The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Le Trou was a very strong contender to make my list, excellent film. Ultimately it wasn't included but I had a feeling it'd show up here.

I haven't been able to make it through Mary Poppins since I was a child. I find a lot of it grating. I loved it when I was a kid though.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
*Checks this thread in the morning with great hope*

*Result: One i haven't heard of, one I simply dislike, except for that song*

*Leaves and sighs*

Ummm... I guess the next set will be better right? Daniel?
You too? *sighs*

Go watch The Hole!!!

Can't stand Mary Poppins. I watched Le Trou for the 5th Hall of Fame. Excellent film very simple yet incredibly gripping prison escape film. For whatever reason it never even crossed my mind, I would've just missed out anyway but it is odd that I forgot all about it.

Seen - 24/52
My List - 3/25

6.Army of Shadows
21.Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?
25.From Russia With Love

A system of cells interlinked
I just know another film I picked will show up soon...right?

Master of My Domain
I'm thinking Sound of Music and Easy Rider today.
Me too... so that the two won't be any higher.

While I like Le Trou, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and A Fistful of Dollars very much, none of them made my list. I chose four Westerns, none of which have appeared so far. However, I did have another of my titles, the third, named in the bottom fifty: Dick Lester's A Hard Day's Night, which I had as my number twenty-one pick. If you're a Beatles fan the movie is transcendent, but even if you don't really care for them or their music, it's a heck of a lot of infectious fun and Lester's editing and sense of humor are both influential and timeless, even if capturing a version of The Beatles just as Beatlemania struck was a very specific time and opportunity.

5. Army of Shadows (#58)
19. The Battle of Algiers (#69)
21. A Hard Day's Night (#53)

Looking at my remaining twenty-two picks and the way the first half of reveals have gone, I'd say a dozen of mine are sure things, another five are very probable, four are long shots, and one has absolutely zero chance. I'll be OK with between fifteen and twenty or so of mine making it.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I didn't see Mary Poppins until I was an adult but I still liked it. Yet, the latest trailer for it is my favorite Mary Poppins-anything.

The Breakdown...

Elmer Gantry

3x 1st (75 points), 5th (21 points), 6th (20 points), 13th (13 points), 18th (8 points), 2x 20th (12 points), 24th (2 points)

Spartacus

3rd (23 points), 7th (19 points), 9th (17 points), 10th (16 points), 3x 14th (36 points), 15th (11 points), 17th (9 points), 19th (7 points), 20th (6 points), 21st (5 points), 22nd (4 points), 25th (1 point)

Notes

Both films were the only to receive their respective amount of points so not tie breaking was needed.

I had Spartacus at 9.

It was the first epic I saw and is still one of my favorites. It was in my top 15 for a long time but just recently (a few months before I joined this forum) dropped dramatically in my favorites list.

101. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (4)
97. Seconds

93. Fail Safe

88. Jungle Book

87. From Russia With Love (11)
86. Blow Up

85. Italian Job (19)
84. Cape Fear

77. The Lion in Winter (3)
72. True Grit (23)
66. In the Heat of the Night (21)
57. Charade

53. A Hard Day's Night (25)
52. The Man who Shot Liberty Valance

51. A Fistful of Dollars

49. Mary Poppins (15)
47. Spartacus (9)

8/25 of my films

16/54 Overall

Elmer Gantry looks great. Probably a much better preacher movie than Hunt of the (Stupid) Hunter.