Jeepers Creepers

→ in
Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Went to go see this today with a few friends. Gotta say, I had higher hops. Much higher. The way it was advertised, it looked like a horror movie that was just going to be cheap scares. Like a movie that knew what it was and wasn't going go try and be anything else. A movie like that would have been scary. This wasn't scary. Overall, it was crap.

It started off pretty cool actually. The way it was done it seemed like it was trying to make the viewer feel like it was in real time. The car scene is done like your just watching two people drive along, as if you were there the entire time. The movie didn't really jump forward in time, which I guess was a good thing.

Some spoilers(not big ones)
The movie started off good. Two kids see a guy dumping bodies down a hole. Of course, for a dumb reason, they go to investigate.

The demon thing wasn't scary looking at all. The thing that annoyed me was that the movie was very promising, untill they showed the demons face, then it got worse and worse. The scenes were you saw it shilouted in the dark were much more intense than when you saw it close up. It looked like a man wearing a fat rubber suit. That's not scary.

They never explained anything in the movie. Where it came from, why it was doing this, what it actually was. None of that. They never even hinted at it. Which was stupid. They could of made up something. Said it was a demon raised from hell for whatever reason back in the day and hasn't died out or something. Anything would have been better than nothing. But nope, they left it completely open. It's not the kind of open like the ending to Apes was, its the kind of open where theres nothing to even wonder about, its just a big gap in the story.

The ending was stupid.

Overall this movie had soooooo much more potential. Sure it had a dumb name, but it had potential. Rent it sometime, don't go see it in the theater.

One good thing about though was that now I like Ghosts of Mars much more, havening seen this.

Aw S#*T not another DUD! I havent seen a good ghoul movie forever! I really wanted this to be good. Dam dam double dam! An now I hear The OTHERS isnt really scary either. Why doesnt someone do Lovecraft or somethin? All the demon thingies in his stories are like slithery disgustin lizard people who come from Beyond & theres always some evil Whatley person standin on a hill summoning them. Now those are COOL stories!!!!

Agree with OG--all the way. The Demon Thingie was better looking from far far away--like the next county. The rubber suit looks like something I'd made from a tire. They bungled this one good.

I don't think I'm going to see this. It just looks too silly. I prefer movies that require the capacity for abstract thought :::Ulysses Everett Mcgill voice:::

Originally posted by OG-
Went to go see this today with a few friends. Gotta say, I had higher hops. Much higher. The way it was advertised, it looked like a horror movie that was just going to be cheap scares. Like a movie that knew what it was and wasn't going go try and be anything else. A movie like that would have been scary. This wasn't scary. Overall, it was crap.

It started off pretty cool actually. The way it was done it seemed like it was trying to make the viewer feel like it was in real time. The car scene is done like your just watching two people drive along, as if you were there the entire time. The movie didn't really jump forward in time, which I guess was a good thing.

Some spoilers(not big ones)
The movie started off good. Two kids see a guy dumping bodies down a hole. Of course, for a dumb reason, they go to investigate.

The demon thing wasn't scary looking at all. The thing that annoyed me was that the movie was very promising, untill they showed the demons face, then it got worse and worse. The scenes were you saw it shilouted in the dark were much more intense than when you saw it close up. It looked like a man wearing a fat rubber suit. That's not scary.

They never explained anything in the movie. Where it came from, why it was doing this, what it actually was. None of that. They never even hinted at it. Which was stupid. They could of made up something. Said it was a demon raised from hell for whatever reason back in the day and hasn't died out or something. Anything would have been better than nothing. But nope, they left it completely open. It's not the kind of open like the ending to Apes was, its the kind of open where theres nothing to even wonder about, its just a big gap in the story.

The ending was stupid.

Overall this movie had soooooo much more potential. Sure it had a dumb name, but it had potential. Rent it sometime, don't go see it in the theater.

One good thing about though was that now I like Ghosts of Mars much more, havening seen this.

This might sound odd but I enjoyed Jeepers Creepers, yet I kinda agree with your post. I fully read it, thought through it, and pictured the movie along as I was doing so. The points you brought out make sense. Though, I as a constant moviegoer, I rarely (like 99.9% of the time) DO NOT read what critics say but since I am on MoFo, It's hard not to.

SPOILERS BELOW

ARGH! There is nothing worse than a wasted opportunity. Let me tell you, the first 30-40 minutes of this movie were GREAT. Scary, creepy, exciting, and interesting. I was loving it. It was sad, though, because I already knew it was going to end...it was all going to become stupid. And, sure enough, it did.

The truck: great. The brother and sister: great idea. No more stupid teenagers. These two are FAMILY, and they're decent people. The boy wants to help people...he's not driven by stupidity, or even necessarily curiousity...he just wants to survive, and help the people who might need his help.

Movie was fairly funny in some ways, too. Well acted by the brother and sister. The old lady didn't fit right. She really didn't.

The ending annoyed me. Let me put it this way: I've seen, and enjoyed, movies with the bad guy winning...but usually because I was impressed with the bad guy in some way. John Doe in Se7en was clever...he put that whole thing together, to precision, and even got away when they threw a wrench into things. I admired Doe's dedication to his clever plan.

This movie, however, was not clever in it's ending. The bad guy wasn't clever...he was just powerful/evil. I liked Se7en and The Usual Suspects...I got to think "Wow, I wish I were that clever." But NO ONE is going to think "Wow, I wish I had wings and was a bizarre people-eating creature." We can't identify with a POWERFUL villain...we can't admire them. We can only admire clever villains...we cannot imitate a powerful villain. We can only imitate a clever one.

Yet another movie with SO MUCH promise. If this had kept up the amazing pace it set in the first half, it would have been the best I've seen this year...but no, another missed opportunity. Crap.

Well, I WISH I had wings & was a bizarro people eatin creeture! Wings, huh?! WoW, the demon has wings! I think I wanna see this movie now becuz I love flying demon thingies.

Told you Chris!

Heres how I woulda have done it.(spoilerz i guess)

I would have done everything from the begining the same. Except instead of it being the demon driving the truck(howd it learn to drive and howd it get a custom license plate?) it would have been a man. The man would have been feeding the demon at the bottom of the pitt. The demon would have been some sort of thing from the past, or from hell or something, that had to keep being fed or it would come up and feed on its own. Everyone in the town would have known about, the kids would have somehow killed or maimed its feeder, so it is forced to come to the surface to feed on the town. The entire town would be angry at the two kids and all sorts of stuff could have happened from there. I'd of made the demon win in the end, but it wouldn't of been the ending they had.

I would of made the demon much more of a badass. He was a badass in the first half of the movie, then they showed him nekked and he looked like some predator-wannabe mixed with a bat. I wouldn't of given him wings, he'd of ran and jumped all over the place. I'd of changed the police station scene too. Like when the cop is looking down the stairwell for a while, and you know the demons coming from someway. Well one assumes it will leap from the stairs, but you realize since its obvious it could do that then its going to come from some other angle(like the top), I'd of made it come from the stairs. Like as soon as the guy turned to look back at the cops it would have jumped fast as crap up at the guy. Would of made everyone in the theater jump. I would of made the wall climbing sequence much better too. Instead of him walking on the wall like it was the ground(nothing special was holding him up), I would of had him come from much farther down the hallway(all you'd see is the shadow) then you'd hear loud crashes as it ran towards them at the side of the wall. Instead of just magically sticking to the side he'd be phyiscally forcing him self to the side, you'd see his claws dig into the wall and leave big gapping holes in them as he raced towards them.

That whole demon being fed by a town that wants to keep it a secret would of been awesome! And it would have elimated that old ladies character completely!!

But yes I agree, the first half was great. The highway scene, the falling in the pitt scene, and the catlady scene were all great. Then it just steadily got worse.

SPOILERS

Interesting. Would the "feeder" be killing people who were mean or something...IE: this creature is either going to kill whoever it finds, or I can, at least, kill evil people and feed them to it, or something? That would make us sympathize with the "feeder" a bit.

And yeah, I agree: should have been a man. Even if there was not feeder/demon, it should have been a man. If not a man, then something else that we never get a completely good look at.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by Steve N.
I prefer movies that require the capacity for abstract thought :::Ulysses Everett Mcgill voice:::
LOL...I know what ya mean Steve. I think O Brother has to be one of the most downplayed movies out there. It was predicted to do bad, but I can't stop watching it. Or at least I think it was predicted to do bad. Anyways, we only got 6 copies of it at work, and they are never in at the same time. Everyone that rents it has already seen it like 3 times.

Plus, people around my town or any small town for that matter. As long as its a podunk town with people that dont do much thinking(i live in one of those...punishment i guess)a movie such as oh what's a generic scary movie..well we'll just use this one...Jeepers Creepers. It probably scared the piss out of a dumbie(hopefully not offending anyone)

If a movie makes you think, then it is a good movie...even if its a comedy. Family Man is a thinking movie, which is also a comedy. I don't know why people are afraid of movies that require thought. Is the brain frazzled by the butter in the popcorn?? Do the Mike & Ikes render you helpless?? No, it could be a number of things that turn people off to movies that require thought. Very few movies do well in which deep thought is needed. Sixth Sense did great, Fight Club, I think did ok, I don't remember the numbers from it, Unbreakable, it's like people got stupid all of a sudden..."I thought I was gonna see another kid that could see dead people".

I don't even know why I'm talking about this here, but Steve's comment drove me to say this. As I have said before, are American's(or any other person in the world) lowering themselves to the IQ of a 3 year old...laughing at anything imaginable? What has happened to the way movies used to be made. True, the horror movie genre has never done very well. Very few, actually, have done good. They just lack too much to make it a movie that draws you in and then WAM!!! makes you jump a seat back. What they need to do is create a movie from a book that has a twist and a suspenseful grip in it. When they do this, it still probably wouldn't be good enough to enjoy, but who knows.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

The feeder would of gotten people who were mean. Criminals and such. Like if the man feeding it had been a priest, it would of made things so much more different. It would have given out the vibe that the demon was pure evil if a priest has to take people to it to feed it.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
Yet another movie with SO MUCH promise. If this had kept up the amazing pace it set in the first half, it would have been the best I've seen this year...but no, another missed opportunity. Crap.
It might have have good points and bad its bad points but the film being crap? Don't think so.

I didn't mean that it was crap...I said "crap" in frustration...as in, "crap, another missed opportunity." The second half, however, was crap. The amazing first half saved it from being a bad movie.

Like pretty much everyone in the theater when I went to see it, I thought that the first half-hour of the movie was gold. But then, withing the span of about ten minutes, the whole horror theme went to crap. One of the most obvious flaws of this movies is that they were showing us too much.

[might be considered a spoiler]

For example, when the demon is walking down the road, they show him for way to long. If anything he should have jumped his *** onto the body and taken it away before anyone knew what was going on. Instead, there he is walking down the road casually with plenty of time for the kids to get a good look, as well as to whistle a jaunty tune to himself.

Another problem with this movies is the apparent lack of sense that the two kids have. Whatever happened to the "I don't care about anyone, I'm getting the #### outta here attitude.' that normal people have. I mean, when you see someone, demon or otherwise, sucking the tounge out of a dismembered head, would you stick around to watch??

Also, I don't see why the girl was always driving the car so horribly. It IS supposed to be HER car. So why can't she seem to be able to shift this beast, even into first gear. Wouldn't it be logical that her brother, who has already been shown to have ample knowledge in driving a standard, would take the wheel.

For the "surprise" ending, i think the director took the "leave them wanting more" addage to new depths of stupidity. Everyone in the theater was wondering "why him?", "where is he?", "how did he get there?" and completes the full circle of crap from this movie.

I think this film is more on par for Made For TV.

well, first off i have to admit that i haven't seen the movie, and i probably won't. but i have a question for you guys. is jeepers creepers the best title they could come up with? have we reached a point where that's the scariest phrase left? what's next - golly gee, goshdarnit, or h-e-double hockey sticks?

It's because whenever they heard the song Jeepers Creepers, the demon was going to kill someone or something. Pretty lame.

I dunno, I like the title. Kind of classic sounding. Now, the tie-in with the song through the movie is indeed stupid, but the title itself, I like. Doesn't need to have any tie-in to the movie, in my opinion.

I'll have to admit that while the title of the movie was very good, the tie in to the movie was executed very poorly. Just for one thing they should have used the original song instead of that crappy Dolly Parton song.

One thing that I want to add on is that it seems that Hollywood, as well as the rest of the entertainment industry, is rapidly running out of names for their productions. I certainly never thought that I would see the day that a movie came out whose title was a single letter.

Actually, I think O is a decent title...better than "Spy Kids," at least. Oh, and I thought they did use the old-fashioned song? They only used the newer one (dunno if it was Parton...I guess it could have been) becaused there's no way they would have heard the older one on the radio like that.