Cole's Film Reviews

→ in
Tools    

I have to return some videotapes.
No shame in that. What do you think your next review will be?
Not really sure. The Prestige just came in the mail so maybe that. Sometimes after watching a movie it's hard for me to write one. It just depends.

Not really sure. The Prestige just came in the mail so maybe that. Sometimes after watching a movie it's hard for me to write one. It just depends.
I feel the same. But I found out what benefit my reviews and eventually helps me complete them faster, is if I quickly grab my phone and write a few notes in hurry, just the thougts that pop into my head. That takes like 2-3 minutes, and though I don't always feel like it, it's very awarding and helpful, since I have a base when I start writing, and have a few points to start on. Like, if I wrote, "ending was weak. Main character was out of character. Build-up sucked. Music was good though" then I have a litte something which can help my memory and make me expand this into 1-2 paragepraphs.

It's also a great thing to have a main focus in your review, like with my Pirates review I really wanted explain how well it did the adventure genre, then I had a string to follow throughout.

Anyways, hope some of this helps, I look forward to your next review bro. I really enjoyed your Inception review!

I feel the same. But I found out what benefit my reviews and eventually helps me complete them faster, is if I quickly grab my phone and write a few notes in hurry, just the thougts that pop into my head. That takes like 2-3 minutes, and though I don't always feel like it, it's very awarding and helpful, since I have a base when I start writing, and have a few points to start on. Like, if I wrote, "ending was weak. Main character was out of character. Build-up sucked. Music was good though" then I have a litte something which can help my memory and make me expand this into 1-2 paragepraphs.

It's also a great thing to have a main focus in your review, like with my Pirates review I really wanted explain how well it did the adventure genre, then I had a string to follow throughout.

Anyways, hope some of this helps, I look forward to your next review bro. I really enjoyed your Inception review!
Thanks for the tips, I will definitely do that because sometimes I do forget the tiny details I liked/disliked in a movie.

Also, I am going to see Southpaw tomorrow so maybe a review on that.

There has also been another thing that's bugging me. I don't really have a system for grading, but I feel like it would be so much easier for me to have one. Usually I will go with my gut, but I can be biased sometimes and be like "Oh, it's a [insert director/actor here] movie... I should bump it half a pop" without really thinking about it. I saw Rodent graded a movie by CGI, Characters, Plot, etc. but didn't see the whole thing.

Great to hear! Good thing is that you don't have to write it on the day if you make some good notes. Then you can do it the next day or whatever.
I had some trouble with that after watching "City of God". I absolutely loved it but I was like 2 paragraphs in and drew a complete blank. I didn't really have anything else to write about because I forgot all the small details.

This is my first time ever visiting this thread. I enjoyed reading through it. It's always cool to see someone discovering great films for the first time. And judging by the progression of the write-ups/reviews, you're already getting better at expressing your thoughts on each film. Keep up the good work, Cole.

There has also been another thing that's bugging me. I don't really have a system for grading, but I feel like it would be so much easier for me to have one. Usually I will go with my gut, but I can be biased sometimes and be like "Oh, it's a [insert director/actor here] movie... I should bump it half a pop" without really thinking about it. I saw Rodent graded a movie by CGI, Characters, Plot, etc. but didn't see the whole thing.
Just stick with your gut and don't worry about whether or not your rating meshes with the general consensus.

Yeah, like Cap said, don't give a sh*t about what other people think. Finding the movies that don't speak to you, revered or not, is just as important in figuring out your taste as finding the movies you really like. Of course I like to like films, but there are some that just don't do it for me.

This is my first time ever visiting this thread. I enjoyed reading through it.
Thanks, people always talked about you (mostly good ) and I think you left right about when I joined. Really enjoyed reading your responses to other peoples' threads as well, it seems like you really know what you're talking about when it comes to this stuff

It's always cool to see someone discovering great films for the first time. And judging by the progression of the write-ups/reviews, you're already getting better at expressing your thoughts on each film. Keep up the good work, Cole.
Thank you, I really recently started getting really into movies and looking back at the reviews I did only 3 months ago I am pretty embarrassed lol. My thoughts have changed quite a bit and will probably change a lot in the future as well.

Just stick with your gut and don't worry about whether or not your rating meshes with the general consensus.
I'll try. Sometimes I end up subconsciously give a rating higher just because the director and all that, while if a no-name guy directed it then I probably would have rated it lower. I'm hoping that will change once I start getting into a bigger variety of films.

Yeah, like Cap said, don't give a sh*t about what other people think. Finding the movies that don't speak to you, revered or not, is just as important in figuring out your taste as finding the movies you really like. Of course I like to like films, but there are some that just don't do it for me.
I was kind of hoping you were eaten by beavers already but I guess i'll give in and respond to you . I'll definitely try to be a more independent thinker haha.

July 24th, 2015

The Prestige. Thriller. Christopher Nolan. 2006.

After a failed illusion ends up with the death of one of the two 19th century magicians' wives, they look to ruin each others career as much as possible in a battle for supremacy. As their feud escalates, they not only want to outwit each other... but destroy each other as well.

About a week ago, I sat down and at last watched the most hyped Christopher Nolan movie in Inception. Nolan had a great premise and executed amazingly... but I cannot say the same about this. I couldn't find anything I really loved about this movie and although it wasn't a terrible film by any means, it was very disappointing. It might not be the most popular movie from him, but is widely regarded as one of his best. The fact that it is on IMDB's top 250 as #52 should say enough, but I really didn't think this was anything special like his other movies including Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, or even Inception.

To start off, I thought Christian Bale didn't stand out at all in his performance unlike close to everything I have seen from him. Hugh Jackman seemed impress me more, but still didn't have an outstanding performance. It really seemed like at times they had to rely on the chemistry between the two that just didn't work for me. The biggest let-down performance had to be Rebecca Hall playing as the wife to Alfred (Bale). She just seemed bland and unimpressive, basically the exact opposite of what I saw from her in The Town. I will say though, Scarlett Johansson easily had the best performance and a huge surprise to me as I haven't really liked her performance in any of her other movies (other than L.I.T. somewhat).

Before watching, everything about this movie screamed ME! I always enjoyed magic, and surprisingly liked Now You See Me which is another movie about magicians. It started off on a pretty high note, but it seemed to get a lot less interesting once I got closer and closer to finishing it. The build up to the ending was decent, but the ending itself was so obvious to me and I think Nolan could have done a much better job concealing it. Another high point would be the premise. Two 19th century magicians who look to one up each other? That's pretty interesting to say the least. To top that off it also involves two pretty respected actors and one happens to be one of my favorites in the business in Christian Bale.

The film could have been done much better, and I'd say that it is my least favorite Christopher Nolan film even including The Dark Knight Rises. Even with the plot holes that are brought up way too often I found it really enjoyable and unlike this movie I could probably watch it a lot more often. I hope that this is the worst from him, because he's been touted as one of the most prestigious directors of this generation. I will probably watch this again once I finish all of Nolan's films but I am pretty certain that I will enjoy all of the rest more than this.

-

Last time I checked I really liked this film. Thought it was great even. So until a rewatch, I will disagree with this review.

Anyways, obviously I will rep and comment, because I do appreciate the effort and the review is far from badly written. Great job on another review Cole!

I must give you points for talking down to Rises. That is indeed a weak Nolan film. But anyways, I'm surprised you liked Now You See Me and disliked this one. I hated NYSM. I thought Bale was good as this cold character he was supposed to play. I thought the ending, of should I say endings, was far from predictable.

Anyways, good review! Glad to see you back with another one!

Last time I checked I really liked this film. Thought it was great even. So until a rewatch, I will disagree with this review.

Anyways, obviously I will rep and comment, because I do appreciate the effort and the review is far from badly written. Great job on another review Cole!
Thanks! Trying to get these out more often

I must give you points for talking down to Rises. That is indeed a weak Nolan film.
It is weak, but I still think people blow the plotholes out of proportion.

Yeah, there's plot holes. Big deal. Every movie has plotholes. It's still entertaining and it's batman so..

But anyways, I'm surprised you liked Now You See Me and disliked this one. I hated NYSM.
I mean it was ok, I'd give it a 3.25 but it was pretty entertaining and didn't try to be completely serious.

I thought Bale was good as this cold character he was supposed to play. I thought the ending, of should I say endings, was far from predictable.
I don't know, I could see it a mile away. I guess I'm just that smart

Kidding, I'm not sure why but I found it really obvious. It was the only thing I could think of by the end.

I agree with your assesment of TDKR Cole. Other than OMG PLOTHOLES THIS SUX!!! There aren't a ton of valid flaws with it. Your review feels more like you were disappointed than anything else, although a 3/5 isn't quite a bad score. I was really impressed with Jackman's performance, and Bale is pretty much always good, even if it's not as good as his other Nolan jobs.

I agree with your assesment of TDKR Cole. Other than OMG PLOTHOLES THIS SUX!!! There aren't a ton of valid flaws with it. Your review feels more like you were disappointed than anything else, although a 3/5 isn't quite a bad score. I was really impressed with Jackman's performance, and Bale is pretty much always good, even if it's not as good as his other Nolan jobs.
Yeah it was mostly disappointment sinking in. I mean cmon, it's the #52 on the IMDB top 250. I was just expecting more.

Yeah it was mostly disappointment sinking in. I mean cmon, it's the #52 on the IMDB top 250. I was just expecting more.
Soon you will learn that the IMDb Top 250 don't mean squat.

Soon you will learn that the IMDb Top 250 don't mean squat.
Ok fine

Just remember the best film of all time is 54 on the millennium list on here and this is 33.

Ok fine

Just remember the best film of all time is 54 on the millennium list on here and this is 33.
Soon you will learn most lists don't mean squat except your own.