The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Breakdown...

An Autumn Afternoon

2nd (24 points), 6th (20 points), 10th (16 points), 2x 11th (30 points), 12th (14 points), 15th (11 points), 18th (8 points), 21st (5 points)

A Hard Day's Night

2x 3rd (46 points), 8th (18 points), 2x 9th (34 points), 15th (11 points), 16th (10 points), 18th (8 points), 21st (5 points), 24th (2 points), 25th (1 point)

Notes

Both films were the only to receive their respective amount of points so not tie breaking was needed.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I've yet to see "An Autumn Afternoon".

But I was one of the people who placed "A Hard Day's Night" at #3.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
My second favourite Ozu film from the 60's.

Didn't make my list, obviously.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The only thing about Ozu movies after seeing a few, is that after time passes, I have a hard time telling one from another. I know from my notes how much I enjoyed An Autumn Afternoon; I had it at #15.

I love The Beatles, and thoroughly enjoyed A Hard Day's Night, but I did not vote for it.

My list-

#2 Onibaba
#3 Contempt
#6 Hud
#11 Inherit the Wind
#15 An Autumn Afternoon
#22 The Battle of Algiers
#23 They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
There it is! An Autumn Afternoon! Such a great film, and I had it at number 12!

My list:
1. Top 5
2. Top 50
3. Top 10
4. Top 50
5. Top 50
6. Top 10
7. Top 10
8. The Virgin Spring
9. Lolita
10. L'Avventura
11. True Grit
12. An Autumn Afternoon
13. Will Not Make It
14. Will Not Make It
15. From Russia With Love
16. The Swimmer
17. Top 10
18. Top 50
19. Top 50
20. Top 50
21. Won't Make It, but should have
22. Top 20
23. May make it
24. No Chance
25. Top 5

So I've had 7 make it

An Autumn Afternoon is quite possibly my favourite Ozu film I've seen to date. That being said, my relationship with Ozu's work is fractured at best. I find myself appreciating the craftsmanship more than I do actually liking what I'm watching and as such I really can't say I "like" the vast majority of his work. There are many reasons for this, most of which would take far too many paragraphs to unpack and I just can't be bothered right now. All of which is my long winded way of saying An Autumn Afternoon wasn't on my list and neither was A Hard Days Night, which I haven't seen.

An Autumn Afternoon is a magnificent film and it was the first Ozu picture I ever watched. It was number 2 on my list!

Just to give everyone an idea of how much I love this film, this was my spontaneous reaction right after I saw it:

An Autumn Afternoon (1962)

I'm speechless. This film was simply brilliant. I've never seen anything remotely like it. It's so perfectly structured and yet completely refreshing the whole time. Man, what a film. I'm totally stunned.

I'm curious how I'll like Ozu's black and white films (the next film of his I'm going to watch is probably the famous Tokyo Story), because -besides the unsurpassed framing and the meticulously paced editing rythm- the use of colors in this film is one of the reasons why I loved this so much.

I also just really loved the story, the environment and the characters of this film. It's such a warm, rich, gentle, light, funny (I laughed quite a lot actually) and yet very melancholic film. I could barely hold back my tears anymore at the end. It's been a very long time since a film had such a profound effect on me.

After the film was over, I just stared at my screen and said "wow" a couple of times. Thank you, mr. Ozu. This film reminds me why I love cinema so much.

+++

Be sure to watch this film for the upcoming '60s list!
I'm very glad it made it so high (for an Ozu film) and I hope other people will be inspired by its placement on this list to give it a watch. Hopefully you'll be amazed by this film's beauty and spirit as much as I was.

My list so far:

2. An Autumn Afternoon (1962)
15. Late Autumn (1960)
16. The Swimmer (1968)
19. Blow-Up (1966)
21. Belle de Jour (1967)

My list thus far:

5. Black Sunday
6. Blow-Up
17. L'Avventura

Really wish I hadn't scrapped Repulsion.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
An Autumn Afternoon is the final film made by Ozu-san, and I'll just allow other fans to say what they want about the film and the man.

I'm happy the most about this next one so far because the last five films removed from my list really hurt, although I knew I wouldn't be giving them many points anyway. This was one of those five. From my Top 100:
#147: A Hard Day's Night (Richard Lester, 1964)

If anything, this film gains in significance and pleasure-inducement as each year passes by. Fans of the Beatles already have seen this film a gazillion times and know that all four of them were charming and humorous beyond belief. Not only were the Beatles meant to rule the radio airwaves, but for a brief time, thankfully recorded for posterity, they ruled the movies. This film, which is certainly as anarchic as a Marx Bros. classic and basically invented the music video, just lets the Beatles play themselves on frenetic tour during the crazy early Beatlemania days just after they had become a worldwide phenomenon. There is a semblance of a plot which helps because Paul's incredibly "clean" grandfather (Wilfrid Brambell) is hilarious, as well as their Mutt and Jeff team of "pseudo-managers" (Norman Rossington and John Junkin). Then, who can ever forget Victor Spinetti as the sweater-wearing TV producer/director who is positive that the Beatles will ruin his career even if "I won an award... "

American expatriate Lester had already directed a cute British musical omnibus flick called It's Trad, Dad!, which featured Chubby Checker, Gene Vincent, Del Shannon, Gary U.S. Bonds, etc., and then he made The Mouse on the Moon, the sequel to The Mouse That Roared, where he worked with Margaret Rutherford, Ron Moody and Terry-Thomas, but neither of those could prepare a viewer for how innovative he made A Hard Day's Night. Sometimes, the thing was downright lyrical (when Ringo takes a holiday), but more often it was utterly insane with visual and verbal jokes flying by at a staccato pace. The musical numbers were filmed from completely straightforward to manic. All the Beatles' personalities were allowed to shine through. For example, it's here where we first see Ringo shooting photographs, and Ringo was the photographer for the group, going so far as being the director of photography in their "home movie", Magical Mystery Tour. Lennon's infectious smile and black humor are on fine display, while Paul and George both get to be charming with a touch of menace and romanticism. In fact, the scene where George tears into a pompous forecaster (Kenneth Haigh) of teen trends is a special highlight. Plus, George's future wife Pattie Boyd (nicknamed "Layla" ) is in the flick as one of the girls whom McCartney comes onto on the train.

I'll admit that sometimes I feel a bit sad watching this wonderful film, but mainly it just makes me happy to be alive and have good taste in movies and music. HA!
None from my list so far.

A Hard Day's Night was on my list. Quite low down but it's a great film. Only seen it once though, that was recently, this year I've become obsessed with The Beatles and would regard them as my favourite band without a doubt. Hilarious and really clever film with so many fantastic moments, I can see it becoming a real favourite in the future.

Fourth from my list: An Autumn Afternoon at #11. Think it's probably my favourite Ozu, and I rank it high on my all-time list. The fact that it's #11 shows how much I admire the films of the sixties. People criticizing sixties films in general are whack.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I had A Hard Day's Night at #3. I love The Beatles, but you don't have to be a Beatles' fan to appreciate the movie. Its irrelevant wittiness and good-natured energy makes it an enjoyable ride for anybody who appreciates a fun time. I've seen it many, many times and I wanted to give it as many points as I dared. Wish it had cracked the top 50.

My List:

3. A Hard Day's Night (#53)
21. Andrei Rublev (#55)