Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

A Better Tomorrow II - now that's an amazing flick! The grand finale is outta this world and Yun-Fat Chow is sooo badass in this one!
I was a few pages behind today, and I just caught your quote here, Mr. Minio and you are absolutely-frickin'-right! Love that movie and the last third is indeed one of the most balls-to-the-wall, crazy action-packed sequences I've ever seen. There's one moment (that I couldn't find an isolated clip of) where Chow throws a grenade into a house and walks away but I think in real-life that he didn't walk far enough away. His reaction is priceless and I think totally real.

HOOK (1991)

My great & worthy opponent? No ! Smee, who is this imposter
start the movie at about the 38 minute mark, and then fastforward through the scenes that don't have Dustin Hoffman. Capt Hoffman saves it when he gets the chance. All else is jibba jabba, 'specially Robin Williams & Julia Roberts
Bad form!

Rating:
7.0 / 10

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Killing them Softly

Average wiseguy movie that felt like it was pieced together with stuff found at a yard sale. Gandolfini's character served little purpose and seemed like a waste.

I doubt it helped that Netflix was buffering every 5 minutes.

The Cowboys
(Mark Rydell, 1972)

Never heard of this, so I'll add it to my watchlist now and hope to get round to it in the future

I'm glad you liked John Wayne, recently I've watched a load of his films, over the last few months he's become one of my favourite actors, possibly my favourite.

I was already aware of great performance in the likes of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Rio Bravo and The Searchers. These are what I watched recently:

El Dorado, Donovan's Reef, How The West Was Won, Hatari!, The Quiet Man, Fort Apache, Red River and Stagecoach.

I can highly recommend El Dorado and Hatari! as I know you're a big fan of Rio Bravo.

Then in terms of performances the two I'd recommend most are Stagecoach and Red River. The former I think is a great film you'd like a lot, but his character is awesome, it's like you're watching Wayne for the first time in a film and it's magical, one of the best entrances ever. The latter is a more cynical, villainous role, I remember Hawks talking about how he realised that there was a great human actor beneath this mythical Western character, and started to use him as such

Care for some gopher?
Batman (USA/GB, 1989, Tim Burton) -

Entertaining and charming movie with a great soundtrack and a great Jack Nicholson but also with several flaws.

Care for some gopher?
Batman Returns (USA/GB, 1992, Tim Burton) -

Not as entertaining as the first one. The atmosphere is amazing, though. Again, great Soundtrack! I really enjoyed Michelle Pfeiffer, although Catwoman was kind of trashy. Wasn't a fan of the Penguin.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
[center]Dolla Morte
(2006, USA)
Directed by Bill Zebub
5.5/10

This was a ridiculously funny over the top movie with dolls.
I was gonna ask you for more detail, but I couldn't wait and watched the trailer.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Great film! What's going on with only 2 stars? Noob.
where Chow throws a grenade into a house and walks away but I think in real-life that he didn't walk far enough away. His reaction is priceless and I think totally real.
It was real, but also awesome. I was screaming 'badass' to the screen when that happened. Here's a GIF of that scene:

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Master of My Domain
The Goonies (1985, Richard Donner)

Another attempt in trying to dig into the 1985 cult classic. I still can't muster up any good way to enjoy this film without having to painfully force myself.

The Goonies is all about, well, The Goonies, so they should be the most interesting, but nay, that's not the case. The are reduced to stereotypes, swapping character development for cheap, predictable laughs full of mean spirit that only makes you cringe instead of laugh in agreement and gleefulness. The only Goonie that helps makes the expedition easier is Delta, the typical Asian geek, others are reduced to pages of dialogue full of screams and horrible one-liners.

This is a PG film, but it has a lot of adult material. It prevents The Goonies from becoming a direct-to-DVD cheap family adventure, however it also restricts the possible fun and more daring, clever tone to it. Actually, it's more of the writing's fault, as in comparison Raiders of the Lost Ark has the same rating and producing style but has a lot more thrills and charm/ wit from subtle innuendo.

I don't how much of the villains and plot I'm supposed to take seriously. In an attempt to maintain a kid friendly flick status everything is thrown in smack in the middle of a boring situation to keep things go. Suddenly, there's a map in the middle of the attic, without any convincing reason, everyone is suddenly obsessed with finding the lost treasure, and especially become sentimental about dead pirates. The villains chasing them are poorly devised. They don't generate excitement, evilness, or create more sympathy for the heroes. Why did people think the villains, usually the core of a film like this, turned into incomprehensible, clumsy and bland bunch after a promising beginning, make things funny or in the least helpful to the plot?

Overall, I'm almost ready to give up on The Goonies, I won't be watching it again unless for a commentary, which will be fun to do. Can't wait to sink in my critical claws into it.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Joe Dirt 2.....

Negative 10 out of 10

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
M (Fritz Lang, 1931)

An impressive film, considering or not the year it was released! The directing and editing were amazing, Peter Lorre delivers a great perfomance and there are a lot of things that are I though I wouldn't see in a such early movie.
There are some beautiful shots and I loved how Lang tells the story only with images at some moments!
I kind of wanted a tense soundtrack in those silent scenes, but I understand the point!

Black Snake Moan (2006)

+

I thought this was a different and interesting movie, and I always like the southern setting and vibe. I love Sam Jackson, but sometimes criticize him for always playing the same role. He does a very good job in this, as does Christina Ricci playing a white trash tramp. I thought it dragged slightly at times, but I quite liked it.

I didn't realize it was out of your top 10, but it was good, I liked it!
It used to be #10, but got bumped in favor of Mary and Max. And I'd probably put Her at #11, which would put this at #12 at the highest. I plan to redo my top 100 either later this year or early next year , so I'll be rewatching a lot of favorites to decide the order. I did a commentary on BSM with honeykid recently, though, and still really loved it. I also bought all of the SLJ songs from the soundtrack on iTunes and listen to them fairly often.

Care for some gopher?
Batman Forever (USA/GB, 1995, Joel Schumacher) -

*facepalm* This movie was just garbage!

Backcountry (2014) - Adam MacDonald

- Nice survival horror but the beginning is so d*mn overlong...

+