Martin Scorsese, super genius

Tools    

I can't even describe how much I'm looking forward to this new project. I hope they find another good lead actor for the role of the architect. I wonder who'd be a good fit...

Truly can't wait for this, I'm hoping this is what he goes for after Silence. While I'd like to see Deniro and Pacino together again especially under someone like Scorcese after that awful Righteous Kill . I'm not that looking forward to I Heard You Paint Houses,I've read the book and while an interesting read it is most likely bs, not to mention I think Marty should be done with mob films by now. I'm somewhat familiar with H.H.Holmes after watching a doc about him and reading some, horrific story, should be great. I'm actually thinking about buying the book now this has been announced.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
While other great Directors of yester year slip into mediocrity (Spielberg, Scott, Mann) with their very underwhelming recent efforts Martin Scorsese continues to not just made good but truly GREAT films.

Martin Scorsese I salute you sir, please continue. Super Genius confirmed.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Martin Scorsese is making a film about a Victorian era serial killer.....I am so excited about this. In a way, is that kind of morbid to say that I am "excited" about this happening - considering the topic, of course?

The book was fantastic. So, since he is the one directing, I am fully expecting the film to be, too.

Still no release date announced nor even a trailer for Silence, which is in post-production, but it is looking like it will almost certainly be a 2016 release and not done in time for awards contention, this year. That would probably mean a Cannes debut and competition in May.

The next bit of directing that will likely make its way to the public before Silence is the upcoming HBO series "Vinyl". Scorsese and Mick Jagger are producing this look at a fictional NYC record executive in the 1970s dealing with the music, excesses, and chaos of that era. It stars Bobby Cannavale and Olivia Wilde. As with the HBO series "Boardwalk Empire", Scorsese has directed the pilot episode. No firm release date, yet, only 2016, but there is a teaser trailer...

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I wouldn't say that Scorsese's latest films have been great, they're decent but in my opinion his earlier work before the 2000's was much better. Still looking forward to this though.

I wouldn't say that Scorsese's latest films have been great, they're decent but in my opinion his earlier work before the 2000's was much better. Still looking forward to this though.
You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I don't believe Scorsese's later period will be seen as significantly weaker than other parts of his career by people in the future. Hist post-2000 filmography consists of very respectable pieces of work. He still creates great cinema.

Gangs of New York - May be a bit too ambitious in the end, but it never fails completely. Still cinema of the highest order, in my opinion.

The Aviator - Gorgeous and intelligent film that knows exactly how to elegantly tell its interesting bio story. One of the best of its decade.

The Departed - In my opinion not one of Scorsese's best, but the film is still full of energy and suspense. Great filmmaking.

Shutter Island - Well directed psychological horror. Great ride and remarkably rewatchable, despite the "twist ending" (and the clever potential twist-twist).

Hugo - Lovely and warm family film that also showcases how well Scorsese masters the art of (digital) cinema.

The Wolf of Wall Street - One of the very best films of the current decade so far and instantly iconic.

His next two projects, Silence and The Devil in the White City also look promising.
His most recent films may not be as good as Goodfellas, Taxi Driver or Raging Bull, but they certainly don't demonstrate a clear decline in quality compared to his overall filmography, in my opinion, and I think they'll be referred to largely favorably (and certainly without any kind of disdain) in the future.

And his recent films are far superior to his fellow Movie Brats recent films. Scorsese continues to have fantastic films even well into his old age. Hence why he is the master.
100% true.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Gangs of New York is great and Hugo delightful, The Aviator is just weak.
The Aviator is the second best of that whole set that I've seen. Definitely not weak.

The Aviator is the second best of that whole set that I've seen. Definitely not weak.
It's easily the weakest in that set and one of Scorsese's worst. A solid DiCaprio performance aside, it's one of the more drab and lackluster films he made, whichever way you look at it

The Aviator rules. Of course it's not a timeless masterpiece like Gunbuster or Taxi Driver but it's far above typical [Hollywood] movies.
Gunbuster?!? Did you mean...I don't know, maybe GoodFellas? I am honestly stumped at what Gunbuster could be? You truly do have Anime on the brain. I think they have an operation to fix that, now.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
It's easily the weakest in that set and one of Scorsese's worst. A solid DiCaprio performance aside, it's one of the more drab and lackluster films he made, whichever way you look at it
Hugo and Shutter Island are both weaker efforts from Scorsese. Those are some of his lower tier films.

I believe the larger point was that no matter what you think of Gangs of New York, The Aviator, The Departed, Shutter Island, Hugo, and The Wolf of Wall Street and where they may fall on his own amazing filmography, compared to his contemporaries such as Brian DePalma, Francis Ford Coppola, and George Lucas, he is making monumentally better pictures than they are, when they even bother to make a movie, these days. Spielberg is the only other of that group who came to the fore in the early 1970s that is still making worthwhile cinema, though for my money if you compare Marty and Stevie in their 21st Century efforts (which for Spielberg means A.I., Minority Report, Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal, War of the Worlds, Munich, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, The Adventures of Tintin, Warhorse, and Lincoln), whichever two of Scorsese's that for your taste you want to pick out as the weakest, I think any two of them are miles above The Terminal and Crystal Skull. For starters.

I've seen all of those except The Aviator, and I never said his films weren't very good films, I think they're a lot better than the majority of films these days, but I wouldn't call any of those films 'masterpieces' like I would the likes of Taxi Driver and Goodfellas. The Wolf of Wall Street is a really good and enjoyable film but I wouldn't say it's brilliant or iconic. I'm not saying I don't like his films or that he isn't still a great director but I think there is a big gap between a great film and a masterpiece, his recent films have been good but in my opinion not exactly brilliant, when people think of Scorsese I think they're a lot more familiar with some of his older stuff because they are really great films that people will always remember, whereas none of those films really stick in my mind as great films, very good but not great, I mean are you really going to remember Hugo or The Departed for years to come? I know I won't. The Wolf of Wall Street I may remember and think quite a few people will remember but in my opinion it's nothing special. Really didn't like Gangs of New York but you can't enjoy every film. This still doesn't stop me being a big Scorsese fan and I agree he's done really well not to go really far downhill like some other directors, but none of his newer films have left me with that feeling you get after watching a brilliant film, this doesn't stop me from getting excited when he releases new films though.

Gunbuster?!? Did you mean...I don't know, maybe GoodFellas? I am honestly stumped at what Gunbuster could be? You truly do have Anime on the brain. I think they have an operation to fix that, now.
Thanks for being so nice to me. I really appreciate it.

Yep, I cited Gunbuster to see how someone would react. Just playing around. I didn't expect for you to take it personal and be so aggressive just because I have an appreciation of the artistic medium of animation besides Hollywood.

Must vent out this aggression, so instead of watching Hollywood should listen to some Krisiun:

I believe the larger point was that no matter what you think of Gangs of New York, The Aviator, The Departed, Shutter Island, Hugo, and The Wolf of Wall Street and where they may fall on his own amazing filmography, compared to his contemporaries such as Brian DePalma, Francis Ford Coppola, and George Lucas, he is making monumentally better pictures than they are, when they even bother to make a movie, these days. Spielberg is the only other of that group who came to the fore in the early 1970s that is still making worthwhile cinema, though for my money if you compare Marty and Stevie in their 21st Century efforts (which for Spielberg means A.I., Minority Report, Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal, War of the Worlds, Munich, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, The Adventures of Tintin, Warhorse, and Lincoln), whichever two of Scorsese's that for your taste you want to pick out as the weakest, I think any two of them are miles above The Terminal and Crystal Skull. For starters.
21st century output of well established directors? Miyazaki's set of Spirited Away, Howl's, Ponyo and Wind Rises are many kilometers above Gangs of New York, The Aviator, The Departed, Shutter Island and Hugo. Though you are right that Scorsese is indeed better than most other Hollywood directors working today. But perhaps competition in the already decadent Hollywood industry is not very tough. Well, among Hollywood guys, David Lynch made that movie in 2000 that's also pretty much better than anything Scorsese made after 2000. Also I don't care about how bad some movies a director made can be only about how many good ones he does so Crystal Skull may be bad but it's essentially the same as nothing if Spielberg did many other better movies in the 15 year period.