The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I considered Red Angel for my list, but it didn't make it. I think it'd be ~30th.

Faces is a great film, too.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I've got three more films of mine to come and six which won't make the final 100.

What didn't place:

#11 Branded to Kill

I had no doubt about including a Seijun Suziki film for my list, and I settled on the one I figured had the best chance of making the countdown. Plus it stars a B-movie favorite Jo Shishido. Seijun Suziki was a B-movie filmmaker for Nikkatsu studios, who just wanted him to churn out safe genre pictures, but instead his films are full daring stylistic choices and cinematic flourishes that often take precedent over plot coherence or even logic. It’s his yakuza films where he really comes across as the most daring, and Branded to Kill is the culmination of his almost surreal mode of storytelling. Watch the video for a quick summation of Branded to Kill’s genius.

#12 The Americanization of Emily

What is heroism, what is cowardice, and what the heck is so glorious about war? It’s not just the anti-war themes that are ahead of its time, but the tone and method of delivery, which foreshadows the coming films of the 70s. James Garner gives an all-around terrific performance.

#17 X: The Man With the X-Ray Eyes

I get the feeling some people view this and come away with the impression it’s a flawed and clumsy A-picture, but in fact it’s a B-movie masterpiece, bursting with ideas and campy fun. Probably Ray Milland should have had better picks for lead roles than a Roger Corman film, but it’s lucky for us. And while the ending is great as is, I always project the phantom ending onto it: I can still see!

#22 Saturday Night and Sunday Morning

Albert Finney plays a young, restless factory worker who spends his time drinking, causing trouble, and juggling two relationships, one of them with a married woman. Saturday night is for letting loose and Sunday morning is for facing the consequences. “Don’t let the bastards grind you down.”

#23 Eyes Without a Face

A creepy, French thriller about a doctor, whose wife died and whose daughter’s face was disfigured in a car crash he was responsible for, now seeking to transplant another woman’s face onto his daughter’s. The face transplant scene is quite memorable.

#25 Father Goose

My one-pointer. It’s probably pure fluff, but it’s Cary Grant and I had to show my love for it. I think it might have played every Saturday morning for months at a time when I was a kid, and I never missed a chance to see it. Even today I’ll find myself whistling the theme song on occasion.

I have The Americanization of Emily on my list, too, Kaplan.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Lawrence of Arabia was my no.1, obviously. I've seen it on the big screen thrice; all three times I took people who had never seen it before.

I had 12 picks that didn't/won't make it.

Soy Cuba
The Face of Another
Morgan!
Inferno of First Love
Three Resurrected Drunkards
Japanese Summer: Double Suicide
The Profound Desire of the Gods
The Fearless Vampire Killers
The Color of Pomegranates
Make Mine Mink
Horus: Prince of the Sun
The Flim-Flam Man (made the one-pointers list)

The Color of Pomegranates
Weird thing Parajanov films didn't make it, but yeah... it's MoFo, what did you expect?

Weird thing Parajanov films didn't make it, but yeah... it's MoFo, what did you expect?
Yeah, I certainly didn't expect that one (or Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors, which made an earlier draft of my list) to make it. From my list, I've seen a few people laud The Face of Another lately so I thought that one might have a chance, but nope.

I have The Americanization of Emily on my list, too, Kaplan.
That's one of the films you gave me. I should have had that film on my list. I also forgot about Cul-de-sac. I voted for more horror, than anything else, like that's a shocker. Then I added a couple of corny films, that I liked when I was young. I knew the ones I truly loved, and added them quickly. After that . . . I dunno!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
My films that didn't make the cut:

#2 Plein Soleil

I thought this had a chance at the lower end of the list, I even bumped Army of Shadows down to #3 because I thought this needed the points more, but I guess that one point didn't make any difference. I nominated this in a recent hall of fame, which just goes to show that that doesn't always work in terms of getting more people to vote for a film (although Woman in the Dunes did quite well thanks to its HoF nomination). Purple Noon is a really entertaining thriller based on the Patricia Highsmith novel The Talented Mr Ripley, Alain Delon who is one of my favoirites and was in three of the films on my list is excellent as Tom Ripley.

#8 Funeral Parade of Roses

I thought this had a very outside chance of making 99 or 100 (Dong made the 90s list, after all). But fascinating as it is, even I couldn’t justify putting it any higher than 8th. A crazy film, very sixties, but not popular enough.

#9 Far From the Madding Crowd

I’m a bit sad that this isn’t more popular, it’s really very good. Especially Terence Stamp. An excellent adaptation of the novel about a woman who manages a farm and has three very different suitors.

#13 if...

This is a film I saw mentioned a bit in the run up to the countdown, so I thought it might have been on a few lists, but obviously not high enough on enough of them. I haven’t watched it in ages, so it ended up in the middle of my list.

#17 Doctor Zhivago

No, it’s not Lawrence of Arabia, but it’s still a gorgeous epic. It’s scenery might be more palatable than its story, I never really cared for the romance between the married doctor and Lara, but it’s full of memorable scenes.

#18 The Leather Boys

I fully expect to be the only person who voted for this. A Taste of Honey’s Rita Tushingham plays a young woman who gets married straight out of school, and the film follows the dreams and disappointments of her, her husband and his gay friend. It captures a whole different era of motorbikes and cafes and sixties hairdos.

#21 Rocco and his Brothers

The Leopard is probably better known and more popular but this film had more of an impact on me. It’s beautifully photographed, with a melodramatic and at times disturbing story about family loyalty and its limits. And Alain Delon is in it.

#23 Splendour in the Grass

I had heard of this film before, but decided to watch it when clips of it were used in a music video. The music video makes less sense having seen the film, but I liked the film. It’s a bit melodramatic and perhaps a bit dated - I think it says more about the sexual politics of the sixties than the era it’s supposedly set in - but it is full of lush colours and its impossible not to get drawn into the dramas of the characters anyway.

#24 Cleo From 5 to 7

This was one of the last films I added to the list. Another user had this as one of their all time favourites so I decided to watch it and I really liked it. It has a lot in common with a lot of the French new wave films, but doesn’t suffer from a lot of the things I dislike about films like A Bout de Souffle or Jules et Jim. I really love the song Sans Toi that Cleo sings half way through this film.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'm still holding out hope that 9 of my films will still make it.

Don't lose heart so easily, people!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Nope, we were told it's okay to reveal the ones that definitely didn't make it, but not what position we had the ones that will still show up.

Will post mine as well since most seem to be doing it, here's six of the films I voted for that haven't made/won't make the list:

Masculin Feminin (1966)
Easily my favorite Godard, even if for a while I gave that title to Vivre sa Vie, which I thought for sure would make it. Bergman described this movie and Godard as "mind-numbingly boring", which convinces me even more that this is a film made for young people, and the perfect movie for those around the age of the characters, so it's not surprising that Bergman didn't get it.

Hour of the Wolf (1968)
Three Bergmans made it, one of which was on my list (Through a Glass Darkly), but the other two (Persona, The Virgin Spring) weren't. This was my highest ranked Bergman and it's my favorite. I'm sad it didn't make it, but I know a lot of people here like it.

The Exterminating Angel (1962)
One of Bunuel's must surreal and disturbing pictures, I'm surprised Viridiana made the list and this didn't.

La Chinoise (1967)
Three Godard films made it and I voted for one of them (Contempt), but three others I voted for didn't. Being a fan of Jean-Pierre Leaud (who is one of cinema's coolest hipsters) and Godard's typical unconventional style, it just tickled me in all the right places. Like Masculin Feminin I consider it one of those great time capsule films that capture a time period and mood perfectly. The humor is dark and delicious.

Medium Cool (1969)
Directed by Haskell Wexler (cinematographer for Days of Heaven, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf) and shot in documentary style, it's one of the more interesting films I've seen about media/journalism, combining fiction and non-fiction almost flawlessly.

Vivre sa Vie (1962)
I realize I'm not the only one to vote for it, I thought it definitely would make it otherwise I'd have placed it higher.

this is the trophy the #1 1960's movie wins

The Palm: Sergeant Pepper's Flower Chalice of Unity & Love

Or actually, maybe The Palm Chalice, for short, can be awarded to something else that didn't even make the countdown. We'll need a committee, selected by Ðèstîñy

Both Funeral Parade of Roses and Rocco and his Brothers are incredible films!

this is the trophy the #1 1960's movie wins

The Palm: Sergeant Pepper's Flower Chalice of Unity & Love

Or actually, maybe The Palm Chalice, for short, can be awarded to something else that didn't even make the countdown. We'll need a committee, selected by Ðèstîñy
I understand the trophy for predicting top 10 is Barbarella?

My films that didn't make the cut:
#9 Far From the Madding Crowd
I’m a bit sad that this isn’t more popular, it’s really very good. Especially Terence Stamp. An excellent adaptation of the novel about a woman who manages a farm and has three very different suitors.

#21 Rocco and his Brothers

The Leopard is probably better known and more popular but this film had more of an impact on me. It’s beautifully photographed, with a melodramatic and at times disturbing story about family loyalty and its limits. And Alain Delon is in it.

#24 Cleo From 5 to 7
This was one of the last films I added to the list. Another user had this as one of their all time favourites so I decided to watch it and I really liked it. It has a lot in common with a lot of the French new wave films, but doesn’t suffer from a lot of the things I dislike about films like A Bout de Souffle or Jules et Jim. I really love the song Sans Toi that Cleo sings half way through this film.
I love Far from the Madding Crowd, but couldn't quite find room for it on my list. Same with Rocco and His Brothers, which is wonderful. I did have Agnès Varda's Cléo from 5 to 7 on my list, though I fear we may have been the only two votes it got.