—— 1961 ——
One Hundred and
One Dalmatians

—— animation ——
DISNEY CLASSIC no.17

REWATCH
To be honest, I wasn’t a fan when I watched this
for the first time a few months ago...

The film felt whitewashed and spotted with problems, while being visually covered in a very rough animated style I wasn’t sure how to feel about. But with this revisit I felt like I could peel off the rough outer layer and finally notice the lovely little tale hidden underneath, which was a story so simple but full of character and familiar family entertainment. Somehow that accomplishment should be awarded with a medal, since the fundamental plot is centered around a cruel and devilish old hag who wants to kill, skin and wear little innocent puppies for the sake of her own twisted fashion statement…

If you ask me, this film is all about the atmosphere and the charm within these cute furry characters, while the rough animated style has enough character to carry both plot and pups from beginning to end. The human owners of the puppies and their parents are very likable as well, while the nanny is the perfect companion to make our heart warm enough to have it melt completely when we spot those little rascals. Disney also did a fantastic job when breathing life into each and every one of these puppies, which could easily be a problem due the fact that there are quite a few to say the least. But thankfully, they don’t form a hundred and one from the very start, so you do have some time to count, connect and recollect with all these pups before enough is enough. Our long lost puppies and their parents run into several interesting characters, who are all able to spot the paternal pain within the father and mothers eyes, coming from the eternal love for all those missing spots in their lives who are now gone.

Pongo and Perdita cannot seem to sniff their way to their lost pups, hope is nowhere to spot and their search is without luck but nevertheless heartfelt. The reason for that is because a certain someone definitely wasn’t out of luck and her hope has never been easier to spot, because this heartless woman named Cruella De Vil won’t have to knock on doors and present her finest puppy eyes anymore to have a chance of adopting these puppies – she simply knocks down doors while abducting the puppies instead. Well, actually, it is her two moronic minions who does all the dirty work for her, while De Vil knows damn well she should have done it all herself. Obviously, things don’t go as planned, when in the hands of a classic pair-up of a thick and thin imbecile in the vein of Disney tradition.

But there is also a wolf in sheep’s clothing among us, who is anything but tradition, which is of course, Cruella De Vil. What a character! This furious fur collector is so extremely intimidating, and when she tries to sound sweet she comes off as too sugary, with that oozing cigarette just adding to the bitter aftertaste of her presence. Her appearance is so perfectly designed, a woman dressed to kill in the finest of fur clothing, carrying her character on the outside, while underneath she is actually this empty soul who can break like a stick if she doesn’t wear her fake costume or drive her fancy car. When wanting to have “the cape of a superwoman”, she sets out on a mission to collect fur from little innocent puppies, but little does she know that those who are in fact suited to fit the fur like the tight glove on her skeletal hand, has the power to completely overrule her. Her black and white personality is ultimately fooled by dogs with a black and white perception, but it is just enough to cloud her judgment.

‘101 Dalmatians’ is a fun flick from Disney, which may not stand as the strongest of the bunch, but it has plenty of charm and heartwarming themes to satisfy the everyday viewer. It is nice and furry on the outside and even warmer on the inside, which may leave it without much depth, but this film doesn’t really need it nor does it aim for it. I can definitely find some flaws here and there, but I can also provide you with one hundred and two reasons to watch this film – it has one hundred and one charming Dalmatians and one hell of a crazy bitch. Enough said.

-

MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
total movie count ........... current day count
216 .......................... 227

June 14th

—— 2011 ——
HUGO
—— family ——
REWATCH

As far back as I can remember
I always wanted to be a clock mechanic

This heartwarming film called ‘Hugo’ is directed by Martin Scorsese, which is one hell of a turn around from what we usually see from this man. I mainly spot him in the company of criminals and gangs walking around on blood soaked floors with an underlying tension ready to blast off at any minute. I never thought I would see a family friendly Scorsese picture, which isn’t about shooting glocks but rather fixing clocks – here the term to “take care of” is no longer related to killing, what is that about! But with that said, the atmosphere and style doesn’t take much effort to adapt to. Scorsese has done a fine job directing from the highchair, though I don’t think this was as great as plenty of casual movie-goers and masterful committees made it out to be…

This film won an Oscar for best cinematography, which I don’t think it particularly deserved, since much of it was done with computer-generated effects and the overall look was this warmly hued comfort zone that we have seen many times before. It isn’t just the fact that it won, but more so that ‘The Tree of Life’ lost. That was a movie made with much greater visual skill, but somehow it ended up losing to the critic and audience favorite auteur picture. Actually, I do agree that the best thing about this film is also the reason the Oscar committee loved it so much; the fact that it is about the expression of art and cinema history, which is something these voters always love. Still, it is by far the best thing about the film, I loved how the movie dug deep into the core of creative art and the actual creation of it. How Scorsese shined a light on the importance of those early works and I loved how he blended old archive footage and new scenes together, almost seamlessly.

The main storyline generally bores me, though I did like the almost fairytale elements to the film and the classic adventure references about destiny, hope and accomplishment. Everything else is just too undeveloped and overly fundamental, the audience have to wait until the cinema elements enter the scene, before the movie begins to feel deeper and more passionately put together. Apart from that it is just too sweet and too swift with no weight whatsoever and most of the characters are caricatures without a genuine human soul. Obviously it worked great for kids that way, while the parents will enjoy the cinema aspect of it, but I personally didn’t care for much outside that. I think it was nicely done for what it was aiming for, but I hoped for a little more, especially considering how long it is. At least the 3D is mostly well done during the drier passages…

I have to return some videotapes.
I remember seeing Hugo once and enjoying it but at the time I had no idea who Scorsese was. Good review and I should get back to it!

Well you're basically saying "meh, it's an average movie... watch it only if you are bored and have nothing better to do with your time"
For this movie anything less than 4/5 is low

Well you're basically saying "meh, it's an average movie... watch it only if you are bored and have nothing better to do with your time"
For this movie anything less than 4/5 is low
I'm not saying that! I like the film for what it is and the cinema aspect is great, with the last third being the best about the film. 3/5 is a "fairly good" film for me, above average. But I did expect more from it.

I'm planning on watching Hugo at some point, just because it's Scorsese. I'm not expecting much but who knows.
It's not a bad film at all.

For the family film genre it's pretty much perfect. I would definitely say watch it.

MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
total movie count ........... current day count
224 .......................... 240

June 15th

—— 1963 ——
The
Sword
in the
Stone

—— animation ——
DISNEY CLASSIC no.18

REWATCH
Once again, Wolfgang Reiterman is the wizard behind the curtain
who brings yet another magical Disney tale to life

What stylistically separates this director from Disney's usual line of suspects is his tendency to use a rougher animated style, in which he combines Disney's soft and snug atmosphere with a very jagged and gritty look. The ‘off-point’ animation is not something that takes away from any of the magic within the film, however, but instead it awards the atmosphere with a whole lot of on-point personality and a distinctive artistic touch. Sometimes it just seems more fun to fumble around inside more peculiar paint strokes, rather than feeling trapped behind the polarized patterns of universal animation…

This film opens with a wizard named Merlin, sitting and waiting for a visitor who is supposed to drop by his little cabin sometime soon. That visitor happens to be a little boy called Arthur, who is destined to become a great man some day, though his appearance doesn’t look like much. Merlin wants to change this aspect of him and help him find his way in life, but before all the work begins, he offers Arthur something to drink. Here follows a fun little comedic scene with magical plates, pots and silverware assisting the two of them, with the help of a spell or two. There is one item in particular, a little cup of sugar, which pours teaspoon after teaspoon in Merlin’s cup when he forgets to say "when". Even with that scene to open the film, this actually isn’t your usual cup of tea from Disney. You might sense similarities, but things aren’t nearly as sweet or sugarcoated as some of their earlier works – especially the princess stuff. This is a story run on pure muscle and alpha power, delivering the perfect portrayal of the macho medieval times of man to man controversies and true male-bonding! And then of course, there is Arthur, who doesn’t seem to amount to anything. But that will soon change.

Thematically speaking, this movie is very much your usual Disney feature, filled with classic characters and familiar themes, that all follows a structurally recognizable story set in a freshly animated universe. Despite there really isn’t anything new about the life journey of a character, who is slowly finding his footing and discovering what he is destined for in life, it is still so much fun to watch because the animation is never dull and story almost never dubious. Reiterman swiftly controls the crazy scenario like the calm and controlled hand of a wizard, while casting out marvelous movie magic, leaving every viewer spellbound. The story feels so simple, but watching Merlin giving out educational lessons is never boring, despite feeling familiar at times. Disney was always about teaching children important stuff and implicitly implant lessons into their minds about the good and bad in life. But with that as a fundament, 'The Sword in the Stone' takes it up a notch by explicitly explaining many of its themes in a visual manner, putting the characters in someone else's shoes, furry feet or fishy fins. Whenever we see Arthur swim side by side with the dangers of the sea or fly above the skies with an eagle at his tail, you can’t help but have fun with it, although it never quite takes off the way you wish it did. The lessons of Merlin do drown themselves with the constant questioning and explaining, but it is easily something you can accept and forgive.

The place where it truly falls flat-nosed to the ground for me, is towards the end of the film. Here we see our main hero drop through the roof of another wizard, thereby stopping the story from rising through the roof in pure excellence –appearing instead to be stuck to the ground like Excalibur. I don't like the character of Madam Mim at all, since it seems like she was merely introduced to be Merlin's nemesis and archenemy, so that he could have someone or something to go up against as well. It makes for an interesting and inventive fight between the two, but the tone doesn’t really fit within the story, being too bloated and overly silly, while appearing split between different goals and genres that I just lose interest with time. Even though they do turn into dragons along the way, the movie begins to be running low on fumes by the end of it.

And in classic Disney style, they rush in to include a conclusion to their source material and try to "answer" they previous story elements, by having Arthur show his inner strength and character by pulling the sword from the stone. I have seen Disney do this before and I hate how they ***** on their source material by merely referencing it with names and nonsense for most of the time, until finally trying to weave things together when there is only a few minutes left. It feels desperate and dumb and the studio seems caught by the curse for a few films within their filmography. Sometimes it does succeed, but when it doesn't, it seems forced and failed. But I can't deny that I think this film stands on its own beside its source material and is overall a very entertaining film.

-

Disney never sticks to the true version of the stories, they are to dark for children. I haven't seen this in decades.

Disney never sticks to the true version of the stories, they are to dark for children. I haven't seen this in decades.
Yeah, most are probably too dark. But what I meant was more that they never even follow the basic stories. They create a random fairy tale and push in a few short references here and there, mosty just beginning and/or end. The rest is just another animation and they only label it differently.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Sword in the Stone, Snow White, The Rescuers, and Peter Pan are the four classics I haven't seen in awhile that I look forward to most.

Sword in the Stone, Snow White, The Rescuers, and Peter Pan are the four classics I haven't seen in awhile that I look forward to most.
Despite my criticisms of The Sword in the Stone I do really like it, as you can see by my rating and positive comments, only I used to like it more.

Snow White was a great rewatch for me, as you can see HERE by scrolling down. Still holds up very well.

The Rescuers happen to be a true personal favorite of mine and I find it criminally underrated. It's dark, but beautiful and I don't mind the dark and twisted universe

Peter Pan I liked as a kid but still kind of forgot about it. Then I rewatched it and loved it so much more than I remembered! My review is HERE if you haven't read it yet.

Thanks for checking in, raul! Hope you will like those rewatches when you see them!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Yeah, most are probably too dark. But what I meant was more that they never even follow the basic stories. They create a random fairy tale and push in a few short references here and there, mosty just beginning and/or end. The rest is just another animation and they only label it differently.
Yeah, some of the original Disney stories are really dark I think I remember The Little Mermaid and Sleeping Beauty being really bleak and sinister.

Good review though, although it's been years since I've seen this one! But I loved Sleeping Beauty and 101 Dalmations and I totally agree. Maleficent is the greatest villain Disney created, you should see her in the original Kingdom Hearts game, she's amazingly wicked in that.

Great reviews though, as per usual

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Great reviews of some classic Disney flicks from my childhood. Some of which I need to revisit again. Though, like Peter Pan, I always go back to. Same goes for Robin Hood, HUGE fan of that one. Just love the music in there by Roger Miller. Haven't seen Sword In The Stone since my early twenties.

And I remember Gunbuster and needing to see that, Gonna go and remedy that after reading your review and having been very curious from before.