The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Steam Machines work. Kinda.

I hooked it up to my TV in the living room, set it to boot directly into Steam Big Picture mode, marvelled at how few (20%-ish) titles in my Steam library were 100% controller enabled then set about playing some of them from the comfort of my sofa.

A Steam Machine, yesterday.

The big problem is UI scaling. A PC game running on a 1080p monitor with me sitting a couple of feet from the screen is different to the same one running on a 42" 1080p TV with me sitting 10 feet away. Text in Witcher 3 is unreadable even with my newly 20-20 eyeballs so I can either sit closer to the screen (which kinda defeats the objective) or lower the resolution of the game.

Which kinda defeats the objective.

Something designed with console play foremost, like Skyrim, is fine - That awful UI finally begins to make sense although you still need a mouse to get past the initial options screen if you're not running through SKSE, a mod that isn't really on the radar of the typical 'plug and play' user that Steam want to capture.

Basically we need a 'TV' button where Gerald fabulously transforms into Ciri fonts are embiggened with the native resolution staying the same.

*EDIT* Maybe Iro would be up for putting everyone's gamertags in the OP?
Super good idea.

Am I WarningTrack on Steam? I think I am. Yeah, try that/add me. Leave a note if you can so I know who's who (I can never guess).

Super good idea.

Am I WarningTrack on Steam? I think I am. Yeah, try that/add me. Leave a note if you can so I know who's who (I can never guess).
You are WarningTrack on Steam although I've got no idea if that's your log-in name. I've been Tatty on Steam for years but my log-in (which you need to add someone, I think) is greenspagbol.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Sorry guys, I'm not a pc gamer...yet.

I was just commenting on the lost username/password glitch bug that affected some users.

Decided to move on from Witcher 3 with a game in much the same vein - Regency Solitaire!

Who (apart, presumably, from lonely people) doesn't love solitaire? It's even got loot!

It's legit interesting in its mechanics.

I really love sniper-esque gameplay; I played Skyrim and both Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas almost exclusively with ranged weapons. I like taking my time and mapping out a strategy and catching the enemies unawares. That said, I've been mostly disappointed with what I've played, read, or seen/heard about the games dedicated to it, like the Sniper Elite series.

This, however, looks quite promising:

By all accounts (never played them) the previous Ghost Warrior games were dog rough. This one's been getting some attention for the right reasons, though.

Based in the world of a movie or the movie itself?

Recently I'd say Middle earth: Shadow of Mordor for something which is based in a movie world (of a book ). For something more literally based on the movie, I dunno, most were pretty terrible. The Warriors?

What would you guys say the best game based on a movie? I'd say Aladdin for SNES, most Star Wars games, and most Batman games.
I never played Sega's Aladdin game. Most Batman games out now aren't based on any Batman films except for the previous versions which were all corny yet fun. The Arkham series based on the comics though, are the best of the best. Making Arkham Knight the ultimate of them all.

As for Star Wars, I'm anxious to play Star Wars: Battlefront which gets released later this year. As for best movie based video game??? I would have to say it's a tie between Ghostbusters: The Video Game for X-Box 360 and Blade Runner for the PC back in 1997. Way back before X-Box was introduced.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Good calls on Bladerunner and Shadow of Mordor, they def got the vibe right.

Some would put Goldeneye in there too, but not sure multiplayer maps really earn it the 'based on' criteria

The new Mad Max is looking promising, guess time will tell. Battlefront has my Frostbite engine whirring too, no doubt

For some reason what I'd really like is a 3rd Person revamp of the Flash Gordon flick, while Sydow is still with us, and liable to lower himself . Add some full Brian Blesed, in fact all the cast, (with Gordon very noticeably dubbed), and a load of garish pewpew and I'm totally in . Birdmen attacks, sneaking around palaces, hitting Timothy Dalton with a whip on a floating platform, flying blind on a rocketcycle. I'm not sure there's a market, but they should totally make it

I'd actually not mind owning a copy due to it's notoriety. Wonder how much the carts they dug up in the Nevada desert are fetching nowadays?

EDIT - The answer is £16 for a non-exhumed copy. Disappointingly cheap.

I'd actually not mind owning a copy due to it's notoriety. Wonder how much the carts they dug up in the Nevada desert are fetching nowadays?

EDIT - The answer is £16 for a non-exhumed copy. Disappointingly cheap.
The dug up copy actually sold for $1,500. But for a store bought copy, which you'd probably have to look hard I have no clue. Depends on the retailer I suppose. On Ebay the game was being sold in 2014 for $37,000 (£23k).

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Final Fantasy 7 Remake's Combat Will Feature 'Dramatic Changes,' Draw Inspiration From Advent Children

So long, Active Time Battle system.
By Alex OsbornSquare Enix's upcoming Final Fantasy VII Remake will feature "dramatic changes" to the game's combat system, director Tetsuya Nomura has confirmed.
While fans of the original's Active Time Battle system will likely be disappointed by this news, they can rest assured the sweeping changes won't render the remake completely unrecognizable.
"We’re not going to be changing it into a shooter or something like that," Nomura told Official PlayStation Magazine (via GamesRadar). "We are going to be bringing dramatic changes, but we want to make sure it’s still recognizable."
Nomura also mentioned the FFVII companion movie he directed back in 2005, noting that Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children will serve as a source of inspiration when designing the game's visuals. That said, they "don’t intend on utilizing the 3D models of Advent Children as is because, well, it’s a different technology, and it’s actually been almost ten years since Advent Children was first released."
Final Fantasy VII Remake was announced during Sony's E3 press conference for release on PlayStation 4. For more on Square's ambitious project, check out these 7 things we think the game needs.

copy pasta courtesy of IGN

This makes sense, even if I don't care for it. The more we hear, I think they are gonna try and "modernize" this as much as possible. I think all of the nostalgia gamers are gonna buy this regardless, then they can get their "pound of flesh" shredding SE if they don't like it.

I still have my backwards 80g PS3 that I could dig out, if worse comes to worse.