Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I'm still shook at this. So depressing and it doesn't seem to get much better. I didn't agree with the ending, but if someone could explain more that'd be nice. Great film, really enjoyed it but it doesn't seem like one I really ever want to rewatch. It's just too saddening.

Mystic River is 6/10 mainly because it's much more shallow and simplistic than it tries to be. I mean plot and moral aspects are too simple.

Touch of Evil (1958)

I watched the reconstructed version according to Orson Welles' notes to the studio and enjoyed it very much. I didn't know the difference because I'd never seen it in any form, except for the famous opening crane shot. It was an excellent film noir, mainly because of the performance of Orson Welles, IMO. He is terrific as the crooked lawman on the American side of the Mexican border. He has make-up that turns his famous face into someone completely different, a fat suit that totally changes his body (this was before he gained all the weight he would carry later in life). And his performance is awesome, with Welles in a three-piece suit (along with that make-up and fat suit!), walking on a cane because of a bullet-wound his character got years before, just taking up the screen (pun unintended).

The others, Charlton Heston, Janet Leigh, Marlene Dietrich, Akim Tamiroff, and Dennis Weaver among them, are all fine, although I didn't really buy Heston as a Mexican detective, but I just went with it. The mood is dark throughout and the story is not too complex as it is solved rather easily. Entertaining throughout, with great characters and great direction.

The Normal Heart (2014) has left me speechless, angry, heartbroken.. I cannot express how deeply it saddened me and this movie only touches the surface of the suffering people went through, and still go through today. Wonderful acting and directing, a much needed reminder.
Rate: A

Inhernet Vice (2014)

Well I think this is finally the nail in the coffin with me and PTA. I just don't really mesh with his movies. I've seen The Master, There Will Be Blood, part of Punch Drove Love, little bit of Boogie Nights and this one. Of the 3 complete movies I've watched of his the movies just drag and I am usually completely lost and uninterested. I get that he shoots beautiful movies and he does caress great performances out of his cast. But the story telling and the plot is always a struggle to follow along, at least for me. I like to be challenged but you have to give me touchstones to pay it off every now and again. Maybe I am just a dummy I don't know. Anyways thats my PTA feelings. To the movie.

Wow this thing is a mess plot wise. I was so disengaged most of the story. I can't even remember half their names or what was really motivating most of them. Once you get engaged into one part he throws you into a different direction never really paying it off. I saw a great review of it on YouTube comparing it to Chinatown, which I recently watched as well. Chinatown is sorta tough to follow too but it gives you a payoff at the end. This is a messier Chinatown that leaves you feeling disengaged and confused. I pulled up Wikipedia immediately after watching to read the plot and it cleared a couple things up but still not much. Positives in the movie is how PTA represented the 70s and the performances were great. But most characters were in and out so you couldn't appreciate them as much. You can have a cool atmosphere and as many great performances as possible, without a coherent plot, it's wasted.

Anyways I'd give it a light light 2 out of 5...performances save it from being a complete disaster to me.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Whiplash (2014)

This movie made me like Jazz. I used to not like Jazz. Enough said.

The A Team (2010)

Easily one of the most underappreciated movies ever. To be honest, I've never seen an episode of the original TV show so I don't know how much of its spirit has made its way into the movie, so I went in with a neutral attitude, expecting neither to be disappointed nor amazed (because of the movie's average ratings on Rotten Tomatoes).

I just wanted to see a good action movie. The A Team had me dropping my jaw several times. There's every single thing I could have ever wanted from an action movie: decent character development, badass one-liners, stuff blowing up and other cool stuff going on but all with a unique little twist to make it stand out.

I won't spoil for you what specifically happened but trust me, you need to see it if you care at all about action movies. Seriously.

Easily a benchmark for any popcorn action flick.

Fury (1936)

Excellent Fritz Lang film about mob violence and its consequences. Spencer Tracy excels as the wrongly accused man who almost loses his life and his secret plan for revenge. Sylvia Sydney is his intended who goes into shock when she thinks she's lost him, and Spencer's brothers have to keep his presence from her. There is a trial that takes up the last half of the film and is well done. It's really tense as people buckle under pressure. The final scene is a bit ambiguous but Lang handles it nicely. Recommended.

Inhernet Vice (2014)

Wow this thing is a mess plot wise. I was so disengaged most of the story. I can't even remember half their names or what was really motivating most of them. Once you get engaged into one part he throws you into a different direction never really paying it off. I saw a great review of it on YouTube comparing it to Chinatown, which I recently watched as well. Chinatown is sorta tough to follow too but it gives you a payoff at the end. This is a messier Chinatown that leaves you feeling disengaged and confused. I pulled up Wikipedia immediately after watching to read the plot and it cleared a couple things up but still not much. Positives in the movie is how PTA represented the 70s and the performances were great. But most characters were in and out so you couldn't appreciate them as much. You can have a cool atmosphere and as many great performances as possible, without a coherent plot, it's wasted.

Anyways I'd give it a light light 2 out of 5...performances save it from being a complete disaster to me.
Wow. I couldn't agree more. "On paper" it should have been a great movie and I liked the feel of it but I just could not follow it at first and lost interest in the middle. It was like there was lots of good to great scenes on their own, but I couldn't understand the plot.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Il colosso di Rodi a.k.a. The Colossus of Rhodes (Sergio Leone, 1961)

Leone's first film (excluding Last Days of Pompei, which in he only directed half of it). It felt nice to complete the filmography of one of the greatest directors of all time, finishing by his first work.
The movie didn't aged particularly well... The acting goes from decent to horrible (especially the main character, Rory Calhoun), the film is waaaaay to long and the script, with the exception of some good one liners, is not very good.The second hour is especially hard to swallow.
However, there's good things about this: the soundtrack is great, it's really well shot, the sets are pretty impressive considering when it was done, there's a couple of really nice action scenes, especially the last one, a really realistic earthquake and Lea Massari is a really good femme fatale.
It's not the worst debut movie I've ever seen, but it's far from being the best.

+

Master of My Domain
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989, Steven Spielberg)

Watched this for a Movie Forums live commentary. This film is a return to the more comical and lighter formula, which is a great decision but too much focus is on tanks, explosions, and diabolical Nazi plots that the heart of the original is lost.

-

Eh, Raiders is my least favorite of the trilogy.

Temple of Doom > The Last Crusade > Raiders

Still annoyed at you people though. I've missed out on commentaries of every one of them.

Megan is Missing (2011)

Megan and Amy are 14 year old best friends. Megan is popular and wild, while Amy is just the opposite. Megan meets a boy over the Internet, except the boy is not who she thought he was. Megan disappears. After Amy points out to the police that Megan was supposed to meet a guy she met online, they have their suspect, except they don't know who he is. After a few weeks, the same guy takes Amy. These girls are in the worst kind of trouble. This is a found footage film, which I'm not normally fond of, but it works well here. I wouldn't say it's expertly made or perfectly realistic, but it's in the ballpark, and this type of thing certainly does happen. It is effectively disturbing, and I would say it has some merit as a cautionary tale.

Banned in New Zealand!!

Welcome to the human race...
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back -

First time watching this since I had my Kevin Smith phase back in 2005. Still has a few good laughs, but it's still self-indulgent in a way that seems horrible even for a director that would eventually make a horror movie based on the results of a Twitter poll.