Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Full Metal Jacket - Enjoyed this more than clockwork but didn't agree on it being a tale of two halves... I thought they both were solid but not perfect. One of the war movies I could easily watch which was surprising.

+
Real glad you liked it Cole especially with your disdain for war movies lol.

Master of My Domain
Why does Cole dislike war movies anyways? Maybe Mel Gibson's attempts at them left Cole with a permanent trauma?

Care for some gopher?
Michael (D, 1924, Carl Theodor Dreyer) -

Kingdom of Heaven DC (USA/GB/D/E/MA, 2005, Ridley Scott) -

Why does Cole dislike war movies anyways? Maybe Mel Gibson's attempts at them left Cole with a permanent trauma?
Nah he probably hasn't seen Mel Gibson's war movies. When he discovers them then he'll be a massive fan!

I have to return some videotapes.
I just can't get into them. None hold my interest and usually I want to turn it off 30 minutes in.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I just can't get into them. None hold my interest and usually I want to turn it off 30 minutes in.
May I recommend All Quiet on the Western Front?

Finished here. It's been fun.

Point Break

This was ridiculously fun and energetic. I thought twenty minutes had passed, but I had watched the entire movie. The film never lets up, probably one of the fastest paced films I've seen in a very long time. I had a huge grin on my face the entire time. Being one of the most masculine, testosterone-drive movies ever, it does come as a shock that the director was a woman. Fun, fun, fun.

A Werewolf in Slovenia: NR
CONGRATULATIONS!!! This is officially the first film that I have ever not finished. My sample size of 300+ might be comparatively small, but this is the first time I have ever sat down, watched a film, turned it off, and will never return to it. IMDB told me that this was a horror film about a werewolf going loose in Eastern Europe. It's actually a documentary about the cultural history of werewolves in Slovenia and the alleged sighting of one there in 2013. I'm not going to call it a bad movie, but I was in the mood to watch some underground horror. I do not care about a possible werewolf sighting, and I certainly don't care for a documentary on one.

Fritz Lang is a brilliant director. One of the greats of German Expressionism. But because of the rise of the Third Reich, Fritz hooped on a plane to America and never returned to Germany. But that did not stop him from making movies. He and a bunch of other German ex-pats brought their cinematography techniques to Hollywood with them. And their use of light and shadows became the basis for Film Noir. And Fritz is one of the best. And he proves it with a Noir masterpiece. Ranked up with the likes of Double Indemnity and Touch of Evil.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.

Tammy (2014)

Forget the movie Trainwreck -- this one WAS a trainwreck. It's a shame because Melissa McCarthy has the ability to be wickedly funny. Did not see anything remotely like that here. It starts out with MM in her POS car, stuffing her face w chips. It was here I got my first-scene "movie chill", where you can blatantly see where the whole thing is going, and not in a good way.

I'm assuming Susan Sarandon was supposed to be funny as the out-of-control grandmother, but then again I shouldn't assume. In fact, every "comic" event in this movie seemed like it was quickly thought up during a Hollywood brunch, with a weed card within easy reach.

The faux-romance was hard to take, and too much time was given to this obvious, anemic plot element. And the wealthy heart-of-gold lesbians saving the day, where on earth did that come from?

I understand that they wanted to show a human side to the story, but in a comedy, you need to hit the bullseye with the laughs, in order to properly pull that off. This one failed pretty miserably in that regard.