The MoFo Beard Club

Tools    

I didn't know you shaved. Why did you? How long will it take to grow back?
I just wanted to clean up a little bit. Unfortunately, my new haircut would rock with a beard.

It shouldn't take too long, I already have a bit of the ol' stubbly stub growing in.

I just wanted to clean up a little bit. Unfortunately, my new haircut would rock with a beard.

It shouldn't take too long, I already have a bit of the ol' stubbly stub growing in.
Cool! Do share a photo. You know how much I like to nag for those.

Quarantine Beard:

Bit greyer than it used to be... and, the grey hairs are getting individually thicker.

I've briefly considered whether to let parts of the beard grow out for quarantine. I did grow it for like 4+ months a couple of years ago over the window. It looked okay at some of the longer lengths but at the end it looked weird, in part because it was different colors at different lengths.

It gets scratchy, though. I've got stuff for that but it's a lot easier to just keep it trimmed through all this, especially since it's warming up. Hm.

Nah...

Let it grow, let it grooow... the suntan will be awesaawwme!
I don't care, what they people say...
Shaved chins are girly anyway...

Well, I don't really shave. But last year I started going with a really short beard and I found it suits me. Here's what I looked like briefly a couple of winters okay, though, as I started to finally shave it off:

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I've briefly considered whether to let parts of the beard grow out for quarantine. I did grow it for like 4+ months a couple of years ago over the window. It looked okay at some of the longer lengths but at the end it looked weird, in part because it was different colors at different lengths.

It gets scratchy, though. I've got stuff for that but it's a lot easier to just keep it trimmed through all this, especially since it's warming up. Hm.
If you wait a bit after the itchy period, it becomes quite comfortable.

Yeah, I got past that, mostly because of some beard balm (which is what I was referring to with "I've got stuff for that"). But it was still more work than keeping it close-shaven.

That seems to be the order of difficulty: a short beard is probably the least amount of work, except for a crazy long one, like a year-plus. Anything short of that is more work. And really properly clean-shaven is the most work.

So, I think short of a crazy wizard beard, I'm not-coincidentally doing the thing that generates the least work and the most comfort. Lucky me it works for me, and kinda happens to be the style anyway. Low-effort stuff seems to be becoming the style everywhere.

I shaved my beard off completely a couple of weeks ago at the start of isolation but seeing as I think we're going to be in it for a while now I might try growing it again and see how long I can get it.

Here's a photo of me from last year at a shortish length where I quite liked it. I was celebrating my birthday and one year work anniversary at the time.

From this female POV, this guy looks great. I think a beard should be short & well-groomed.

Silly question: if a guy grows a beard, does he grow his mustache also? Can one have a beard without the tache?

Yeah, for sure, but the "chinstrap" thing looks odd sometimes. I almost don't even count it as a mustache if it links up with the whole rest of the beard. When I think "mustache," I think hair above the lip that's separate from the rest. Which is pretty rare, all things considered.

Anyway, I go shorter than that guy, but I think what looks best depends on your jaw/chin. For some people it makes sense to give it a clearly defined edge, but if you have that anyway I think it looks better to just have it short.

Thanks @Yoda. This kind of thing looks horrid. Always getting into one’s food & drink. So icky.

Yeah, for sure, but the "chinstrap" thing looks odd sometimes. I almost don't even count it as a mustache if it links up with the whole rest of the beard. When I think "mustache," I think hair above the lip that's separate from the rest. Which is pretty rare, all things considered.
So right now I’m watching a French movie & the guy has a nice short beard. But his tache doesn’t connect with the beard & this doesn’t look right. (Never noticed these things before.)

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
beards huh.
i have one, more or less. i can never get it to fill out though; and as thin as it can be it doesn't help that it grows kind of wildly. maybe 8 years ago i grew the thing out long. 3 - 4" was long for me. like Yoda noted, the longer it is the more manageable it is. at least that was the case for me. creams, wax, whatever, helped tame it with weight. i still had to keep the mustache area trim as that, to me, was the hardest part to deal with, what with hairs constantly tickling my upper lip, getting into my mouth, raking food, etc. i think that was far worse and longer to deal with than the under-the-neck itch while waiting for things to fill out.

now i'm lazy. i just run a 5 or 7 guard over it all once a week to keep it relatively short. only problem i guess is that the shorter it is, the thinner it looks.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Well, I don't really shave. But last year I started going with a really short beard and I found it suits me. Here's what I looked like briefly a couple of winters okay, though, as I started to finally shave it off:

Based on the beard sizes, I assume that those pictures were taken at different times. Is that the only sweater you own?

Based on the beard sizes, I assume that those pictures were taken at different times. Is that the only sweater you own?

Those were all taken in a row. I grew it out, then decided to shave it, and figured I might as well stop and do in-between shots to see how they compare. Which isn't to say I don't wear that hoodie quite a lot at certain points in the year....but in this case it was all in a short period of time.