annie Potts - are what's gonna get people to go to the movies and see this.
Seriously?

Welcome to the human race...
Wow, they got everybody back for cameos! Too bad they didn't just, you know, make them the stars of the movie instead.
Do you remember what happened the last time that Dan Aykroyd starred in a long-overdue buddy comedy sequel that had to work around a dead co-star?

Keeping an open mind and looking forward to watching this.

This whole thing just reeks of another unnecessary reboot of a classic to me. The all-women thing doesn't even bother me but it should be for another film altogether.

If anything good is to come out of this, maybe people will finally soften on GB2 after all this time. I never got the dislike for the sequel and always enjoyed it as much as the first. The reboot likely won't even touch GB2 let alone the original.

Agree with Shadow above.

The Ghostbusters movies are so odd in that they are funny while trying to be so serious. Everything is deadpan and that's what makes it work. I'm afraid this new one will try to hard to force laughs and miss the magic of the originals.

This whole thing just reeks of another unnecessary reboot of a classic to me. The all-women thing doesn't even bother me but it should be for another film altogether.

If anything good is to come out of this, maybe people will finally soften on GB2 after all this time. I never got the dislike for the sequel and always enjoyed it as much as the first. The reboot likely won't even touch GB2 let alone the original.
I was pretty surprised that I didn't really know any of the actresses involve – that bothered me. I could have easily imagined somebody like Emma Stone doing it for example.

Boldly going.
I'm reading some rather sexist remarks in this thread, and frankly I find it very uncool, especially in this day and age. You wouldn't air such remarks in-person in public, without the cover of anonymity.

No matter what cast they had selected, the cast would still be compared to the original. Since we're talking about Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, this is an almost impossible challenge, especially considering the phenomenal popularity of the first movie. The only way they can do something different is by having an all-female cast. I think it's the right direction. Did they select the right comediennes? I think that remains to be seen. Let's give them a chance.

I'm looking forward to the movie and I'll be glad to see a real (not fake) trailer.

I'm reading some rather sexist remarks in this thread, and frankly I find it very uncool, especially in this day and age.
What's different about "this day and age" other than people finding petty reasons to be outraged as they've done throughout history?

Just because you "read it on the internet" doesn't mean its true.

You wouldn't air such remarks in-person in public, without the cover of anonymity.
I would and I do regularly because I know the difference between humor and being intentionally antagonistic toward actual individuals, and I avoid associating with hypersensitive people who spend more time being concerned over "mean words" than issues such as the current state of the economy, or North Korea's human rights abuses.

Most people (including women) that I know will respect a person with an off-color sense of humor more than someone who's so afraid of "what other people think of them"?

A person who tries to be "polite" just because he's afraid of others' disliking them isn't a good person, just a sychophant - and they seem as fake as Jimmy Swaggart talking about marital fidelity.

So given the type of humor which is acceptable in the media (such as the "misandrist" humor in sitcoms like Everybody Loves Raymond which I'm not bored enough to whine about) I find my humor perfectly fine.

And I'm not one to take advice about what "people find offensive" from strangers on the internet without verifiable real life experience, anymore than I am to take marriage advice from an overeducated, 27-year old virginal, Catholic Priest.

Oh and BTW, the all female cast is a bad idea too.

No matter what cast they had selected, the cast would still be compared to the original. Since we're talking about Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, this is an almost impossible challenge, especially considering the phenomenal popularity of the first movie. The only way they can do something different is by having an all-female cast. I think it's the right direction. Did they select the right comediennes? I think that remains to be seen. Let's give them a chance.

I'm looking forward to the movie and I'll be glad to see a real (not fake) trailer.
Personally I don't see the point in marketing it as a sequel to Ghostbusters if the cast is being radically altered. Just make it a different movie or a spin off, but don't bill it as a remake of the original just to cash in on the brand name.

What next, a reboot of "Charlie's Angels" featuring an all-gay-male cast?

No matter what cast they had selected, the cast would still be compared to the original. Since we're talking about Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, this is an almost impossible challenge, especially considering the phenomenal popularity of the first movie.

Which is exactly why this movie is a bad idea. regardless of who the new cast is, men or women, this remake simply shouldn't have been made.
The fact they've gone with an entirely female cast... is a gimmick to cover the fact that, in your very words: "No matter what cast they had selected, the cast would still be compared to the original. Since we're talking about Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, this is an almost impossible challenge, especially considering the phenomenal popularity of the first movie."

Short version of what I wrote:

If you think sexist humor or criticizing female casting choices is "always bad", then that applies to misandrist humor in sitcoms, rom-coms, as well. Not just to individuals with vaginas. (The same goes for racist, etc humor).

If you think that it only applies to people with vaginas or other "minorities" because their group has been historically "more oppressed" , then that is just the hipster PC idea of "equality of outcome", not based on any real underlying principle.

The more I read the more I learn that learning basic morals nullifies almost all modern political ideologies, since nearly all of them are based on double standards, mindless talking points, and Machiavellian dishonesty rather than arcane concepts such as... common sense.

Awww, crap. Someone woke this thread up again...
I may be prone to this myself, but I agree that I think all that's been said has already been said and the it's just mental masturbation at this point.

Welcome to the human race...
What's different about "this day and age" other than people finding petty reasons to be outraged as they've done throughout history?
People realising that the reductive attitudes of ages past are uncool, obviously.

I would and I do regularly because I know the difference between humor and being intentionally antagonistic toward actual individuals,
You may know the difference, but how would other people unless you clarified? Also, the whole "I was just joking" defence is a bad one.

and I avoid associating with hypersensitive people who spend more time being concerned over "mean words" than issues such as the current state of the economy, or North Korea's human rights abuses.
This is a rather disingenuous line of reasoning. The idea that people can't be concerned with issues such as "mean words" (and it's not like "mean words" don't have an effect anyway) because there are worse things going on seems to be one that's designed to shut down dialogues rather than entertain the possibility for communication, plus it also trivialises the serious issues if you use them as your get-out-of-argument-free card.

Most people (including women) that I know will respect a person with an off-color sense of humor more than someone who's so afraid of "what other people think of them"?
Yeah, but that's your own personal experience and in all probability not a universal truth. Besides:

A person who tries to be "polite" just because he's afraid of others' disliking them isn't a good person, just a sychophant - and they seem as fake as Jimmy Swaggart talking about marital fidelity.
You kind of have a point, but that would still be dependent on a number of factors - namely, the person, the "others", and the subject about which he's trying to be polite.

So given the type of humor which is acceptable in the media (such as the "misandrist" humor in sitcoms like Everybody Loves Raymond which I'm not bored enough to whine about) I find my humor perfectly fine.
Based on your posts, I'm not actually sure what kind of humour you actually like. What are some of your favourite comedies?

And I'm not one to take advice about what "people find offensive" from strangers on the internet without verifiable real life experience, anymore than I am to take marriage advice from an overeducated, 27-year old virginal, Catholic Priest.
If you don't think there's anything that can be learned from talking to strangers on the Internet, then why do you get into such provocative arguments all the time? This does make you out to be little more than a troll and thus makes it less likely that people will engage you in debate. Also, it's easy for you to complain about there being no "verifiable real life experience" on the Internet considering the fact that

Oh and BTW, the all female cast is a bad idea too.

Personally I don't see the point in marketing it as a sequel to Ghostbusters if the cast is being radically altered. Just make it a different movie or a spin off, but don't bill it as a remake of the original just to cash in on the brand name.

What next, a reboot of "Charlie's Angels" featuring an all-gay-male cast?
Eh, I guess people were bound to complain about a remake anyway so they might as well go all-out and change it up radically. Also, these "what if Movie X got remade with such-and-such instead" lines are getting tired.