Suspiria remake

Tools    

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Instead of ranting about it in several other threads, I thought I'd open a new one, after it looks almost inevitable that Dario Argento's infamous Suspiria will be receiving a remake in the very near future.

Luca Guadagnino revealed that he will be shooting a remake this winter, and that he hopes to work with some cast members that starred in his latest film The Biggest Splash that starred Tilda Swinton, Ralph Fiennes and Dakota Johnson. However, considering locations haven't even been set yet and we're well into September, I'm not sure they'd accept.

Dario Argento himself was contacted on an Italian radio show about the news, and he wasn't happy. He said the films are in different eras now and they'll consequently be very different anyway.
Back in 2008, when the director of Pineapple Express finally managed to secure the rights from Argento, he was quoted as saying that it didn't matter if this goes ahead, because it won't come close to his masterpiece... a bit arrogant, yes, but he certainly has a valid point.

However, this isn't the only remake in the works. An Italian-French production company are working with Argento himself in producing a 12 episode series, after they secured the rights to Suspiria De Profundis, the book that inspired the 1977 hit and its two sequels.
The intent is that it will run for multiple series, yet it's apparently been reported that this series is more reminiscent of Inferno and not Suspiria itself.

Going back to Guadagnino, he told Empire magazine this...

"[My version] is going to be set in Berlin in 1977. It’s going to be about the mother and the concept of motherhood and about the uncompromising force of motherhood. It’s going to be about finding your inner voice – the title is very evocative on these grounds.”

No cast members have been finalised yet. However, Natalie Portman and Isabelle Fuhrman were once cast to play the lead, Suzy Banyon, whilst Isabelle Huppert was at one point cast to play Alida Valli's character, Miss Tanner.

Please don't let this happen

I'm so used to remakes now that I don't care. It doesn't affect the original, really. The worst thing that could happen is we'll have a forgettable remake on our hands. The original will always live on. But the director seems talented, despite my having not seen his films. This means we could get a good remake. It's wishful thinking, but maybe that wish will come true. It's possible. I'm just saying it's possible!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I'm so used to remakes now that I don't care. It doesn't affect the original, really. The worst thing that could happen is we'll have a forgettable remake on our hands. The original will always live on. But the director seems talented, despite my having not seen his films. This means we could get a good remake. It's wishful thinking, but maybe that wish will come true. It's possible. I'm just saying it's possible!
It's going to be about being a mother though unless he means being a witch, but if he did, he probably would have been more explicit. Either way, the best thing about the witch was that we knew nothing about her, she had no reason for causing chaos, she was simply a sadist, who enjoyed killing young women for the sake of it, and they'll probably tragify her like they're doing with loads of villains at the moment i.e. Maleficent.

I think it's going to be awful, I can't see Argento letting him use the original soundtrack and they will not be able to top that, or even come close. The set designs will be nowhere as extravagant because it looks as though it would be fairly low budget should it go ahead, and technicolour doesn't exist any more, I can't see an outcome where this will be remotely as good as the original.

I don't understand why this is going to be remade either, it wasn't controversial upon its release like I Spit on Your Grave and unlike other horror remakes, I bet very very few people on the street would be able to recognise this film, I wish they'd leave it alone and think of something original

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Perhaps unsurprisingly, the news of the remake has been met by universally negative responses online, most of which accredit Argento and Goblin for the success of the original film, and that their absence, along with Luca's intentions for the film, will leave it as an absolute mess.

Also, Suspiria was even intended to be adapted into an anime series at one stage, but that, alongside every other single attempt to remake this, didn't get very far. Interestingly, David Gordon Green dropped out after years of stagnation because he said the legalities of the film meant it was impossible to get his version filmed and released, and he managed to gather quite a number of actors cast... so maybe it won't go ahead after all

Also, another Argento film, the 1975 hit Deep Red, that is often accredited as being Argento's only other masterpiece, was initially going to be remade by George A.Romero, but Dario himself quickly but an end to that possibility, refusing to let it be remade.

No other news has been released so far, but I'll keep you updated!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Not sure if this is true, it hasn't been reported in any news sites as of yet, however, it's all over Twitter now that Dakota Johnson is currently undergoing Ballet training for her next project with Luca Guadagnino...

Jessica Harper, a woman who has worked with Argento, Brian De Palma, Steven Spielberg and Woody Allen>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The woman leading the 50 shades trilogy is all I'll say on that matter

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Tilda Swinton has been confirmed as a member of the cast.

It'll be filmed in August 2016 now and will be released the following year, sometime during 2017. Other plans to remake this have made it just as far, and have even had completed casts yet still broke down, so there's still hope

I hope they have fun making the film and lots of people enjoy it. I'll boycott it myself though. I have no interest in remakes like this. While I didn't particularly like the original, it's still a piece of art that should be appreciated. Doing a remake to me feels more like exploitation than anything else.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
A prequel to Argento's '3 Mothers' trilogy directed by Guillermo del Toro, would be a better idea.
Wow, that would be a pretty brilliant idea but Argento's stubborn, the only person he'd allow to do this would be himself I think

I hope they have fun making the film and lots of people enjoy it. I'll boycott it myself though. I have no interest in remakes like this. While I didn't particularly like the original, it's still a piece of art that should be appreciated. Doing a remake to me feels more like exploitation than anything else.
I couldn't have worded it better myself
I don't have a problem with him wanting to make a film about witches, but do it based on your own merits and creativity, don't ride off the success and popularity of someone's else work though, I just find it wrong morally and professionally

Love the original film, has this dreaded atmosphere since the firsr scene u feel there is something wrong something horrible going on around in that german city. Absolutely greatly delivered and the horror scenes are so haunting. I always remember when the witch is sleeping in the same room snoring..

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Cast has been updated:

Dakota Johnson will be the lead
Mia Goth as Sara
Tilda Swinton as Madame Blanc
Angela Winkler as Miss Tanner

Chloe Moretz will also appear, but her role hasn't been announced. Jessica Harper will also appear in the remake, although obviously in a different role

Yknow, this will being more attention to the original film than if they never attempted to remake it. Suspiria is nowhere near as well known as it deserves to be.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Yknow, this will being more attention to the original film than if they never attempted to remake it. Suspiria is nowhere near as well known as it deserves to be.
Dare I say it, but now I've seen the cast, and I know Jessica Harper and Tilda Swinton are going to be in it... I'm actually looking forward to it now as they say, imitation is the greatest form of flattery!

I really don't care for Dakota Johnson or Chloe Moretz, though. Mia Goth hasn't done much either, but it wasn't like the English dub of Stefania Casini was particularly good anyway

I'm interested to see what they'll do with the score, I don't know whether they'll have access to it, or if they'll have to make a completely new one. I know Argento will make their life hell if they want to use Goblin's though, he and Asia are totally set against this thing happening, and I can understand why since they had no say in it whatsoever.