Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

This Must Be The Place
++ pretty damn sure that rating will go up upon future viewings of this. Sean Penn and the entire cast was splendid in this existential comedy.

(MULTIPLE WATCHES) The Patriot
Been quite a few years since seeing this and I was still caught up in it as I was years ago. It made me smile, laugh, cry, cheer and sigh and THAT my friends, is some serious quality movie time.

One of the few left from last year's watchlist and just showed up on Netflix. Not a bad movie. The premise is fine and Cotillard is very easy to watch. It just doesn't do a whole lot to engage, we are basically left just waiting to see how the vote goes. That's fine but it makes for stretches of pretty bland dialogue and little in the way of emotional engagement. Also, in those stretches I couldn't help thinking that these people are treating this more like $10,000 then $1,100. Just doesn't feel like it would be hard to get people to give up that amount of money for someone's livelihood, but maybe I have too much faith in humanity.

Care for some gopher?
The Hitch-Hiker (USA, 1953, Ida Lupino) -

Decent thriller. The soundtrack and the acting is great.

What is up with users on this site and Insurgent
What was the worst movie I've seen in 2015 is everyones' idea of an above average movie apparently

American Psycho

While you'd think the title "American Psycho" would tip me off, the bloody good violence caught me completely off guard and really showed off Bale in a terrifying and yet extremely entertaining light. Might watch it again sometime now that I've seen it, feel like its definitely a movie where you pick up more on the second watch. Only fault I'd give it would be the really ambiguous ending, which even for my tastes, left me craving for a little more.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to return some video tapes

Welcome to the human race...
A Most Violent Year -

Feels like it should be a lot better than it is.

The CGI is the same as the rest of the movies being made nowadays... It's almost in the point where its quality tells nothing about a good movie or not!
It never has. You're just getting older.

I have to return some videotapes.

American Psycho

While you'd think the title "American Psycho" would tip me off, the bloody good violence caught me completely off guard and really showed off Bale in a terrifying and yet extremely entertaining light. Might watch it again sometime now that I've seen it, feel like its definitely a movie where you pick up more on the second watch. Only fault I'd give it would be the really ambiguous ending, which even for my tastes, left me craving for a little more.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to return some video tapes

Beautiful in places and a film that can certainly be admired. I thought Portman was very good, as was Cassell, and Kunis played her part well enough but whilst the story pulled me in for the majority of it the ending left me feeling somewhat irritated by it's sheer implausiblity.
I thought the ending was the best part of the movie.

"Black Swan" (2010)

Black Swan (2010)
+

the ending left me feeling somewhat irritated by it's sheer implausiblity.
Well it's supposed to be this big dreamy wonderlandish ending in line with the characters' state of mind and her constant aim for perfection.

I don't think the ending could've been more perfect to be honest.

I have to return some videotapes.
Yeah, I get that - it's the manner in which it's accomplished that irritated me. Aside from her psychosis (which I thought was well managed) the film is set in reality ... the ending was hardly realistic.
It's kind of ambiguous from what I thought. I think that she embraced the Black Swan, and like in the end of the actual play..

WARNING: spoilers below
The Black Swan kills herself

Ghost in the Shell Arise 1-3 (2015)

A prequel to the later GitS films and TV series, it was first released as 5 movies and then released on TV as a 10 episode series. I finished watching the first 3 movies, they were pretty good so far. Specially in terms of art and animation have been pretty good, though not on the level of the finest anime shorts/feature lengths but well above standard TV quality. The plots of each of the movies are separate and very confusing in a way, though in the end of each movie they give a narration explain what happened. So far it's state of the art cyborg themed science fiction action.

Gladiator 2000- 85/100