CiCi's horror reviews!

→ in
Tools    

I have never seen either one, so I shall add them to the list right now! Thanks again!
You haven't? Shame on you!

Just kidding, I will very much look forward to your thoughts. Oh, and by the way, it's the 1986 Cronenberg directed 'The Fly' I'm referring to and not the 58 original.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
You haven't? Shame on you!

Just kidding, I will very much look forward to your thoughts. Oh, and by the way, it's the 1986 Cronenberg directed 'The Fly' I'm referring to and not the 58 original.
I didn't even know there was more than one version

Also, thank you very much @Kaplan for recommending Death Line, but, sadly, I can't find it anywhere, so for the time being, I'll have to skip that one and go straight to The Thing

MovieMed made a good shout above ^^... I recently bought The Fly on DVD, the box set with both the 1986 movie and the sequel with Eric Stoltz.
The sequel isn't that bad tbh. Not a patch on Cronenberg's original but still a half decent follow up.

Definitely worth a look, CiCi.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
MovieMed made a good shout above ^^... I recently bought The Fly on DVD, the box set with both the 1986 movie and the sequel with Eric Stoltz.
The sequel isn't that bad tbh. Not a patch on Cronenberg's original but still a half decent follow up.

Definitely worth a look, CiCi.
You've both piqued my curiosity I'll definitely check it out though

The Thing is brilliant as is The Shining. Do you watch foreign language films too? I like the original Japanese Ju-On The Grudge and Dark Water, they're more creepy which I like more than slashery ones

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
The Thing is brilliant as is The Shining. Do you watch foreign language films too? I like the original Japanese Ju-On The Grudge and Dark Water, they're more creepy which I like more than slashery ones
In the Mood For Love is my favourite film, you know that Christine! Haha, but seriously I adore foreign horror, my favourite horror is without a doubt Let the Right One In which, I think, is Swedish.

I think I've seen a TV movie prequel thing to Ju-On, it had an actress from Battle Royale in so I watched it but it wasn't so great, but I have heard superb things about the original Ju-On series, Film4 sometimes show it, so I'll have to look out for it!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Can't have one of these without The Omen (original not the remake) in my opinion. Also I think your take on Martyrs might be interesting.
I've seen a still from Martyrs and is freaking traumatising... so I'll definitely check it out! Especially considering France and Belgium keep on making brilliant horrors like Ils and Calvaire

Thanks very much everyone as well, when I started this, I never expected to get so many replies from so many different people!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
If you like foreign how about Sick Nurses as well
(I'll stop there, three from one person is more than enough I think)
Never heard of that one but it sounds amazing!
Also, I'm sorry, but I don't think I'll review The Omen I wasn't a fan of the original or the re-make, although the original did have its moments!

Can't have one of these without The Omen (original not the remake) in my opinion. Also I think your take on Martyrs might be interesting.
oh yeah The Omen, I love that film

CiCi, I like Let The Right One In too. What about The Devil's Backbone, have you seen that ? It's an excellent ghost story

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
oh yeah The Omen, I love that film

CiCi, I like Let The Right One In too. What about The Devil's Backbone, have you seen that ? It's an excellent ghost story
I've heard of it, but I'll get round to it definitely
Oh my god Christine, have you read the book? It's even more heartbreaking than the film!

That's fine, we are all ever so slightly different in our tastes.
Thanks! But the nanny at the beginning was really effective though

I've heard of it, but I'll get round to it definitely
Oh my god Christine, have you read the book? It's even more heartbreaking than the film!
I have read the book and yes it's a hell of a lot darker even than the film. Disturbing.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch

Well... I can't even begin to comprehend what the hell I just saw. It's most certainly not like anything I've seen before, and I doubt I'll see anything like it ever again (although it did remind me of Alien a little bit).

Anyway, the plot follows a dozen American scientists in the middle of Antarctica, their purposes for visiting are never explicitly revealed, although it can be presumed that they are there for Scientific purposes. But being hundreds of miles away from any other base, they are taken by surprise when a Norwegian crew approach their base, viciously hunting a dog. After the Norwegians chopper explodes and the sole, frenzied survivor is killed for shooting one of the crew, they take the "dog" in, where they realise that the specimen is far more deadly than they ever could have imagined.

Positives

The plot and narrative is so distinctly unique and so unbelievably apt and fitting for a horror film. Being unable to tell who has been infected due to the parasite's ability to perfectly replicate and imitate its victims inevitably allows us to understand how some characters completely collapse with the mental and emotional strain of being totally alone and unable to trust any of their peers, with their sense of hopelessness only being emphasised by the environment being one of the most desolate and lifeless places on Earth. Nevertheless, I feel as though credit largely falls on the writer of the original short story, a man named John Campbell Jr. However, the writer here, Bill Lancaster, did nevertheless include many original aspects that were just as effective and haunting.

The direction is superb as well, a tense atmosphere is created immediately, that is slowly enhanced throughout the first half of the film by the revelation of bloody axes, UFOs and the discovery of charred corpses that are too deformed to possibly be human. A sense of claustrophobia and discomfort also bubbles away underneath the surface due the large quantity of characters occupying such small amount of places, that simultaneously increases the tension. However, once it is revealed that the thing can perfectly emulate its victims, the whole film turns into a guessing game and you can't help but be as pre-cautious and suspicious as the characters in the film are. The death scenes are astounding as well, and are genuinely quite terrifying and shocking, and since they are spread out evenly throughout the film, we are given just enough time to recover from one ordeal before confronting the next one, that maintains a consistent level of fear. It's not difficult to see why this is John Carpenter's personal favourite out of all of his films, for his direction here is amongst his very best.

If you asked me to guess what year this film was produced in, I never would have said anything near the 1980s for the singular reason of the effects. They are absolutely sensational and manage to superbly create a sense of absolute terror and fear. Everything about their appearance and the awful ways they manage to contort themselves is petrifying. Also, the fact that they featured violence against dogs in the first half had my heart-breaking, I feel as though they definitely had some courage to stay true to the original story in that aspect, because I think most of us are more traumatised by the death of an animal over humans in all honesty.

The score is very simplistic, which is probably why it was Razzie nominated, although it works and is magnificently appropriate for the scenes it's paired with.

Negatives

The acting was nothing special, and neither was the dialogue in parts. Therefore, the film is a little slow in places, but due to the writing and direction, this isn't really a problem at all, considering both the performances and some of the dialogue is only mediocre at its worst.

I kind of feel this film suffers from the "too many cooks spoil the broth". I only memorised about three names by the end of the film, and it was difficult to keep track of what had happened to who, but after a while, you at least become accustomed to everyone's faces, so it's only a slight inconvenience, and this is used to Carpenter's advantage as described up above.

Also (this is a very subjective view) I wasn't too delighted about the fact that so so SO many questions are created but are then never answered. I could write a book that could contest War and Peace about all of the questions that I wanted answered but never were. However, in some regards, it just increases the mystery surrounding The Thing, and the fear of the unknown is certainly one of the many fears that this film manipulates.

Conclusion

An absolutely terrific addition to the horror genre by an array of talented film-makers. It is genuinely terrifying especially due to the pioneering effects. However, this film isn't a spectacular display of acting, but very few horror films are. Certain omissions may leave you a bit dissatisfied when the film does end, and it is a little tedious and dull in a very few places. So I can't give it a perfect score, but I'll give it the next best thing:

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Excellent review! I wrote a review of The Thing and came to many of the same conclusions that you did. I enjoyed reading it
That's so kind of you to say and I'll have to check it out!

I have to return some videotapes.
I promise I'll catch up on this soon! I absolutely loved The Thing and it might make an appearance on my next top films list.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I promise I'll catch up on this soon! I absolutely loved The Thing and it might make an appearance on my next top films list.
Don't worry about it , and it is superb, I wasn't really expecting it to be as good as it was. I still think I prefer Halloween though.

Surprisingly good review, CiCi (not that I didn't think you would write a good one, but didn't expect it to be this good )! This might actually be the first full review I've read by you, since it has either been movies I haven't seen or movies I didn't care for that you have reviewed. I love The Thing though and this review is great.

I love the structure in your reviews and you make it easy to get a your head around what you are trying to say throughout. I agree with most of what you said, but I personally thought the acting was good. And I don't think it was important to really get to know everyone and everything in this film either, but as you said you did understand it was to create more mystery and such, so you did understand the purpose of it. Try to really think about it though, would this film have been as good if everything was explained? It wouldn't make sense either, since we are supposed to believe the film and it would be odd if they knew everything about this alien lifeform straight away.

But anyways, great review once again, I will look forward to your reviews of my recommendations!