Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

The big day finally came and went. Hard to imagine, but Turbo Kid was not as great as I thought it would be. The first 60 minutes of world building kinda drag, but the last 30 was what I was hoping the whole movie would be.

The synth soundtrack was great, flipping all of the switches that made me feel like a kid. The performances on a whole were good, Ironsides was actually the least impressive.

all aboard the hype train, next stop Black Mass

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Admiral: Roaring Currents (Korean)
++ A Truly Epic Film. And I hate to use "Epic" but that is EXACTLY what this move is. Telling the great tale of Admiral Yi facing off the Japanese Fleet to protect Korea. With the same gentleman who played Oldboy and a director who has already proven the ability to do a large scale battle movie in War of the Arrows, this is an incredible ride. ESPECIALLY the naval battle at the end.

Home
I don't know, it just seemed a little TOO pre-packaged, TOO saccharine, TOO "Hey, our Marketing says that Rihanna is a hoot and all the kids love that kooky Sheldon guy from Big Bang, so let's do an alien thing with a pre-teen who misses her mommy and we'll throw in a bunch of pop music in there and. . . BAM! Whaddya think?"

(COUNTLESS REWATCH) The Crow
*BRANDON Lee's swan song. Must of seen this at the theaters around 10 times when it first came out.

*(Thanks Honeykid for the correction! I had put Jason -- silly, silly me)

Savages
An Oliver Stone flick that didn't get lost in the acid trip while retaining all the tense grittiness of past movies. Well acted, damn fine script.

Having Wonderful Time (1938)
Like dadg stated: "Good, clean fun, but never boring."

Edward Scissorhands 9.5/10

Welcome to the human race...
Candy -

I'm starting to wonder if the "seen one, seen 'em all" maxim applies to the entire sub-genre of dramas dedicated to heroin. Not even talented actors like Ledger or Rush do all that much to sell a fundamentally boring film.

Finished here. It's been fun.

The Long Voyage Home

Solid film from Ford, as I expected, although it doesn't quite excel in every area. The major strengths of this film are Ford's mastery with the camera and his humanistic depiction of human-beings. His films show the indomitable strength of the human spirit, but also the power of communities. Greg Toland's work as cinematographer is breathtaking; the opening sequence of the film has to be seen to believed. The final act of the film subverts expectations and delivers one of the more melancholic endings i've yet seen in a Ford film. The film certainly ended on a high note, the final image is quite haunting.

Thematically the film didn't do much for me, and I must admit the film did drag. The biggest problem for me though was the out of place humor. Ford can be a funny guy, but sometimes his humor just doesn't land. I think The Searchers is a terrific film, but the humor in that film was cringeworthy. I think that problem plagues this film as well, at least to me.

Overall, this is a solid entry in Ford's canon. Not his greatest film by any stretch of the imagination, but still a worthy one. Maybe my expectations were too high, considering the man made some of cinema's greatest masterpieces in films like How Green Was My Valley.

I watched A Taste of Cherry recently and I didn't really get the ending, what is the interpretation of some of you that have seen it. (You can PM me so that there isn't spoiler)

I watched A Taste of Cherry recently and I didn't really get the ending, what is the interpretation of some of you that have seen it. (You can PM me so that there isn't spoiler)
Is that your first Kiarostami film? Just wondering, I've not watched one atthis point.

Fast and Furious 7 - 10/10

Bob Le Flambeur (1956)

A less and so-so Melville flick. Definitely not near what I saw him accomplish with Le Samouraï.

+

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: 7.5/10

Good Morning (1959)

-

This is the first Ozu film I've seen that feature children in the story. I wasn't crazy about that aspect, and I much preferred the subplot, not that it wasn't done well, because it was. It's a good slice of life, but I didn't think it was as emotionally powerful as the other movies I've seen from this director.

Gran Torino (2008)

Clint Eastwood plays pretty much the coolest old guy ever. The development of the relationship between Walt Kowalski and the Hmong family was very well-done. This movie made me laugh more than a lot of comedies, Kowalski's witty, profanity-laden dialogue is hilarious. Even though the ending is pretty sad, the movie still found ways to make you laugh all the way to the end. Definitely worth a watch!

Highlander (1986)

Wow, quite the watch! In my opinion this was a wacky masterpiece. The acting, direction, fighting, dialogue, and many other things were quite "out there" but it was all pretty awesome in a way. The plot is definitely the best thing to me. It really isn't surprising that this spawned so many sequels and spin-offs. The opening scene (sword-fight in the MSG parking garage) is probably one of my favorite opening scenes in a film. Funny (unintentionally at some points) and epic.

Thanks! Yeah Highlander really seems to be a love it-hate it kind of film.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Yearning
+

My intro to Naruse left me very impressed. The movie packs an emotional punch, especially with it's ending. The film is quite heavy, full of powerful emotions, but I wouldn't call it melodramatic. Everything is conveyed through the little subtleties, especially facial glances. It's funny at times as well, giving some levity to the whole picture. The photography was magnificent as well. Can't wait to see more from Naruse in the future.

I watched two Naruse films last week (Late Chrysanthemums and When a Woman Ascends the Stairs) and thought they were both excellent. Similar thoughts, really great emotional dramas, but I liked the subtle human touches and sprinkles of comedy that made them feel real. Got Floating Clouds recorded too, then I'll check out some others eventually.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

From what I hear, the sequel is even better!

Gran Torino (2008)

Clint Eastwood plays pretty much the coolest old guy ever. The development of the relationship between Walt Kowalski and the Hmong family was very well-done. This movie made me laugh more than a lot of comedies, Kowalski's witty, profanity-laden dialogue is hilarious. Even though the ending is pretty sad, the movie still found ways to make you laugh all the way to the end. Definitely worth a watch!

Highlander (1986)

Wow, quite the watch! In my opinion this was a wacky masterpiece. The acting, direction, fighting, dialogue, and many other things were quite "out there" but it was all pretty awesome in a way. The plot is definitely the best thing to me. It really isn't surprising that this spawned so many sequels and spin-offs. The opening scene (sword-fight in the MSG parking garage) is probably one of my favorite opening scenes in a film. Funny (unintentionally at some points) and epic.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!