Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Filthy Gorgeous: The Bob Guccione Story (Barry Avrich, 2014)
+
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Adam McKay, 2013)
+
Melody Ranch (Joseph Santley, 1940)
+
How I Ended This Summer (Aleksey Popogrebskiy, 2010)
+

At a remote Soviet Arctic weather station, tensions mount between the veteran geophysicist (Sergei Puskepalis) and his summer intern (Grigoriy Dobrygin) to the point where the younger man becomes scared of his unfriendly trainer. Then an emergency message comes to their base, and the fear escalates.
Words and Pictures (Fred Schepisi, 2014)

TWA Flight 800 (Kristina Borjesson, 2013)

The Winning Season (James C. Strouse, 2009)
+
Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa (Jeff Tremaine, 2013)
+

A family film, ”Jackass”-style, where aged Johnny Knoxville drives his grandson Jackson Nicoll halfway across the country to return him to his dad. Along the way, there’s plenty of sexual and scatological humor, which is to be expected.
Men, Women & Children (Jason Reitman, 2014)
+
Area 51 (Oren Peli, 2015)

Sebastian Maniscalco: Aren't You Embarrassed? (John Asher, 2014)

Guardians of the Galaxy (James Gunn, 2014)

Rocket Raccoon (voice of Bradley Cooper) and Groot (voice of Vin Diesel) attempt to break out of a space prison.
Author! Author! (Arthur Hiller, 1982)

Strike Force aka The Librarians (Mike Kirton, 2003)

Yumen (J. P. Sniadecki, Xu Ruotuo & Xiang Huang, 2013)

Extreme Private Eros: Love Song 1974 (Kazuo Hara, 1974)

The filmmaker’s lover Miyuki takes their son and leaves him, but he soon follows her to Okinawa to learn why she left him and document her alternative life style. He later brings his new girlfriend and films Miyuki giving birth to her new baby.
Mickey's Delayed Date (Charles Nichols, 1947)

Deep in the Darkness (Colin Theys, 2014)

Case 39 (Christian Alvart, 2009)

Cheap Thrills (E.L. Katz, 2014)

Just fired from his job and having received an eviction notice, family man Pat Healy needs a drink and accidentally runs into high school buddy Ethan Embry at a bar where the two also meet eccentric millionaire David Koechner and his sexy wife Sara Paxton who are celebrating her birthday. The night turns into a series of dares worth more and more money with some surprising results.

Belly 2: Millionaire Boyz Club (Ivan Frank, 2008)
+
The Velvet Touch (John Gage, 1948)

The Horse Soldiers (John Ford, 1959)

Stop at Nothing: The Lance Armstrong Story (Alex Holmes, 2014)

Bicyclist Armstrong maintained a cover-up of his many years of doping by constant denial, use of threats, sympathy about his cancer and gaining the support of many influential political leaders. It eventually netted him over $100 million dollars and seven Tour de France wins.
The Last Keepers (Maggie Greenwald, 2013)

The Battle of Midway (John Ford, 1942)

Female Directors (Yang Mingming, 2012)

Hair (Milos Forman, 1979)

Hippie Burger (Treat Williams) disrupts a lavish party by telling the guests about his body parts and jumping for joy.
Fantastic Four (Josh Trank, 2015)

The Lucky Texan (R. N. Bradbury, 1934)

The River of Life (Pingdao Yang, 2014)

Stalag 17 (Billy Wilder, 1953)

American POW William Holden has a lightbulb go on over his head – he knows who the stool pigeon in the barracks is.
Masculin Feminin (Jean-Luc Godard, 1966)
+
A Woman Is a Woman (Jean-Luc Godard, 1961)
+
7 Women (John Ford, 1966)

Rush to Judgment (Emile de Antonio, 1967)

In sobering interviews by attorney Mark Lane of numerous JFK assassination witnesses, situated throughout Dealey Plaza, one and all claim they heard and saw evidence of shots not fired from the Texas Book Depository. These first-hand witnesses, probably those closest or with the best views of the event, were mostly never questioned by the Warren Commission.
Craig Ferguson: Just Being Honest (Jay Chapman, 2015)

Nightfall (Jacques Tourneur, 1957)

The Girl in Black Stockings (Howard W. Koch, 1957)

Willow Creek (Bobcat Goldthwait, 2014)

Bigfoot fanatic Bryce Johnson and his girlfriend Alexie Gilmore pause for a bigfoot sandwich before they go out to try to find and videotape the big guy, who actually may not be that friendly.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
498) September 1st: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941)

499) September 1st: Picnic (1955)
+
500) September 2nd: Witness to Murder (1954)

501) September 2nd: Please Murder Me! (1956)

502) September 3rd: The Love Bug (1968)
+
503) September 3rd: Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1977)

504) September 4th: The Shaggy Dog (1959)

505) September 4th: The Shaggy D.A. (1976)

506) September 5th: Jurassic Park (1993)

507) September 5th: The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)

508) September 5th: Jurassic Park III (2001)
+
509) September 6th: Fantastic Four (2015)

510) September 6th: Sling Blade (1996)

511) September 7th: A Place in the Sun (1951)

512) September 7th: The Hitch-Hiker (1953)

513) September 8th: Call Me Madam (1953)
+
514) September 8th: Royal Wedding (1951)

515) September 9th: Brighton Beach Memoirs (1986)
+
516) September 9th: Biloxi Blues (1988)
+
517) September 10th: Penny Serenade (1941)
+
518) September 10th: The Champ (1979)

519) September 11th: Jersey Boys (2014)

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Black Mass - Johnny Depp turns in his best performance in years as infamous South Boston mobster James "Whitey" Bulger in this top notch crime saga, and Joel Edgerton is phenomenal as well as disgraced FBI agent John Connoly.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever (Ti West, 2009)

Mickey’s Parrot (Bill Roberts, 1938)
+
The Conqueror (Dick Powell, 1956)

The Sun Shines Bright (John Ford, 1953)

On the day of his possible re-election in an early-20th-century Kentucky town, Judge Priest (Charles Winninger) gives the eulogy of a “fallen woman” which may cost him the election.
Remember the Day (Henry King, 1941)

Beneath (Larry Fessenden, 2013)

Larceny, Inc. (Lloyd Bacon, 1942)

Brave Little Tailor (Bill Roberts, 1938)
+

Tailor Mickey Mouse claims to be a giant killer, so he volunteers to the king to kill the beast and thus win the hand of Princess Minnie.
Catlow (Sam Wanamaker, 1971)

Camp X-Ray (Peter Sattler, 2014)
+
The Bastard (Duccio Tessari, 1968)
-
Garbo Talks (Sidney Lumet, 1984)
+

When his political activist mother (Anne Bancroft) learns that she has only a short time to live, her son Ron Silver tries to grant her wish to meet her favorite star, Greta Garbo.
In the Navy (Arthur Lubin, 1941)
-
Mean Guns (Albert Pyun, 1997)

That Wonderful Urge (Robert B. Sinclair, 1948)
-
Meat Loaf: In and Out of Hell (Matt O’Casey, 2015)

Karla DeVito (lip synching to Ellen Foley’s vocals) and Meat Loaf in the “Bat Out of Hell” video. The docu follows Meat Loaf from high school to the present, highlighting his work with songwriter Jim Steinman.
See No Evil (Gregory Dark, 2006)

Three Little Girls in Blue (Bruce Humberstone, 1946)

Transcendence (Wally Pfister, 2014)
+
The Conformist (Bernardo Bertolucci, 1970)

"Fascist" Jean-Louis Trintignant doesn't have strong commitments to anything or anyone except maybe when somebody wields a gun.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on Transcendence and Garbo Talks! I'm sure you've mentioned Garbo Talks! before, and I knew you liked it, but some specifics would be nice.

Let's see. Transcendence looked good and it wasn't exactly incomprehensible, but they didn't really explain their AI very clearly. Then, after the big plot twist, you're not sure if what's going on is real or a con job. This made it difficult to really care about what was going on, and it didn't really seem like the movie cared too much either. Garbo Talks is a feel-good fantasy but maybe too-single-minded and whimsical for its own good. Bancroft and Silver are good, and I relate to their characters because they stand up for what's right and love movies while both being a bit difficult for "normal" people to get along with.

Thanks, mark.

I know the critic Mark Kermode thinks Transcendence will be reappraised in the years to come and be seen as a great sci-fi film. Or, in other words, no one else likes it much and he can't understand why.

I remember very little about Garbo Talks! except that I Silver and Bancroft were really good and I was really enjoying watching it, but got a little bored towards the end. Which makes sense to me if you think it's a little too single minded for its own good.

nothing like the look in the eyes of Mike ( al pacino) just seconds before killing solazzo and the police chief, amazing cinema moment for an amazing film.

Head in the Clouds (John Duigan, 2004)

The Dossier (Rikun Zhu, 2014)

The Glass Wall (Maxwell Shane, 1953)

Daisy [Leafie], a Hen Into the Wild (Oh Sung-Yoon, 2011)

A hen who escapes from a difficult life on a farm adopts an egg in the forest who turns out to be a duck. They love each other and find life in the wild to be equally dangerous.
Hustle and Heat aka Ride or Die (Craig Ross Jr., 2003)

The Prisoner of Swing (Roy Mack, 1938)

Dark Alibi (Phil Karlson, 1946)

Three the Hard Way (Gordon Parks Jr., 1974)

In order to thwart a neo-Nazi group’s plot to kill off all blacks, martial arts expert Jim Kelly, businessman Fred Williamson and record producer Jim Brown must step into action.
Mickey’s Rival (Wilfred Jackson, 1936)
+
Cut Out the Eyes (Xu Tong, 2014)
+
Lucky Devils (Ralph Ince, 1933)

Love & Mercy (Bill Pohlad, 2015)

Brian Wilson (Paul Dano) translates the sounds in his head through the studio recording process into the monumental Beach Boys' Pet Sounds album and “Good Vibrations” single, but later those sounds in his head will take a toll on his sanity.
The Phantom of Crestwood (J. Walter Ruben, 1932)
-
Men of America (Ralph Ince, 1932)
+
Meet the Baron (Walter Lang, 1933)
-
Anonymous (Roland Emmerich, 2011)

Young Queen Elizabeth I of England (Joely Richardson) has an affair with Edward de Vere (Jamie Campbell Bower), a brilliant writer the film purports to have written Shakepeare’s plays.
Vanessa: Her Love Story (William K. Howard, 1935)

Athletiquiz: What's Your I.Q.? No. 12 (No Director Listed, 1947)

6 Souls (Mårlind & Stein, 2010)

The Imposter (Bart Layton, 2012)
-

A docu about a missing Texas 13-year-old turning up in Spain three years later and returning home to his family. Here he’s in his bedroom at home, dark and covered up just as his story is.

Oh, What a Knight (1928) [short]
7.0 / 10
After falling into an alligator-infested moat, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit flies up to the castle to save his girlfriend Ortensia and fight Big Bad Pete

The Fox and the Hound (1981)
8.0 / 10
After being best friends as kids, Copper becomes a hunting dog and Tod finds a girlfriend, Vixey. Had been a real long time since i'd seen this. Think it's a bit underrated, good story about loss of innocence and life becoming complicated.
Oh no not my best friend Copper
He'll never change

Thru the Mirror (1936) [short]
7.0 / 10
Mickey enters a mirror world and leads a Fred Astaire dance number with a deck of cards, until the King of Hearts sees Mickey dancing with his Queen and gets jealous

Right,just some random stuff from watchlist that I finally got round to see:

Avengers: Age Of Ultron (2015) - I'm not a big fan of superhero films in general but I thought the idea was quite awesome, I enjoyed the effects as well.

Mallrats (1995) - decent film, not really the best of Kevin Smith but still entertaining.

Kirot (2009) - Just a silly action film

Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014) - it wasn't bad but I was expecting it to be better after all the praise. I like violence when it fits where in this case,I think it didn't..

Ex Machina (2015) - do you know when every once in a while some mystery director makes a small film with not very known cast and everyone ends up loving it? Well, that's the film. I think Oscar Isaac is a good actor in general and I hope he will show us more of his talent in the future. As for the film, it was really interesting, quite unpredictable and the ending was great! Loved the last scene with Nathan, so creepy. It didn't like the beginning of the film too much,the build up was a bit weird.

DOA: Dead or Alive (2006) - I really like this film! For me,it's like an alternative to Charlie's Angels I don't even know what game it's based on so I suppose not comparing makes it easier to enjoy it.

In the Loop (2009) - It's kind of like a modern Dr. Strangelove and I didn't really like the latter that much. I feel that all the talking and the ''madness'' mood was cool but when that's all what you see for the rest of the film, it gets kind of boring..

Get the Gringo (2012) - nice crime drama worth watching if you've seen all the famous crime films and want something little less known.

DOA: Dead or Alive (2006) - I really like this film! For me,it's like an alternative to Charlie's Angels I don't even know what game it's based on so I suppose not comparing makes it easier to enjoy it.
It's probably needless to say that I like this film, but I will anyway.

The Road to Victory (LeRoy Prinz, 1944)

Yellow Rock (Nick Vallelonga, 2011)

The Home Front (Frank Tashlin, 1943)

Broken Arrow (Delmer Daves, 1950)

Apache girl Debra Paget and unusual cowboy James Stewart meet and fall in love when he comes to Cochise (Jeff Chandler) to seek the beginnings of peace by allowing the U.S. mail to safely go through Apache territory.
About Elly (Asghar Farhadi, 2009)

Fighting Tools (Bob Clampett, 1943)

2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)

The Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy (Rafael Portillo & Manuel San Fernando, 1958)

The epic finale between the Mummy (Ángel Di Stefani) and the Robot (Adolfo Rojas) will most likely have you rolling with laughter if you’re still awake.
Tender Mercies (Bruce Beresford, 1983)
-
Egg and Stone (Huang Ji, 2012)
+
Thunderbolt (William Wyler & John Sturges, 1947)

The Memphis Belle: A Story of a Flying Fortress (William Wyler, 1944)

The film documents the 25th and final bombing run of Germany of the Memphis Belle as it faces attack from anti-aircraft guns on the ground and enemy fighters in the air.
Going Home (Chuck Jones, 1944)

The Fighting Lady (William Wyler & Edward Steichen, 1944)
-
Elephant Tales (Mario Andreacchio, 2006)

Devil in a Blue Dress (Carl Franklin, 1995)

Unemployed Denzel Washington takes a job searching for a woman and finds himself in the middle of a convoluted mystery, sometimes helped and sometimes hindered by his crazily-violent friend Don Cheadle.
People's Park (Libbie Dina Cohn & J.P. Sniadecki, 2012)

The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness (Mami Sunada, 2013)

Belle Starr (Irving Cummings, 1941)
+
My Bodyguard (Tony Bill, 1980)

Bullied high schooler Chris Makepeace tries to make friends with big, scary kid Adam Baldwin so that he will become his defender against the bullies, Matt Dillon being the chief one.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

My Bodyguard (Tony Bill, 1980)

Bullied high schooler Chris Makepeace tries to make friends with big, scary kid Adam Baldwin so that he will become his defender against the bullies, Matt Dillon being the chief one.

My Bodyguard was one of my favorite movies when I was younger.

The Gunfighter
(Harry King, 1950)

Deaths in the west are decided by milliseconds. Nobody is faster with a gun than Jimmy Ringo. Every town he visits, every saloon he enters, someone is waiting to challenge him. His reputation is as inescapable as his shadow. His legend a curse. To beat him is to become a legend in your own right. A lottery ticket stamped with a bullet, only the prize isn't money but notoriety. A loss, however, means an early grave. The Gunfighter is one of the best westerns I've ever seen, a potential new favorite, yet I knew nothing about it before sitting down to watch it. Why isn't this talked about in the same breath as High Noon and The Searchers and other iconic westerns of the decade? Gregory Peck is superb in the lead role. He possesses a rock star quality befitting of his character's mythological stature, yet the burden of his reputation is evident in the weariness of his eyes and shoulders. The coffins of his victims might as well be anchored around his neck. His life is constant provocation. Shoot or be shot. Kill or be killed. The movie's run-time feels like sand in an hourglass. In that sense, The Gunfighter reminds me very much of High Noon, only this film precedes and surpasses the Gary Cooper classic. Ringo stalls in a town hoping to see his wife and son while vengeance fast approaches. Behind every swinging saloon door awaits potential death. Maybe it's in the form of a cocky braggart eager to make a name for himself. Maybe it's in the form of an old man with a rifle seeking to avenge his son. The unrest swells. The tension rises. The Gunfighter is a nearly flawless film. The script is tight. The dialogue is excellent. The supporting cast give great performances -- Karl Malden and Millard Mitchell, in particular. The ending will punch you in the gut. Hopefully enough members will seek out this wonderful film before the 50's Countdown rolls around. It's certainly one of the best of the decade, western or otherwise.

Cut Bank
(Matt Shakman, 2015)

I hate seeing such a talented cast (Billy Bob Thornton, Bruce Dern, John Malkovich) go to waste in such a forgettable, poorly written, convoluted thriller. Quality-wise, the movie probably isn't as bad as my rating suggests, but I was bored to death.

Cloud Atlas
(Wachowski Siblings & Tom Tykwer, 2012)

An ambitious misfire. Like all anthologies, some segments are much better than others. The futuristic segments and the 70's-era thriller were my favorite parts. The decision to use the same actors in multiple roles was a mistake. I know that ties into the primary theme of the film, but it was too distracting with all the make-up and bad accents -- especially when actors are playing different genders and races. For a three-hour film, it moves quickly. I was worried that the mosaic storytelling would be confusing, but the film does a great job of juggling multiple storylines and time periods.

The Battle Wizard
(Pao Hsueh-li, 1977)

I've watched quite a few Shaw Brothers' films this summer, but this is the first one that featured kung-fu gorillas, fire-breathing wizards, people shooting lasers from their fingers, brother/sister romance and a villain with mechanical bird claws for feet. Our hero learns kung-fu by drinking the blood of a giant snake. This is a crazy, wacky film. I prefer my kung-fu a little more serious, but I can't deny that this was a pretty fun watch.

Mississippi Burning
(Alan Parker, 1988)

Regardless of your taste in cinema, it's hard to imagine anyone not being impacted by this film in some capacity. Powerful, captivating stuff. The performances are great, especially Gene Hackman, who was born to play these type of roles. Unlike a lot of movies that deal with racism, Mississippi Burning rarely feels heavy-handed, instead operating more as a crime thriller than a message film.

Castle in the Sky
(Hayao Miyazaki, 1986)

I'm afraid to ever say anything about anime or Miyazaki for fear of incurring the statistical wrath of Guaporense. This is only the fourth film I've seen from the celebrated animator. (The Castle of Cagliostro, Ponyo and Spirited Away are the others.) This is my least favorite so far, although I wasn't particularly head-over-heels for the others. I don't know why I have such a disconnect with his films. Castle in the Sky has a cool premise; the adventurous story is fast-paced; the world-building is great; the animation is impressive. Yet I never felt invested in anything that was happening on screen. The film finally started to capture my interest once the characters arrived at Laputa, but I had already spent the majority of the movie glancing at the clock.

Limelight
(Charlie Chaplin, 1952)

Limelight might be a little light on laughs, at least compared to Chaplin's usual standards, but it more than makes up for it with a ton of heart. An endearing, empowering, wonderfully well-written dramedy about a clown and a ballerina, love and redemption, performers and audiences, that feels intensely personal and autobiographical. This would've worked perfectly as Chaplin's swan song. Unfortunately, Limelight isn't without its flaws. The length could've been trimmed a bit. Some of the acting is overly melodramatic and Chaplin gets a bit too heavy-handed at times. Still, this is a delightful film. If you don't feel giddy at the sight of Chaplin and Keaton on screen together, you're not a film buff.

Chuck and Buck
(Miguel Arteta, 2000)

One of those cases where the movie I had envisioned in my head turned out to be nothing like the actual movie. I was hoping for something dark and creepy, which the film certainly is in parts, but instead of getting darker and more sinister as it goes along, the film steers in a more optimistic direction. That's not a criticism, but it certainly played a part in my increasing indifference. The low-budget aesthetic and reliance on extreme close-ups makes the film difficult to look at. Some of the performances are incredibly flat. Also: not enough suck and f*ck.

The Omega Man
(Boris Sagal, 1971)

This movie is totally racist toward albinos. Putting that aside, I enjoyed it -- even if a lot of that enjoyment came from making fun of it. I haven't seen The Last Man on Earth, but this is better than I Am Legend. Much like that movie, however, The Omega Man is at its best when it's just Charlton Heston hanging out with himself in a desolate city. My misanthropy always makes me envious of those scenes. I think it would be a lot of fun to have the world to myself for awhile.

Jawbreaker
(Darren Stein, 1999)

Lately I've been experiencing a ton of nostalgia for the decade of my childhood, so the very 90's flavor of Jawbreaker probably helped me to enjoy it more than I should have. I could call the movie highly derivative, but instead I'll be nice and say that it wears its influences -- Clueless, Carrie and especially Heathers -- on its sleeve. It's always cool to see Pam Grier. I also got a kick out Marilyn Manson's quick cameo. Rose McGowan is a sex bomb. The dialogue was surprisingly good, even if none of it sounded natural coming out of the actresses' mouths.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
(Peter Jackson, 2014)

I know people make fun of The Return of the King for never knowing when to end, but I remember sitting in the theater a decade ago lapping up every second of it. Fast-forward to the present and I was checking the clock every few minutes while watching this final installment of the bloated Hobbit trilogy. These films just don't have the same magic. I did enjoy The Desolation of Smaug quite a bit. Maybe it's because I saw it on the big screen. Maybe it's because it covered all my favorite chapters in the book. Either way, An Unexpected Journey and The Battle of the Five Armies are a bit of a slog. With the former, it's because very little happens. With the latter, it's because too much happens. All three films contain moments of greatness, but there's just too much fat. This one contains a few cool action sequences, like Thorin battling Azog on the ice, but for the most part I just felt beaten down by CGI overload.

The Lord of the Rings
(Ralph Bakshi, 1978)

Unlike The Hobbit Trilogy, which suffered from the money-grabbing attempt to spread a small book into three epic-length films, this animated adaptation of The Lord of the Rings suffers from trying to cram too much story into one film. Everything is hurried and most of the characters are barely introduced. The rotoscoping gives an interesting look to certain scenes, but the animation is mostly dated and crude. I was annoyed that the director didn't wrap up the story. He glossed over so much of Tolkien's story that they might as well have slapped the ending on here instead of waiting for a sequel that never materialized. Just throw the damn ring in the volcano, Frodo!